- Volume 9 Issue 2
A high voltage pulse generator was fabricated to radiate ultrawide band electromagnetic pulse. A coaxial type of Blumlein pulse forming line is employed to produce a pulse of high voltage (>300 kV) and short pulse duration (~5 ns). A helical strip/wire type of air-cored pulse transformer was used to charge the Blumlein pulse forming line up to more than 300 kV. A peaking switch is essential to make the pulse rise time as fast as possible. Typically, the rise time is ~500 ps. The output pulse of the generator is radiated into air through an exponentially tapered TEM horn antenna. The electric field intensity of a radiated pulse was measured as a function of the distance from the transmitting horn as well as the output voltage of the peaking switch. The peak-to-peak value of the electric field intensity at 10 m from the TEM antenna was~100 kV/m.
Blumlein PFL;High voltage;TEM antenna;Ultrawide band;EMP
- M. Camp, H. Gerth, H. Garbe, and H. Haase, "Predicting the breakdown behavior of microcontrollers under EMP/UWB impact using a statistical analysis," IEEE Trans. Electromagn. Compat. vol. 46, no. 3, pp. 368-379, Aug. 2004. https://doi.org/10.1109/TEMC.2004.831816
- D. Nitsch, M. Camp, F. Sabath, J. L. Haseborg, and H. Garbe, "Susceptibility of some electronic equip-ment to HPEM threats," IEEE Trans. Electromagn. Compat. vol. 46, no. 3, pp. 380-389, Aug. 2004. https://doi.org/10.1109/TEMC.2004.831842
- D. V. Giri and F. M. Tesche, "Classification of intentional electromagnetic environments (IEME)," IEEE Trans. Electromagn. Compat. vol. 46, no. 3, pp. 322-328, Aug. 2004. https://doi.org/10.1109/TEMC.2004.831819
- E. H. Choi, M. C. Choi, Y. Jung. M. W. Chong, J. J. Ko, Y. Seo, G. S. Cho, H. S. Uhm, and H. Suk, "High- Power Microwave Generation from an Axially Extracted Virtual Cathode Oscillator", IEEE Trans. Plasma Sci., vol. 28, no. 6, pp. 2128-2134, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1109/27.902240
- Y. S. Jin, S. W. Lim, C. H. Cho, J. S. Kim, Y. B. Kim, S. H. Lee, and Y. Roh, "High voltage ultrawide band pulse generator using Blumlein pulse forming line," Rev. Sci. Instrum. vol. 83, pp. 44704-1-44704-5, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1063/1.3703307
- S. W. Lim, C. H. Cho, H. J. Ryoo, J. S. Kim, G. H. Rim and Y. S. Jin, "Fabrication and operation testing of a dual resonance pulse transformer for PFL pulse charging," J. Korean Phys. Soc., vol. 59, no 6, pp. 3679-3682, Dec. 2011. https://doi.org/10.3938/jkps.59.3679
- D. Blumlein, U.S. Patent 2,465,840, 304, 1948
- P. W. Smith, Transient Electronics-Pulsed Circuit Technology, Wiley, Oxford, 2002, pp. 154-163.
- J. M. Lehr, C. E. Baum, W. D. Prather, and R. J. Torres, Ultra-Wideband, Short-Pulse Electromagnetics 4, Kluwer Academic/Plenum Publishers, New York, 1999, pp. 15-19.
- R. T. Lee and G. S. Smith, "A design study for the basic TEM Horn Antenna," IEEE Antennas Propag. Mag., vol. 46, no. 1, pp. 86-92, Feb. 2004.