- Volume 23 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Studies on the Nutritional Components and Amino Acid Compositions of Krill (Euphausia superba)
크릴(Euphausia superba)의 영양성분 및 아미노산 조성에 관한 연구
Kim, Han-Soo;Kim, Min-A;Duan, Yishan;Kang, Dong-Soo;Jang, Seong-Ho;Ryu, Jae-Young;Lee, Chun-Sik;Lee, Won-Ki
- Received : 2013.04.19
- Accepted : 2013.06.19
- Published : 2014.02.28
Despite abundant nutritions, krill is barely used for human consumption. The objective of this study was to investigate the nutritional component and amino acid composition of krill and further utilizes it for food resource. Proximate compositions of krill meal were consisted of crude protein 58.85%, ash 13.89%, crude fat 12.45%, carbohydrate 11.01% and moisture 3.80%. The amount of total amino acid was 54.74 g%, and the major amino acids were glutamic acid (7.71 g%), aspartic acid (6.20 g%), leucine (4.72 g%), lysine (4.41 g%), arginine (6.49 g%) and alanine (3.25 g%), respectively. Total essential amino acid content was 21.87%, and the major amino acids were leucine (4.72 g%), lysine (4.41 g%) and isoleucine (2.90 g%), respectively. Content of total free amino acid in krill meal was 20224.30 mg/kg, and the major free amino acids were taurine (4501 mg/kg), arginine (3130.60 mg/kg), proline (2302.90 mg/kg), alanine (2088.10 mg/kg), glycine (1606.40 mg/kg) and lysine (1197.40 mg/kg). Especially, taurine was the most abundant of all free amino acids. Thus, these data indicate that krill seems to be abundant protein source food.
Krill (Euphausia superba);Nutritional component;Amino acid composition
- Kim, E. S., Kim, J. S., Moon, H. K., 1999, Taurine contents in commercial milks, meats and seafoods, J. Kor. Soc. Food Sci. Nutr., 28(1), 16-21.
- Je, J. Y., Park, P. J., Jung, W. K., Kim, S. K., 2005, Amino acid changes in fermented oyster (Crassostrea gigas) sauce with different fermentation periods, Food Chem., 91(1), 15-18. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2004.05.061
- Jin, Y. S., Yin, Y., Shim, T. H., Sa, J. H., Wang, M. H., 2006, Studies for component analysis and biological evaluation in picrasma quassioides (D. Don) Benn. Extracts, Kor. J. Pharmacogn., 37(1), 37-41.
- Kim, D. S., Do, J. R., Park, I. S., Rhee, S. K., 2000, Study on the manufacturing of chitosan using krill (Euphausia superba Dana) and quality characteristics, J. Kor. Soc. Agric. Chem. Biotechnol., 43(4), 309-313.
- Kim, H. S., 2007, Studies of the Amino acid and fatty acid composition in the pulpy substanc of feral peach (Prunus persica Batsch var. davidiana Max.), J. Life science, 17(1), 125-131. https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2007.17.1.125
- Kim, J. D., Chang, J. I., Yoo, M. I., Chung, H. W., Kwon, C. H., Oh, D. S., Kim, C. H., 2004, Effect of krill meal as a feed addictive in laying hen diets, Kor. J. Intl. Agri., 16(1), 110-116.
- Kim, K. M., Cho, Y. B., Hwang, Y. J., Lee, D. S., Lee, Y. B., 2012, Comparison of general composition of cooked krill and alcalase optimization for maximum antioxidative activity by using response surface methodology, Kor. J. Culinary Research, 18(1), 15-26.
- Kim, S. A., Kim, D. Y., 1995, Status and prospect of antarctic krill fisheries, Ocean Policy Research, 10(2), 419-444.
- Park, C. K., Park, J. N., 1996, Extractive nitrogenous constituents of Toha (Caridina denticulata denticulata, freshwater shrimp) and Jeotsaeu (Acetes japonicus, seawater shrimp), Kor. J. Food Sci. Technol., 28(6), 1111-1118.
- Lee, E. H., Cho, S. Y., Cha, Y. J., Park, H. S., Kwon, C. S., 1984, Studies on the processing of krill sauce, J. Kor. Soc. Food Nutr., 13(1), 97-106.
- Lee, K. I., Cho, J. E., Ahn, H. K., 2007, Volatile flavor compounds identified from the sauces made with waste of shrimp, crab and lobster, Kor. J. Culinary Research, 13(1), 119-128.
- Wojcik, O. P., Koenig, K. L., Zeleniuch-Jacquotte, A., Costa, M., Chen. Y., 2010, The potential protective effects of taurine on coronary heart disease, Atherosclerosis, 208(1), 19-25. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.atherosclerosis.2009.06.002
- Petty, M. A., Kintz, J., DiFrancesco, G. F., 1990, The effects of taurine on atherosclerosis development in cholesterol-fed rabbits, Eur. J. Pharmacology, 180, 119-127. https://doi.org/10.1016/0014-2999(90)90599-2
- Taro, K., Toshiko, A., Kiyoshi, E., 2001, Influence of age and ovariectomy on the hypocholesterolemic effects of dietary taurine in rats fed a cholesterol-free diet, Nutrition Research, 21, 1025-1033. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0271-5317(01)00295-0
- Winiarska, K., Szymanski, K., Gorniak, P., Dudziak, M., Bryla, J., 2009, Hypoglycaemic, antioxidative and nephroprotective effects of taurine in alloxan diabetic rabbits, Biochimie, 91(2), 261-270. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biochi.2008.09.006
- AOAC, 1990, Official method of analysis, Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Washington D. C., 15th eds., 994.
- Chen, Y. C., Tou, J. C., Jaczynski, J., 2009, Amino acid and mineral composition of protein and other components and their recovery yields from whole antarctic krill (Euphausia superba) using isoelectric solubilization/precipitation, J. Food Science, 74(2), 31-39.
- Bjorndal, B., Vik, R., Brattelid, T., Vigerust, N. F., Burri, L., Bohov, P., Nygard, O., Skorve, J., Berge, R. K., 2012, Krill powder increases liver lipid catabolism and reduces glucose mobilization in tumor necrosis factor-alpha transgenic mice fed a high-fat diet, Metabolism Clinical and Experimental, 61, 1461-1472. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.metabol.2012.03.012
- Chapman, G. E., Greenwood, C. E., 1988, Taurine in nutrition and brain development, Nutrition Research, 8, 955-968. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0271-5317(88)80135-0
- Chen, Y. C., Jaczynski, J., 2007, Gelation of protein recovered from whole antarctic krill (Euphausia superba) by isoelectric solubilization/precipitation as affected by functional additives, J. Agric. Food Chem., 55, 1814-1822. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf0629944
- Gigliotti, J. C., Jaczynski, J., Tou, J. C., 2008, Determination of the nutritional value, protein quality and safety of krill protein concentrate isolated using an isoelectric solubilization/precipitation technique, Food Chem., 111, 209-214. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2008.03.030
Supported by : 국립수산과학원