- Volume 15 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Mutual Recognition of National Military Airworthiness Authorities: A Streamlined Assessment Process
Purton, Leon;Kourousis, Kyriakos I.;Clothier, Reece;Massey, Kevin
- Received : 2013.11.20
- Accepted : 2014.03.06
- Published : 2014.03.30
The Air and Space Interoperability Council (ASIC) has adopted the European Defence Agency (EDA) process for inter-regulatory military airworthiness authority recognition. However, there are gaps in the application of this process to nations outside of the European Union. This paper proposes a model that can effectively map diverse technical airworthiness regulatory frameworks. This model, referred to as the Product-Behaviour-Process (PBP) Bow-Tie model, provides the systematic structure needed to represent and compare regulatory frameworks. The PBP Bow-Tie model identifies key points of difference that need to be addressed, during inter-agency recognition between the two regulatory authorities. With the intention to adopt global use of the EDA process, the proposed PBP Bow-Tie model can be used as a basis for the successful recognition of regulatory frameworks outside of the European Union. Iris plots produced from the implementation of this model are presented, and proposed as a suitable means of illustrating the outcome of an assessment, and of supporting the comparisons of results. A comparative analysis of the Australian Defence Force and New Zealand Defence Force airworthiness regulatory frameworks is used as a case study. The case study clearly illustrates the effectiveness of the model in discerning regulatory framework differences; moreover, it has offered an opportunity to explore the limitations of the Iris plot.
airworthiness;military aviation;military airworthiness authority;regulations;assessment framework;mutual recognition;bow-tie model
- C. Masterton, "A Vision for European Military Airworthiness Harmonisation - Powerpoint presentation," 21 Apr 2013.
- Military Airworthiness Authority (MAWA), "Military Airworthiness Authourity Forum Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)," 12 Mar 2013.
- European Defence Agency. "European Military Airworthiness - EDA project webpage," 10 Apr 2013.
- European Defence Agency, "European Military Airworthiness Document - Recognition (EMAD-R)," 2013.
- M. Toy, "External Recogntion - MAA (UK) and AMRDEC (US Army), presentation to MAC 2013."
- L. Purton, and K. Kourousis, "Military airworthiness management frameworks: a critical review," Procedia Engineering, In Press - Accepted Manuscript.
- L. Purton, R. Clothier, and K. Kourousis, "Assessment of Technical Airworthiness in Military Aviation: Implementation and Further advancement of the Bow-Tie Model," Procedia Engineering, In Press - Accepted Manuscript.
- R. Ferdous, F. Khan, and R. Sadiq et al., "Analyzing system safety and risks under uncertainty using a bowtie diagram: An innovative approach," Process Safety and Environmental Protection, Vol. 91, No. 1-2, 2013, pp. 1-18. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.psep.2011.08.010
- K. Mokhtari, J. Ren, and C. Roberts et al., "Application of a generic bow-tie based risk analysis framework on risk management of sea ports and offshore terminals," Journal of Hazardous Materials,Vol. 192, No. 2, 2011, pp. 465-475. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhazmat.2011.05.035
- A. S. Markowski, and A. Kotynia, "Bow-tie model in layer of protection analysis," Process Safety and Environmental Protection, Vol. 89, No. 4, 2011, pp. 205-213. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.psep.2011.04.005
- N. Khakzad, F. Khan, and P. Amyotte, "Dynamic risk analysis using bow-tie approach," Reliability Engineering & System Safety, Vol. 104, No. 0, 2012, pp. 36-44. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ress.2012.04.003
- R. Ferdous, F. Khan, and R. Sadiq et al., "Handling and updating uncertain information in bow-tie analysis," Journal of Loss Prevention in the Process Industries, Vol. 25, No. 1, 2012, pp. 8-19. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jlp.2011.06.018
- S. Lewis, and K. Smith, "Lessons learned from real world application of the bow-tie method," 6th Global Congress on Process Safety, San Antonio, Texas, USA, 2010, pp. 472-483.
- F. R. Chevreau, J. L. Wybo, and D. Cauchois, "Organizing learning processes on risks by using the bowtie representation," Journal of Hazardous Materials, Vol. 130, No. 3, 2006, pp. 276-283. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhazmat.2005.07.018
- N. J. Duijm, "Safety-barrier diagrams as a safety management tool," Reliability Engineering and System Safety, Vol. 94, No. 2, 2009, pp. 332-341. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ress.2008.03.031
- M. J. Gifford, S. M. Gilbert, and I. Barnes, "The Use of Bow-tie Analysis in OME Safety Cases," ESAS, Bristol, UK, 2003.
- E. A. Bale, and D. W. Edwards, "Technical Integrity- An Engineer's View," Process Safety and Environmental Protection, Vol. 78, No. 5, 2000, pp. 355-361. https://doi.org/10.1205/095758200530871
- J. Reason, "Education and debate: Human error: Models and management," British Medical Journal, Vol. 320, No. 7237, 2000, pp. 768-70. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.320.7237.768
- J. Reason, Human Error, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK, 1990 (first published).
- J. Reason, Managing the risks of organizational accidents, Ashgate, Aldershot,1997.
- J. Rasmussen, and I. Svedung, Proactive Risk Management in a Dynamic Society, First ed.: Risk & Environmental Department, Swedish Rescue Services Agency, Karlstad, 2000.
- J. Rasmussen, "Risk management in a dynamic society: A modelling problem," Safety Science, Vol. 27, No. 2-3, 1997, pp. 183-213. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0925-7535(97)00052-0
- Civil and military airworthiness challenges in Asia vol.19, pp.2, 2015, https://doi.org/10.3846/16487788.2015.1057993
- Continuing Airworthiness: Major Drivers and Challenges in Civil and Military Aviation vol.19, pp.4, 2015, https://doi.org/10.3846/16487788.2015.1126909
- Safety management systems: an opportunity and a challenge for military aviation organisations pp.0002-2667, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1108/AEAT-05-2018-0146