- Volume 23 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
A Characteristic of Community Distribution on Benthic Macro-invertebrates in Major Streams of Jirisan Mountain
지리산 주요 수계의 저서성 대형무척추동물 군집분포의 특성
- Received : 2013.09.23
- Accepted : 2013.12.23
- Published : 2014.02.28
We have studied characteristics of community structure on the benthic macro-invertebrates at twelve selected sites in upstream, midstream and downstream of Paemsagol, Piagol, Chilseongol and Daeseonggol, major streams of Jirisan Mountain, for three years from April 2008 to September 2010. As a result, 2 phyla, 3 classes, 11 orders, 41 families, 119 species and 4,449 individuals of benthic macro-invertebrates have been collected and classified in this study. Among them EPT group (Ephemeroptera, Plecoptera, Trichoptera), commonly appearing taxa in clean stream ecosystem, was found most frequently. The highest species number of benthic macro-invertebrates were collected in 2008, the year with lower climatic influence including heavy rain. In almost all of survey sites 80% or over of EPT group were counted, and St. 1 scored highest rate of EPT group at 92.59%. Most dominant species was Ecdyonurus kibumensis at 12.83% of dominance index, and subdominant species was Goerodes KUb at 6.81% of dominance index. The investigation of the feeding function group indicated that gathering-collectors were dominant with 26 species and 1,334 individuals, while the number of filtering-collectors was lowest with 11 species and 230 individuals. This result represents that the feeding function group of Jirisan Mountain is mountainous stream-specific one. Both diversity index and richness index were lowest at the midstream of Chilseongol (St. 5), while the midstreams of Daeseonggol (St. 11) and Piagol (St. 8) were highest in diversity and richness indices respectively. The analyses of linear regression and correlation were performed in order to investigate and to predict the appearance aspect of EPT group by altitude. The results showed that the ratio of Plecopteran species number has increased by the elevation of the altitude at 0.05 significance level. Cluster analysis was also carried out for evaluating environmental similarities among survey sites. As a result, upper regions of Paemsagol (St. 1) and Piagol have clustered as most similar sites each other, while the midstream of Piagol (St. 8) has separated with lower similarity value than other sites in species composition.
Benthic macro-invertebrates;EPT group;Jirisan main stream
- Budin, K., Jubok, Z., Gabda, D., Abdullah, N., Ahmed, A., 2008, Effect of water parameters on Ephemeroptera abundance in Telipok River, Sabah Malaysia, Wseas Transactions on environment and development, 5(4), 447-451.
- Allan, J. D., 1995, Stream ecology, structure and function of running waters, Chapman & Hall, London, 2-388.
- Bae, Y. J., Won, D. H., Hoang, D. H., Jin, Y. H., Hwang, J. M., 2003, Community composition and functional feeding groups of aquatic insects according to stream order from the Gapyeong Creek in Gyeonggi-do, Korean J. Limnol, 36(1), 21-28.
- Bae, Y. J., Jo, S. I., Hoang, D. H., Lee, H. G., Na, K. B., 2004, Biodiversity and community composition of benthic macroinvertebrates from Upo Wetlands in Korea, Kor. J. Env. Eco., 75-91.
- Brooks, S. S., Boulton, A. J., 1991, Recolonization dynamics of benthic macroinvertebrates after artificial and natural disturbances in an Australian temporary stream, Aust. J. Mar Freshw. Res, 42, 295-308. https://doi.org/10.1071/MF9910295
- Chilton, E. W., 1991, Macroinvertebrate communities associated with three aquatic macrophytes (Ceratophyllum derersum, Myriophyllum spicatum, and Vallisneria americana) in lake Onalaska, Wiscosin [USA], J, Freshwater Ecol, 5(4), 455-466.
- Cummins, K. W., Klug, M. J., 1979, Feeding ecology of stream invertebrates, Ann, Rev, Syst, 10, 147-172. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.es.10.110179.001051
- Cobb, G. G., Galloway, T. D., Flannagan, J. F., 1992, Effects of discharge and substrate stability on density and species composition of stream insects. Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 49: 1778-1795. https://doi.org/10.1139/f92-197
- Cummins, K. W., 1973, Trophic relations of aquatic insects, Ann, Rev, Entomol, 18: 183-206. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.en.18.010173.001151
- Cummins, K., W., 1974, Structure and function of stream ecosystem, Bioscience 24(11), 631-641. https://doi.org/10.2307/1296676
- Gray, L. J., Fisher, S. G., 1981, Post flood recolonization pathways of macroinvertebrates in a lowland Sonsran Desert stream, Am. Midl. Nat, 106, 249-257. https://doi.org/10.2307/2425161
- Horne, A. J., Goldman, C. R., 1994, Limnology, McGraw-Hill, Inc, 1-576.
- Hynes, H. B. N., 1970, The ecology of running waters, Liverpool Univ, Press, Liverpool, U, K, 1-555.
- Kawai, T., Tanida, K., 2005, Aquatic insects of Japan, Tokai University Press Japan. 27-1275.
- Korea National Park Service, 2003, Natural resources survey on Jirisan National Park, Korea National Park Service, 121-139.
- Kwon, O. G., 1990, Illustrated encyclopedia of fauna & flora of Korea; Vol. 32, Min. Edu. Korea, 2-446.
- Lee, C. E., 1971, Illustrated encyclopedia of fauna & flora of Korea; Vol. 12 (Insecta IV), Min. Edu. Korea, 386-448.
- Lee, H. S., Lim, J. H., 2013, SPSS 20.0 Manual, Jyphyunjae Publishing Co., 2-354.
- McCafferty, W. P., 1981, Aquatic entomology, John & Bartlett, Boston, 2-448.
- Lee, J. C., Koo, B. Y., Yoon, C. S., Lee, D. J., Cheong, S. W., 2011, Seasonal changes on community structures of benthic macroinvertebrates in Wetland Upo, Journal of the Environmental Sciences, 20(2), 261-274. https://doi.org/10.5322/JES.2011.20.2.261
- Margalef, R., 1957, La teoria de la informacion en ecologia, Mem. Real Acad. Cienc. Artes, Barcelona, 32, 373-449.
- Margalef, R., 1958, Temporal succession and spatial heterogeneity in natural phytoplankton, In perspectives in marine biology, Univ. of California Press, 323-349.
- Merritt, R. W., Cummins, K. W., 1996, An introduction to the aquatic insects of North America, 3rd ed, Kendall/Hunt, Dubuque, Iowa, 1-862.
- McNaughton, S. J., 1967, Relationship among functional properties of California Grassland, Nature, 216, 168-169.
- Pielou, E. C., 1966, Species-diversity and pattern diversity in the study of ecological succession, J. theor. Biol.., 10, 370-383. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-5193(66)90133-0
- Ra, C. H., Cho, Y. G., Kim, J. S., 1991, The seasonal and altitudinal distribution of the stonefly nymphs (Plecoptera) in Paemsagol Vally of Mt. Chiri, Korea, Korean J. Limnol, 24 (2), 69-76.
- Ro, T. H., Chun, D. J., 2004, Functional feeding group categorization of Korean immature aquatic insects and community stability analysis, Korean J. Limnol, 37(2), 137-148.
- Robertson, A. L., Lancaster, J., Hildrew, A. G., 1995, Stream hydraulics and the distribution of macrocrustacea: a role for refugia, Freshw. Biol, 33, 469-484. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2427.1995.tb00407.x
- Rosenberg, D. M., Resh, V. H., 1993, Introduction to freshwater biomonitoring and benthic Macroinvertebrates: 1-9. In: Rosenberg, D. M., Resh, V. H., Freshwater biomonitoring and bentic Macroinvertebrates, Chapman Hall, Inc, N, Y, 1-488.
- Shannon, C. E., 1948, A mathematical theory of communication, The Bell System Technical Journal, 27, 379-423 and 623-656.
- The Entomological Society of Korea & Korean Society of Applied Entomology, 1994, Check list of insects from Korea, Kon-Kuk University Press, 5-744.
- The Korean Society of Systematic Zoology, 1997, List of animals in Korea (excluding insects), The Korean Society of Systematic Zoology, 3-489
- Vannote, R. L., 1980, The river contiuum concept, Canadian j, Fish, Aquat, 37: 130-137. https://doi.org/10.1139/f80-017
- Ward, J. V., 1992, Aquatic insect ecology, John Wiley & Sons, 2-438.
- Williams, D. D., Feltmate, B. W., 1992, Aquatic insects, CBA International, Oxon, UK, 2-358.
- Won, D. H., Kwon, S. J., Jun, Y. C., 2005, Aquatic insects of Korea. Korea Ecosystem Service, 1-415.
- Yoon, I. B., 1988, Illustrated encyclopedia of fauna & flora of Korea; Vol. 30 (Aquatic Insects), Min. Edu. Korea, 7-840.
- Yoon, I. B., Song, M. Y., 1989, A revision of the taxonomy of Korean black-flies (Simuliidae: Diptera) I, The larval and pupal stages of subgenus Simulium, Entomological Research Bulletin, 15, 35-64.
- Distribution Characteristics of Functional Feeding Groups of Benthic Macroinvertebrates and Biological Evaluation of Water Quality in Jirisan National Park vol.25, pp.5, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5322/JESI.2016.25.5.655