- Volume 24 Issue 4
The Study on History Period and Treatment Outcomes of Patients Admitted to a Korean Medicine Hospital for Low Back Pain
요통으로 한방병원에 입원한 환자의 병력기간별 호전도에 관한 연구
- Cho, Changyoung (Rehabilitation Medicine of Korean Medicine, Jaseng Hospital of Korean Medicine) ;
- Kim, Wonwoo (Rehabilitation Medicine of Korean Medicine, Jaseng Hospital of Korean Medicine) ;
- Seong, Ikhyun (Rehabilitation Medicine of Korean Medicine, Jaseng Hospital of Korean Medicine) ;
- Lee, Kapsoo (Rehabilitation Medicine of Korean Medicine, Jaseng Hospital of Korean Medicine) ;
- Jung, Jaehoon (Rehabilitation Medicine of Korean Medicine, Jaseng Hospital of Korean Medicine) ;
- Park, Sangwon (Rehabilitation Medicine of Korean Medicine, Jaseng Hospital of Korean Medicine) ;
- Lee, Jinho (Rehabilitation Medicine of Korean Medicine, Jaseng Hospital of Korean Medicine) ;
- Ha, Inhyuk (Rehabilitation Medicine of Korean Medicine, Jaseng Hospital of Korean Medicine)
- 조창영 (자생한방병원 한방재활의학과) ;
- 김원우 (자생한방병원 한방재활의학과) ;
- 성익현 (자생한방병원 한방재활의학과) ;
- 이갑수 (자생한방병원 한방재활의학과) ;
- 정재훈 (자생한방병원 한방재활의학과) ;
- 박상원 (자생한방병원 한방재활의학과) ;
- 이진호 (자생한방병원 한방재활의학과) ;
- 하인혁 (자생한방병원 한방재활의학과)
- Received : 2014.09.19
- Accepted : 2014.10.01
- Published : 2014.10.31
Objectives Low back pain causes disability and incurs large socioeconomic burden. Many cases of acute low back pain progress into chronic conditions. As the treatment period extends, burden of socioeconomic expenses also rises. Thus this study is to investigate whether history period influences improvement rate of pain and disability in the patients who receive conservative Korean medicine treatment. Methods 447 inpatients who received conservative Korean Medicine treatment for the management of low back pain have been grouped into acute, sub-acute and chronic according to the length of history period. NRS, ODI and improvement rate of each group were investigated. Treatment every patient has received as follow; acupuncture, herbal medicine, Chuna manipulation, bee venom, and physical treatment. Results Acute patients showed improvement with NRS of
Low back pain;LBP;Korean medicine;Conservative treatment;History period
- Frymoyer JW, Pope MH, Clements JH, et al. Risk factors in low back pain. An epidemiological survey. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1983;65:213-8. https://doi.org/10.2106/00004623-198365020-00010
- Ratti N, Pilling K. Back pain in the workplace. British J Rheumatol 1997;36(2):260-4. https://doi.org/10.1093/rheumatology/36.2.260
- Andersson GBJ. Epidemiological features of chronic low back pain. Lancet 1999;354:581-5. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(99)01312-4
- Friedman BW, Chilstrom M, Bijur PE, et al. Diagnostic testing and treatment of low back pain in United States emergency departments: a national perspective. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2010;35:E1406-11. https://doi.org/10.1097/BRS.0b013e3181d952a5
- Pengel LH, Herbert RD, Maher CG, et al. Acute low back pain: systematic review of its prognosis. BMJ 2003;327:323. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.327.7410.323
- Henschke N, Maher CG, Refshauge KM, et al. Prognosis in patients with recent onset low back pain in Australian primary care: inception cohort study. BMJ 2008;337:154-7.
- van Tulder M, Becker A, Bekkering T, Breen A, del Real MT, Hutchinson A, Koes B, Laerum E, Malmivaara A. Chapter 3. European guidelines for the management of cute nonspecific low back pain in primary care. Eur Spine J 2006;15:S169-91. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00586-006-1071-2
- Waddell G. The Back Pain Revolution. Edinburgh;Churchill-Livingstone;1998.
- 이복임. 산업재해로 인한 요통근로자의 치료기간에 영향을 미치는 요인. 서울대 보건대학원 석사학위 논문. 2000.
- Sherman KJ, Cherkin DC, Connelly MT et al. Complementary and alternative medical therapies for chronic low back pain: what treatments are patients willing to try. BMC Complement Altern Med 2004;4:9. https://doi.org/10.1186/1472-6882-4-9
- Millar WJ. Patterns of use: alternative health-care practitioners. Health Rep 2001;13:9-22.
- Haake M, Muller HH, Schade-Brittinger C, Basler HD, Schafer H, Maier C, Endres HG, Trampisch HJ, Molsberger A. German Acupuncture Trials (GERAC) for chronic low back pain: randomized, multicenter, blinded, parallel-group trial with 3 groups. Arch Intern Med 2007;167:1892-8. https://doi.org/10.1001/Archinte.167.17.1892
- 이상무. 연세대학교 학위논문. 일부 한방병원에 내원한 요통 환자의 중복의료이용에 관한 연구. 2003.
- 김지선. 한양대학교 공공정책대학원 석사논문. 요통환자들의 한의약의료이용에 미치는 요인. 2010.
- Yuan J, Kerr D, Park J, et al. Treatment regimens of acupuncture for low back pain -a systematic review. Complement Ther Med 2008;16:295-304. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ctim.2008.04.006
- Chung HJ, Lee HS, Shin JS, Lee SH, Park BM, Youn YS, Lee SK. Modulation of acute and chronic inflammatory processes by a traditional medicine preparation GCSB-5 both in vitro and in vivo animal models. Journal of Ethnopharmacology. 2010;130:450-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jep.2010.05.020
- Kim TH, Yoon SJ, Lee WC, Kim JK, Shin J, Lee S, Lee SM. Protective effect of GCSB-5, an herbal preparation, against peripheral nerve injury in rats. Journal of Ethnopharmacology. 2011;136:297-304. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jep.2011.04.037
- Kim JK, Park SW, Kang JW, Kim YJ, Lee SY, Shin J, Lee S, Lee SM. Effect of GCSB-5, a Herbal Formulation, onMonosodium Iodoacetate-Induced Osteoarthritis in Rats. Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine. 2012:1-11.
- 전병철, 김은수, 김동섭, 김태헌, 김지용. 요추추간판탈출증에 대한 신바로약침의 효과 : 무작위 대조군 시험. 척추신경추나의학회지. 2011;6(2):109-19.
- 안수기, 이삼로, 양유선. 화타협척혈에 대한 문헌적 고찰. 대한침구학회지. 2000;17(4):139-48.
- Krishnaney AA, Park A, Benzell EC. Surgical management of neck and LBP. Neurol Clin 2007;25:507-22. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ncl.2007.01.005
- Patrick D. wall, Ronald Mozack. 통증학. 서울:도서출판 정담. 2002:483-4.
- Deyo RA, Battie M, Beurskens AJ, Bombardier C, Croft P, Koes B, et al.Outcome measures for low back pain research: a proposal for standardized use. Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 1998;23:2003-13. https://doi.org/10.1097/00007632-199809150-00018
- Chang-Hoon Jeon, Dong-Jae Kim, Se-Kang Kim, Dong-Jun Kim, Hwan-Mo Lee, Heui-Jeon Park. Validation in the Cross-Cultural Adaptation of the Korean Version of the Oswestry Disability Index. J Korean Med Sci 2006;21:1092-7. https://doi.org/10.3346/jkms.2006.21.6.1092
- Deyo RA, Mirza SK, Martin BI. Back pain prevalence and visit rates: estimates from US national surveys, 2002. Spine. 2006; 31:2724-7. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.brs.0000244618.06877.cd
- Fardon DF, Milette PC. Nomenclature and Classification of Lumbar Disc Pathology: Recommendations of the Combined Task Forces of the North American Spine Society, American Society of Spine Radiology, and American Society of Neuroradiology. Spine. 2001;26(5):74-113. https://doi.org/10.1097/00007632-200103010-00002
- Cevik R, Gur A, Nas K, Kaptan H, Em S, Can AR, et al. 350 Evalutaion of patients with chronic back pains. Ege J Physical and Medical Rehabilation 2001;7(3):97-103.
- Weinstein JN, Lurie JD, Tosteson TD, Skinner JS, Hanscom B, Tosteson AN, et al. Surgical vs nonoperative treatment for lumbar disk herniation: the Spine Patient Outcomes Research Trial (SPORT) observational cohort. JAMA 2006;296:2451-9. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.296.20.2451
- Peul WC, van Houwelingen HC, van den Hout WB, Brand R, Eekhof JA, Tans JT, Thomeer RT, Koes BW (2007) Surgery versus prolonged conservative treatment for sciatica. N Engl J Med 356:2245-56. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa064039
- Chou R, Huffman LH, American Pain Society; American College of Physicians. Nonpharmacologic therapies for acute and chronic LBP: a review of the evidence for an American Pain Society. American College of Physicians clinical practice guideline. Ann Intern Med 2007;147(7):492-504. https://doi.org/10.7326/0003-4819-147-7-200710020-00007
- Legrand E, Bouvard B, Audran M, Fournier D, Valat JP, Spine Section of the French Society for Rheumatology. Sciatica from disk herniation: medical treatment or surgery. Joint Bone Spine. 2007;74(6):530-5. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbspin.2007.07.004
- Kotilainen E, Valtonen S (1993) Clinical instability of the lumbar spine after microdiscectomy. Acta Neurochir (Wien) 125:120-6. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01401838
- Weir BK, Jacobs GA. Reoperation rate following lumbar discectomy. An analysis of 662 lumbar discectomies. Spine. 1980;5(4):366-70. https://doi.org/10.1097/00007632-198007000-00010
- Law JD, Lehman RA, Kirsch WM. Reoperation after lumbar intervertebral disc surgery. J Neurosurg. 1978;48 Hazard RG. Failed back surgery syndrome: surgical and nonsurgical approaches. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2006;443: 228-32. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.blo.0000200230.46071.3d
- Weber H. Lumbar disc herniation: A controlled, prospective study with ten years of observation. Spine 1983;8:131-40. https://doi.org/10.1097/00007632-198303000-00003
- Fairbank JC, Pynsent PB. The Oswestry Disability Index. Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 2000;25:2940-52. https://doi.org/10.1097/00007632-200011150-00017
- Ostelo RW, Deyo RA, Stratford P, Waddell G, Croft P, Von Korff M, et al. Interpreting change scores for pain and functional status in low back pain: towards international consensus regarding minimal important change. Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 2008;33:90-4. https://doi.org/10.1097/BRS.0b013e31815e3a10
- Park JJ, Shin J, Choi Y, Youn Y, Lee S, Kwon SR, Lee H, Kang MH, Ha IH, Shin I. Integrative package for low back pain with leg pain in Korea: A prospective cohort study. Complementary Therapies in Medicine. 2010;18:78-86. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ctim.2010.02.003