- Volume 15 Issue 1
In this paper, the effect of Lorentz force on the stability of attitude orientation of a charged spacecraft moving in an elliptic orbit in the geomagnetic field is considered. Euler equations are used to derive the equations of attitude motion of a charged spacecraft. The equilibrium positions and its stability are investigated separately in the pitch, roll and yaw directions. In each direction, we use the Lorentz force to identify an attitude stabilization parameter. The analytical methods confirm that we can use the Lorentz force as a stabilization method. The charge-to-mass ratio is the main key of control, in addition to the components of the radius vector of the charged center of the spacecraft, relative to the center of mass of the spacecraft. The numerical results determine stable and unstable equilibrium positions. Therefore, in order to generate optimum charge, which may stabilize the attitude motion of a spacecraft, the amount of charge on the surface of spacecraft will need to be monitored for passive control.
Lorentz force;Charged spacecraft;Attitude dynamics;Control of spacecraft;Stability
- Tikhonov, A. A., Spasic, D. T., Antipov, K. A. and Sablina, M. V., "Optimizing theelectrodynamical stabilization method for a man-made Earth satellite", Automation and Remote Control, Vol. 72, No. 9, 2011, pp. 1898-1905. https://doi.org/10.1134/S0005117911090116
- Pollock, G. E., Gangestad, J. W., and Longuski, J. M., "Analytical solutions for the relative motion of spacecraft subject to Lorentz-force perturbations", Acta Astronautica, Vol 68, No. 1, 2011, pp. 204-217. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.actaastro.2010.07.007
- Chao, P. and Yang, G., "Lorentz force perturbed orbits with application to J2-invariant formation", Acta Astronautica, Vol . 77, No. 1, 21012, pp. 12-28. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.actaastro.2012.03.002
- Griffiths, D. J., Introduction to Electrodynamics, Prentice Hall, Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey, 1989.
- Abdel-Aziz, Y. A., "Lorentz force effects on the orbit of a charged artificial satellite: A new approach", Applied Mathematical Sciencs, Vol. 1, No. 31, 2007, pp. 1511-1518.
- Vokrouhlicky, D., "The geomagnetic effects on the motion of an electrically charged artificial satellite", Celestial Mechanics and Dynamical Astronomy, Vol. 46, No. 1, 1989, pp. 85-104. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02426715
- Gangestad, J. W., Pollock, G. E and Longuski, J. M., "Lagrange's planetray equations for the motion of electrostatically charged spacecraft", Celest Mech Dyn. Astr., Vol. 108, No. 2, 2010, pp. 125-145. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10569-010-9297-z
- Peck, M. A., "Prospects and challenges for Lorentz - augmented orbits" AIAA Guidance, Navigation, and Control Conference, AIAA, San Francisco, CA, 2005, pp. 5995
- King, L. B., Parker, G.G., Deshmukh, S. and Chong, J.H., "Study of interspace coulomb forces and implications for formation flying, Journal of Propulsion and Power", Vol. 19, No. 3, 2003, pp. 497-505. https://doi.org/10.2514/2.6133
- Natarajan, A. and Schaub, H., "Linear dynamics and stability analysis of a coulomb tether formation", Journal of Guidance Control and Dynamics , Vol. 29, 2006, pp. 831-839. https://doi.org/10.2514/1.16480
- Streetman, B., and Peck, M. A., "New synchronous orbits using the geomagnetic Lorentz force", Journal of Guidance Control and Dynamics, Vol. 30, No 6, 2007, pp. 1677-1690. https://doi.org/10.2514/1.29080
- Utako, Y. and Hiroshi, Y., "Two-craft coulomb-force formation dynamics and stability analysis with debyelength characteristics", AIAA/AAS Astrodynamics Specialist Conference, AIAA, Honolulu, Hawaii, 2008, pp.7361
- Hiroshi, Y., Katsuyuki, Y and Mai, B., Spacecraft formation dynamics under the influence of geomagnetic Lorentz force, Twenty-seventh International Symposium on Space Technology and Science, 2009.
- Abdel-Aziz, Y. A., "Attitude stabilization of a rigid spacecraft in the geomagnetic field", Adv. Space Res, Vol. 40, No 1, 2007, pp. 18-24. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.asr.2007.03.038
- Yamakawa, H., Hachiyama, S and Bando, M., "Attitude dynamics of a pendulum-shaped charged satellite",. Acta Astronautica, Vol. 70, 2012, pp. 77-84. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.actaastro.2011.07.019
- Wertz, J. R., Spacecraft attitude determination and control, D. Reidel Publishing Company, Dordecht, Holland,1978.