- Volume 24 Issue 4
The Research Trends on the Acupuncture Treatment of Lumbar Herniated Intervertebral Disc Using PubMed Database
PubMed 검색을 통한 요추 추간판 탈출증의 침치료 연구 동향
- Shin, Woo-Suk (Department of Korean Rehabilitation of Medicine, College of Korean Medicine, Sang-Ji University) ;
- Park, Won-Hyung (Department of Korean Rehabilitation of Medicine, College of Korean Medicine, Sang-Ji University) ;
- Cha, Yun-Yeop (Department of Korean Rehabilitation of Medicine, College of Korean Medicine, Sang-Ji University)
- Received : 2014.09.16
- Accepted : 2014.10.01
- Published : 2014.10.31
Objectives The purpose of this study is to research current trends of acupuncture treatment of lumbar herniated intervertebral disc using the PubMed database. Methods We set up the search strategy and investigated clinical trials on acupuncture treatment of lumbar herniated intervertebral disc through PubMed search. This study analyzed previous researched papers published from January 1st, 2000 to April 30th, 2014, and classified them by publication year, journal names, types of literature, treatment methods and evaluation scales. To assess the quality of the reviewed literature, randomized controlled trial (RCT) studies were assessed by Cochrane's risk of bias (ROB) tool and non-RCT studies were assessed by risk of bias for non-randomized studies (RoBANS). Results We found 35 studies on the acupuncture treatment of lumbar herniated intervertebral disc. Papers on this topic have been published, on average, three to four times annually in 9 journals since the mid-2000's. The journal with the largest number of publications was Chinese Acupuncture & Moxibustion, and most of articles were classified as RCT. Acupuncture treatment was performed individually or together with other treatments. The most frequently used pain evaluation index was visual analogue scale (VAS). The index of effective rate was used frequently but there was a lack of objectivity. In regards to the quality of the studies, outcome assessment in RCT showed that random sequence generation, allocation concealment, and the blinding of participants and personnel increase potential of risk of bias. For non-RCT assessment, outcome showed that confounding variable, measurement of intervention were at high risk of bias. Conclusions In order to obtain objective clinical evidence of acupuncture treatment of lumbar herniated intervertebral disc, further clinical studies should be designed to minimize the risk of bias, using STRICTA with larger sample sizes.
Supported by : 상지대학교
- Balague F, Mannion AF, Pellise F, Cedraschi C. The Lancet. Non-specific low back pain. 2012;379(9814):482-91. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(11)60610-7
- 대한정형외과학회. 정형외과학 제5판. 서울: 최신의학사. 2004;379:451-2.
- Jang HG, Lee YG. Natural History and Clinical Manifestations of Lumbar Disc Herniation. Journal of Korean Spine. 2001;8(3):305-13. https://doi.org/10.4184/jkss.2001.8.3.305
- Schoenfelf AJ. Weniner BK. Treatment of lumbar disc herniation: Evidence-based practice. International Journal of General Medicine. 2010;3:209-14.
- Saal JA, Saal JS. Nonoperative treatment of herniated lumbar intervertebral disc with radiculopathy. An Outcome Study. 1989;14(4):431-7. https://doi.org/10.1097/00007632-198904000-00018
- 대한침구의학회. 침구의학. 서울: 집문당. 2012:5-17, 76-136, 143-53.
- Cho HJ, Sul JU, Shin MS. Research Trends on the Treatment of Lumbar Herniated Intervertebral Disc in Korean Medicine. Korean Journal of Acupuncture. 2012;29(4):501-8.
- Van der Windt DA. Simons E, Riphagen II, Ammendolia C, Verhagen AP, Laslett M, et al. Physical examination for lumbar radiculopathy due to disc herniation in patients with low-back pain. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2010;2(2).
- Lee YJ, Jang BH, Go HY, Hyun MK, Park SY, Lee CH, et al. The Assessment of Risk of Bias on Randomised Controlled Trials of Oriental Medicine in Korea. The Journal of Oriental Obstetrics & Gynecology. 2011;24(4):105-13.
- Lim SM, Shin ES, Lee SH, Seo KH, Jung YM, Jang JE. Tools for assessing quality and risk of bias by levels of evidene. J Korean Med Assoc. 2011;54(4):419-29. https://doi.org/10.5124/jkma.2011.54.4.419
- Kim SY, Ji SM, Lee SJ, Lee YJ, Park JE, Nam MH, Park JA. Guidance for development of clinical practice guidelines. NECA. 2011:46-53, 82-97.
- 대한통증학회. 통증의학(둘째판). 서울: 군자출판사. 2000:3.
- Lee SH, Park JH. The Study of Factors Affecting Functional Disability of the Low Back Pain Patients Using Oswestry Disability Index(ODI) Assessment Tool. Korean J Orthop Manu Ther. 2007;13(1):18-25.
- Shabandar L, Press J. Diagnosis and Nonoperative Management of Lumbar Disk Herniation. Operative Techniques in Sports Medicine. 2005;13:114-21. https://doi.org/10.1053/j.otsm.2005.08.002
- Mixter WJ, Barr JS. Rupture of the intervertebral disc with involvement of the spinal canal. NEngl J Med. 1934;211:210-5. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJM193408022110506
- Weber H. Lumbar disc herniation : A controlled prospective study with ten years of observation. Spine. 1983;8:131-40. https://doi.org/10.1097/00007632-198303000-00003
- Teplick JG. Spontaneous regression of herniated nucleus pulposus. AJR. 1985;145:371-5. https://doi.org/10.2214/ajr.145.2.371
- Ito T, Yamada M, Ikuta F, Fukada T, Hoschi S, Kawaji Y, et al. Histologic evidence of absorption of sequestration type herniated disc. Spine. 1996;21:230-4. https://doi.org/10.1097/00007632-199601150-00014
- National Health Insurance Service. 질병소분류별 입원 다빈도 상병 급여현황(2011년_한방)[Internet]. Daejeon. [cited 2014 May 20]. Available from: URL: http://kosis.kr/statHtml/statHtml.do?orgId=350&tblId=DT_35001_A803&vw_cd=MT_ZTITLE&list_id=350_35001_6&seqNo=&lang_mode=ko&language=kor&obj_var_id=&itm_id=&conn_path=E1.
- National Health Insurance Service. 질병소분류별 다빈도상병 급여현황(2011년_한방)[Internet]. Daejeon. [cited 2014 May 20]. Available from:URL: http://kosis.kr/statHtml/statHtml.do?orgId=350&tblId=DT_35001_A802&vw_cd=&list_id=&scrId=&seqNo=&lang_mode=ko&obj_var_id=&itm_id=&conn_path=K1&path=.
- Sackett DL, Rosenberg WM, Gray JA, Haynes RB, Richardson WS. Evidence based medicine: What it is and what it isn't. BMJ. 1996;312(7023):71-2. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.312.7023.71
- Park SY. Information service based on Evidence-based medicine: A Case study of the evidence-based services. Journal of the Korean medical informatics. 2010;37(1,2):14-23.
- MacPherson H, White A, Cummings M, Jobst K, Rose K, Niemtzow R. Standards for reporting intervention in controlled trials of acupuncture: the STRICTA recommendations. Complement Ther Med. 2001;9:246-9. https://doi.org/10.1054/ctim.2001.0488
- Lee HS, Cha SJ, Park JH, Seo JC, Park JB, Lee HJ. Revised Standards for Reporting Interventions in Clinical Trials of Acupuncture(STRICTA) : Extending the CONSORT Statement. Korean Journal of Acupuncture. 2010;27(3):1-23.