- Volume 24 Issue 4
Objectives To investigate the relationship of forward head posture to heart rate variability and standing posture (pelvic tilt, knee flexion, calcaneal eversion). Methods In the present study, thirty two subjects were recruited by convenience sampling. The forward head posture was measured via the craniovertebral (CV) angle. The pelvic tilt angle, the knee flexion angle, the calcaneal eversion angle, and the heart rate variability were measured. The correlations of forward head posture to heart rate variability and standing posture (pelvic tilt, knee flexion, calcaneal eversion) were analyzed. Results In the present results, there was a significant negative correlation between X-ray CV angle and other regions except the headache. There was a weak positive correlation between Posture CV angle and SDNN. Significant positive correlation was found between KFA and difference between Lt. & Rt. CEA. Significant weak negative correlation was found between SDNN and difference between Lt. & Rt. CEA. Conclusions Biomechanical associated with physical pain and heart rate variability, and it is related to the forward head posture changes and also suggest that clinical care is needed for this.
The forward head posture;Heart rate variability;Pelvic tilt angle;Knee flexion angle;Calcaneal eversion angle
- Haughie L.J., Fiebert I.M., Roach K.E. Relationship of forward head posture and cervical backward bending to neck pain. The Journal of manual & Manipulative Therapy. 1995;3(3):91-7. https://doi.org/10.1179/jmt.19184.108.40.206
- Florence Kendall, Elizabeth Kendall McCreary, Patricia Geise Provance. Muscles - testing and function with posture and pain. 5th edition. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins. 2005:64
- Mekhora K., Liston C.B., Nanthavanij S., Cole J.H. The effect of ergonomic intervention on discomfort in computer users with tension neck syndrome. International Journal of Industrial Ergonomics. 2000;26:367-379. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0169-8141(00)00012-3
- Kandal E.R., Schwartz J.H., Jessell, T.M. Posture Principle of neural science. New York: Elsevier. 1991:596-607.
- P. Waris. Occupational cervicobrachial syndromes. Scandinavian Journal of Work, Environment and Health. 1980;5(suppl.3):3-14.
- Silva AG, Sharples P, Johnson MI. Studies comparing surrogate measures for head posture in individuals with and without neck pain. Physical Therapy Reviews. 2009;15(1):12-21.
- Kang J, Park RY, Lee SJ, Kim YJ Yoon SR, Jung KI. The effect of the forward head posture on postural balance in long time computer based worker. Annals of Rehabilitation Medicine. 2012;36(1):98-104. https://doi.org/10.5535/arm.2012.36.1.98
- Anabella G. Silva, Mark I. Johnson, Does forward head posture affect postural control in human healthy volunteers? Gait & Posture. 2013;38:352-353. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gaitpost.2012.11.014
- Yoonmi Lee, Wontae Gong, Jinyeol Jeon: Correlations between forward head posture, Range of motion of cervicospinal area, resting state, and concentrations of the brain. J. Phys. Ther. Sci. 2011;23:481. https://doi.org/10.1589/jpts.23.481
- Chris Ho Ting Yip, Thomas Tai Wing Chiu, Anthony Tung Kuen Poon. The relationship between head posture nd severity and disability of patients with neck pain. Manual Therapy. 2008;13:148-154. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.math.2006.11.002
- 이상훈, 김은정, 박연철, 고영진, 남동우. 침자극이 뇌졸중 환자의 심박변이도에 미치는 영향. 대한침구학회지. 2006;23(1):136-137.
- Main C., Wood P., Hollis S., Spanswick C, Waddel G. The Distress and Risk Assessment Method: A simple patient classification to identify distress and evaluate the risk of poor outcome. Spine 1992;17:42-52. https://doi.org/10.1097/00007632-199201000-00007
- P. Griegel-Morris, K. Larson, K. Muller-Klaus, C.A. Oatis. Incidence of common postural abnormalities in the cervical, shoulder, and thoracic regions and their association with pain in two age groups of healthy subjects. Physical Therapy. 1992;72(6):425-31. https://doi.org/10.1093/ptj/72.6.425
- Calliet R. 연부조직의 동통과 장애. 척추 및 사지통증. 서울. 푸른의학. 1994:162-4.
- Calliet R. Mechanism of Pain in the neck and from the neck. In: Neck and arm pain. 3rd edition. Philadelpia. FA Davis. 1991:348-67.
- Task Force of the European Society and the North American Society of Pacing and Electrophysiology. Heart rate variability. Circulation. 1996;93:1043-65 https://doi.org/10.1161/01.CIR.93.5.1043
- Alberto Malliani, Federico Lombardi, Massimo Pagani. Power spectrum analysis of heart rate variability: a tool to explore neural regulatory mechanisms. British Heart Journal. 1994;71:1-2.
- Stys A, Stys T. Current clinical applications of heart rate variability. Clin. Cardiol. 1998;21(10):719-24. https://doi.org/10.1002/clc.4960211005
- Buchana NM, Cowan M, Burr R. Measurement of recovery from myocardial infarction using heart rate variability and psychological outcomes. Nurs. Res. 2000;42(2):74-8.
- Huang J, Sopher SM, Leatham E. Heart rate variability depression in patients with unstable angina. Am. Heart J. 1995;130(4):772-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/0002-8703(95)90076-4
- Pignotti M, Steinberg M. Heart rate variability as an aoutcome measurement for Thought Field Therapy in clinical practice. J. Clin. Psychol. 2001;57(10):1193-206. https://doi.org/10.1002/jclp.1086
- Kleiger RE, Stein PK, Bosner MS, Rottman JN. Time domain measurements of heart rate variability. Cardiol. Clin. 1992;10: 487-98.
- Sam Khamis, Ziva Yizhar. Effect of feet hyperpronation on pelvic alignment in a standing position. Gait & Posture. 2007;25(1):127-34. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gaitpost.2006.02.005
- Wolf Schamberger, The Malalignment Syndrome, 2nd Edition-diagnosis and treatment of common pelvic and back pain. Churchill Livingstone. 2012.