- Volume 4 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Screening and isolation of antibacterial proteinaceous compounds from flower tissues: Alternatives for treatment of healthcare-associated infections
de Almeida, Renato Goulart;Silva, Osmar Nascimento;de Souza Candido, Elizabete;Moreira, Joao Suender;Jojoa, Dianny Elizabeth Jimenez;Gomes, Diego Garces;de Souza Freire, Mirna;de Miranda Burgel, Pedro Henrique;de Oliveira, Nelson Gomes Junior;Valencia, Jorge William Arboleda;Franco, Octavio Luiz;Dias, Simoni Campos
- 투고 : 2013.09.24
- 심사 : 2014.01.16
- 발행 : 2014.02.28
Healthcare-associated infection represents a frequent cause of mortality that increases hospital costs. Due to increasing microbial resistance to antibiotics, it is necessary to search for alternative therapies. Consequently, novel alternatives for the control of resistant microorganisms have been studied. Among them, plant antimicrobial protein presents enormous potential, with flowers being a new source of antimicrobial molecules. In this work, the antimicrobial activity of protein-rich fractions from flower tissues from 18 different species was evaluated against several human pathogenic bacteria. The results showed that protein-rich fractions of 12 species were able to control bacterial development. Due its broad inhibition spectrum and high antibacterial activity, the protein-rich fraction of Hibiscus rosa-sinensis was subjected to DEAE-Sepharose chromatography, yielding a retained fraction and a non-retained fraction. The retained fraction inhibits 29.5% of Klebsiella pneumoniae growth, and the non-retained fraction showed 31.5% of growth inhibition against the same bacteria. The protein profile of the chromatography fractions was analyzed by using SDS-PAGE, revealing the presence of two major protein bands in the retained fraction, of 20 and 15 kDa. The results indicate that medicinal plants have the biotechnological potential to increase knowledge about antimicrobial protein structure and action mechanisms, assisting in the rational design of antimicrobial compounds for the development of new antibiotic drugs.
healthcare-associated infections;human pathogenic bacteria;flower protein;antimicrobial
- Silva ON, Mulder KC, Barbosa AE, Otero-Gonzalez AJ, Lopez-Abarrategui C, Rezende TM, Dias SC, Franco OL. Exploring the pharmacological potential of promiscuous hostdefense peptides: from natural screenings to biotechnological applications. Front Microbiol. 2011;2:232.
- Sousa Araujo TA, Almeida e Castro VT, Amorim EL, Albuquerque UP. Habitat influence on antioxidant activity and tannin concentrations of Spondias tuberosa. Pharm Biol. 2012;50:754-759. https://doi.org/10.3109/13880209.2011.630673
- Tavares LS, Santos MO, Viccini LF, Moreira JS, Miller RNG, Franco OL. Biotechnological potential of antimicrobial peptides from flowers. Peptides. 2008;29:1842-1851. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.peptides.2008.06.003
- Thevissen K, Terras FRG, Broekaert WF. Permeabilization of fungal membranes by plant defensins inhibits fungal growth. Appl Environ Microbiol. 1999;65:5451-5458.
- Van Damme EJ, Charels D, Roy S, Tierens K, Barre A, Martins JC, Rouge P, Van Leuven F, Does M, Peumans WJ. A gene encoding a hevein-like protein from elderberry fruits is homologous to PR-4 and class V chitinase genes. Plant Physiol. 1999;119:1547-1556. https://doi.org/10.1104/pp.119.4.1547
- Van der Weerden NL, Lay FT, Anderson MA. The plant defensin, NaD1, enters the cytoplasm of Fusarium Oxysporum Hyphae. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:14445-14452. https://doi.org/10.1074/jbc.M709867200
- Vasudeva N, Sharma SK. Post-Coital Antifertility Activity of Hibiscus rosa-sinensis Linn. roots. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2008;5:91-94. https://doi.org/10.1093/ecam/nem003
- Wong CT, Taichi M, Nishio H, Nishiuchi Y, Tam JP. Optimal oxidative folding of the novel antimicrobial cyclotide from Hedyotis biflora requires high alcohol concentrations. Biochemistry. 2012;50:7275-7283.
- Ruef C. Nosocomial infections in intensive care units. Infection. 2005;33:105. https://doi.org/10.1007/s15010-005-7305-0
- Sartori MR, Pretto JB, Cruz AB, Bresciani LF, Yunes RA, Sortino M, Zacchino SA, Cechinel VF. Antifungal activity of fractions and two pure compounds of flowers from Wedelia paludosa (Acmela brasiliensis) (arastaceae). Pharmazie. 2003;58:567-569.
- Samy RP, Manikandan J, Al-Qahtani M. Evaluation of Aromatic Plants and Compounds Used to Fight Multidrug Resistant Infections. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2013;2013:1-17.
- Segura A, Moreno M, Madueno F, Molina A, Garcia-Olmedo F. Snakin-1, a peptide from potato that is active against plant pathogens. Mol Plant Microbe Interact. 1999;12:16-23. https://doi.org/10.1094/MPMI.1922.214.171.124
- Sels J, Mathys J, De Coninck BM, Cammue BP, De Bolle MF. Plant pathogenesis-related (PR) proteins: a focus on PR peptides. Plant Physiol and Biochem. 2008;46:941-950. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.plaphy.2008.06.011
- Shabir G, Anwar F, Sultana B, Khalid ZM, Afzal M, Khan QM, Ashrafuzzaman M. Antioxidant and antimicrobial attributes and phenolics of different solvent extracts from leaves, flowers and bark of Gold Mohar [Delonix regia (Bojer ex Hook.) Raf]. Molecules. 2011;16:7302-7319. https://doi.org/10.3390/molecules16097302
- Shakir T, Coulibaly AY, Kehoe PG. An exploration of the potential mechanisms and translational potential of five medicinal plants for applications in Alzheimer's disease. Am J Neurodegener Dis. 2013;2:70-88.
- Silva AR, Morais SM, Marques MM, Oliveira DF, Barros CC, Almeida RR, Vieira IG, Guedes MI. Chemical composition, antioxidant and antibacterial activities of two Spondias species from Northeastern Brazil. Pharm Biol. 2012;50:740-746. https://doi.org/10.3109/13880209.2011.627347
- Silva GC, Braga FC, Lima MP, Pesquero JL, Lemos VS, Cortes SF. Hancornia speciosa Gomes induces hypotensive effect through inhibition of ACE and increase on NO. J Ethnopharmacol. 2011;137:709-713. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jep.2011.06.031
- Petrosillo N, Capone A, Di Bella S, Taglietti F. Management of antibiotic resistance in the intensive care unit setting. Expert Rev Anti Infect Ther. 2010;8:289-302. https://doi.org/10.1586/eri.10.7
- Pereira AB, Verissimo TM, Oliveira MA, Araujo IA, Alves RJ, Braga FC. Development and validation of an HPLC-DAD method for quantification of bornesitol in extracts from Hancornia speciosa leaves after derivatization with ptoluenesulfonyl chloride. J Chromatogr B Analyt Technol Biomed Life Sci. 2012;887-888:133-137. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jchromb.2012.01.009
- Pittet D, Allegranzi B, Storr J, Bagheri Nejad S, Dziekan G, Leotsakos A, Donaldson L. Infection control as a major World Health Organization priority for developing countries. J Hosp Infect. 2008;68:285-292. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhin.2007.12.013
- Rahmatullah M, Azam MN, Khatun Z, Seraj S, Islam F, Rahman MA, Jahan S, Aziz MS. Medicinal plants used for treatment of diabetes by the Marakh sect of the Garo tribe living in Mymensingh district, Bangladesh. Afr J Tradit Complement Altern Med (AJTCAM). 2012;9:380-385.
- Rask L, Andreasson E, Ekbom B, Eriksson S, Pontoppidan B, Meijer J. Myrosinase: gene family evolution and herbivore defense in Brassicaceae. Plant Mol Biol. 2000;42:93-113. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1006380021658
- Ribeiro SM, Almeida RG, Pereira CA, Moreira JS, Pinto MF, Oliveira AC, Vasconcelos IM, Oliveira JT, Santos MO, Dias SC, Franco OL. Identification of a Passiflora alata Curtis dimeric peptide showing identity with 2S albumins. Peptides. 2011;32:868-874. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.peptides.2010.10.011
- Rodrigues Orsi P, Bonamin F, Aparecida Severi J, Cassia Santos R, Vilegas W, Hiruma-Lima CA, Stasi LC. Hymenaea stigonocarpa Mart. ex Hayne: a Brazilian medicinal plant with gastric and duodenal anti-ulcer and antidiarrheal effects in experimental rodent models. J Ethnopharmacol. 2012;143:81-90. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jep.2012.06.001
- Ruban P, Gajalakshmi K. In vitro antibacterial activity of Hibiscus rosa-sinensis flower extract against human pathogens. Asian Pac J Trop Biomed. 2012;2:399-403. https://doi.org/10.1016/S2221-1691(12)60064-1
- Maria-Neto S, Honorato RV, Costa FT, Almeida RG, Amaro DS, Oliveira JT, Vasconcelos IM, Franco OL. Bactericidal activity identified in 2S Albumin from sesame seeds and in silico studies of structure-function relations. Protein J. 2011;30:340-350. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10930-011-9337-x
- Marinho DG, Alviano DS, Matheus ME, Alviano CS, Fernandes PD. The latex obtained from Hancornia speciosa Gomes possesses anti-inflammatory activity. J Ethnopharmacol. 2011;135:530-537. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jep.2011.03.059
- Matsuhira H, Shinada H, Yui-Kurino R, Hamato N, Umeda M, Mikami T, Kubo T. An anther-specific lipid transfer protein gene in sugar beet: its expression is strongly reduced in malesterile plants with owen cytoplasm. Physiol Plant. 2007;129:407-414.
- Mohammed MJ, Al-Bayati FA. Isolation and identification of antibacterial compounds from Thymus kotschyanus aerial parts and Dianthus caryophyllus flower buds. Phytomedicine. 2009;16:632-637. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.phymed.2008.12.026
- Morais SM, Dantas JDP, Silva ARA, Magalhaes EF. Ethnomedicinal plants of tapeba indians from the state of Ceara - Brazil. Braz J Pharmacogn.2005;15:169-177. https://doi.org/10.1590/S0102-695X2005000200017
- Moreira JS, Almeida RG, Tavares LS, Santos MO, Viccini LF, Vasconcelos IM, Oliveira JT, Raposo NR, Dias SC, Franco OL. Identification of botryticidal proteins with similarity to NBS-LRR proteins in rosemary pepper (Lippia sidoides Cham.) flowers. Protein J. 2011;30:32-38. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10930-010-9299-4
- Pelegrini PB, Del Sarto RP, Silva ON, Franco OL, Grossi-de-Sa MF. Antibacterial peptides from plants: what they are and how they probably work. Biochem Res Int. 2011;2011:250349.
- Pelegrini PB, Murad AM, Silva LP, Dos Santos RC, Costa FT, Tagliari PD, Bloch C Jr, Noronha EF, Miller RNG, Franco OL. Identification of a novel storage glycine-rich peptide from guava (Psidium guajava) seeds with activity against Gramnegative bacteria. Peptides. 2008;29:1271-1279. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.peptides.2008.03.013
- Lay FT, Schirra HJ, Scanlon MJ, Anderson MA, Craik DJ. The three-dimensional solution structure of NaD1, a new floral defensin from Nicotiana alata and its application to a homology model of the crop defense protein alfAFP. J Mol Biol. 2003b;325:175-188. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-2836(02)01103-8
- Leitao SG, Castro O, Fonseca EN, Juliao LS, Tavares ES, Leo RRT, Vieira RC, Oliveira DR, Leitao GG, Martino V, Sulsen V, Barbosa YAG, Pinheiro DPG, Silva PEA, Teixeira DF, Junior IN, Lourenco MCS. Screening of Central and South American plant extracts for antimycobacterial activity by the Alamar Blue test. Braz J Pharmacogn. 2006;16:6-11. https://doi.org/10.1590/S0102-695X2006000100003
- Lima TB, Silva ON, Migliolo L, Souza-Filho CR, Goncalves EG, Vasconcelos IM, Oliveira JT, Amaral AC, Franco OL. A Kunitz proteinase inhibitor from corms of Xanthosoma blandum with bactericidal activity. J Nat Prod. 2011;74:969-975. https://doi.org/10.1021/np200312r
- Lin KF, Liu YN, Hsu ST, Samuel D, Cheng CS, Bonvin AM, Lyu PC. Characterization and structural analyses of nonspecific lipid transfer protein 1 from mung bean. Biochemistry. 2005;44:5703-5712. https://doi.org/10.1021/bi047608v
- Liu J-J, Ekramoddoullah AKM. The family 10 of plant pathogenesis-related proteins: Their structure, regulation, and function in response to biotic and abiotic stresses. Physiol Mol Plant Pathol. 2006;68:3-13. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pmpp.2006.06.004
- Lotan T, Ori N, Fluhr R. Pathogenesis-related proteins are developmentally regulated in tobacco flowers. Plant Cell, 1989;1:881-887. https://doi.org/10.1105/tpc.1.9.881
- Mandal SM, Migliolo L, Das S, Mandal M, Franco OL, Hazra TK. Identification and characterization of a bactericidal and proapoptotic peptide from Cycas revoluta seeds with DNA binding properties. J Cell Biochem. 2012;113:184-193. https://doi.org/10.1002/jcb.23343
- Mandal SM, Migliolo L, Franco OL, Ghosh AK. Identification of an antifungal peptide from Trapa natans fruits with inhibitory effects on Candida tropicalis biofilm formation. Peptides. 2011;32:1741-1747. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.peptides.2011.06.020
- Guani-Guerra E, Santos-Mendoza T, Lugo-Reyes SO, Teran LM. Antimicrobial peptides: general overview and clinical implications in human health and disease. Clin Immunol. 2010;135:1-11. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clim.2009.12.004
- Guimaraes G, Cardoso L, Oliveira H, Santos C, Duarte P, Sottomayor M. Cytogenetic characterization and genome size of the medicinal plant Catharanthus roseus (L.) G. Don. AoB Plants. 2012;2012:pls002.
- Hughes RG. Patient safety and quality: An evidence-based handbook for nurses. In AHRQ Publication, No. 08-0043. (Rockville, USA: Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality), p. 1403, 2008.
- Iriti M, Faoro F. Review of innate and specific immunity in plants and animals. Mycopathologia. 2007;164:57-64. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11046-007-9026-7
- Koo JC, Lee SY, Chun HJ, Cheong YH, Choi JS, Kawabata S, Miyagi M, Tsunasawa S, Ha KS, Bae DW, Han CD, Lee BL, Cho MJ. Two hevein homologs isolated from the seed of Pharbitis nil L. exhibit potent antifungal activity. Biochim Biophys Acta. 1998;1382:80-90. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0167-4838(97)00148-9
- Kovalskaya N, Hammond RW. Expression and functional characterization of the plant antimicrobial snakin-1 and defensin recombinant proteins. Protein Expr Purif. 2009;63:12-17. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pep.2008.08.013
- Laemmli UK. Cleavage of structural proteins during the assembly of the head of bacteriophage T4. Nature. 1970;227:680-685. https://doi.org/10.1038/227680a0
- Lay FT, Brugliera F, Anderson MA. Isolation and properties of floral defensins from ornamental tobacco and petunia. Plant Physiol. 2003a;131:1283-1293. https://doi.org/10.1104/pp.102.016626
- Garcia-Olmedo F, Rodriguez-Palenzuela P, Molina A, Alamillo JM, Lopez-Solanilla E, Berrocal-Lobo M, Poza-Carrion C. Antibiotic activities of peptides, hydrogen peroxide and peroxynitrite in plant defense. FEBS Lett. 2001;498:219-222. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0014-5793(01)02456-5
- Castro MS, Fontes W. Plant defense and antimicrobial peptides. Protein Pept Lett. 2005;12:13-18.
- Clinical and Laboratory Institute. Methods for Diluition Antimicrobial Susceptibility Tests Bacteria That Grow Aerobically. 8th ed. (Pennsylvania, USA: CLSI document) M07-A8, 2009.
- de Beer A, Vivier MA. Four plant defensins from an indigenous South African Brassicaceae species display divergent activities against two test pathogens despite high sequence similarity in the encoding genes. BMC Res Notes. 2011;4:459. https://doi.org/10.1186/1756-0500-4-459
- Candido ES, Pinto MF, Pelegrini PB, Lima TB, Silva ON, Pogue R, Grossi-de-Sa MF, Franco OL. Plant storage proteins with antimicrobial activity: novel insights into plant defense mechanisms. FASEB J. 2011;25:3290-3305. https://doi.org/10.1096/fj.11-184291
- Capella AN, Menossi M, Arruda P, Benedetti CE. COI1 affects myrosinase activity and controls the expression of two flowerspecific myrosinase-binding protein homologues in Arabidopsis. Planta. 2001;213:691-699. https://doi.org/10.1007/s004250100548
- Endringer DC, Valadares YM, Campana PR, Campos JJ, Guimaraes KG, Pezzuto JM, Braga FC. Evaluation of Brazilian plants on cancer chemoprevention targets in vitro. Phytother Res. 2010;24:928-933.
- Favarin DC, Oliveira JR, Oliveira CJF, Rogerio AP. Potential effects of medicinal plants and secondary metabolites on acute lung injury. Biomed Res Int. 2013;2013:1-12.
- Ferreira PM, Farias DF, Viana MP, Souza TM, Vasconcelos IM, Soares BM, Pessoa C, Costa-Lotufo LV, Moraes MO, Carvalho AF. Study of the antiproliferative potential of seed extracts from Northeastern Brazilian plants. An Acad Bras Cienc. 2011;83:1045-1058. https://doi.org/10.1590/S0001-37652011005000017
- Ferreira RB, Monteiro S, Freitas R, Santos CN, Chen Z, Batista LM, Duarte J, Borges A, Teixeira AR. The role of plant defense proteins in fungal pathogenesis. Mol Plant Pathol. 2007;8:677-700. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1364-3703.2007.00419.x
- Antoniw JF, Ritter CE, Pierpoint WS, Van Loon LC. Comparison of three pathogenesis-related proteins from plants of two cultivars of tobacco infected with TMV. J Gen Virol. 1980;47:79-87. https://doi.org/10.1099/0022-1317-47-1-79
- Apostolopoulou E, Lambridou M, Lambadaridis I. Nosocomial bloodstream infections in a neonatal intensive care unit. Br J Nurs. 2004;13:806-812. https://doi.org/10.12968/bjon.2004.13.13.13503
- Arullappan S, Zakaria Z, Basri DF. Preliminary screening of antibacterial activity using crude extracts of Hibiscus rosa sinensis. Trop Life Sci Res. 2009;20:109-118.
- Benko-Iseppon AM, Crovella S. Ethnobotanical bioprospection of candidates for potential antimicrobial drugs from Brazilian plants: state of art and perspectives. Curr Protein Pept Sci. 2010;11:189-194. https://doi.org/10.2174/138920310791112129
- Berrocal-Lobo M, Segura A, Moreno M, Lopez G, Garcia-Olmedo F, Molina A. A snakin-2, an antimicrobial peptide from potato whose gene is locally induced by wounding and responds to pathogen infection. Plant Physiol. 2002;128:951-961. https://doi.org/10.1104/pp.010685
- Blum H, Beier H, Gross HJ. Improved silver staining of plant proteins, RNA and DNA in polyacrylamide gels. Electrophoresis. 1987;8:93-99. https://doi.org/10.1002/elps.1150080203