- Volume 43 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Anti-obesity Effects of Extracts from Young Akebia quinata D. Leaves
어린 으름잎 추출물(Akebia quinata D. Leaves)의 항비만 효과
- Jeon, Yongseop (Div. of Food and Nutrition, Chonnam National University) ;
- You, Yanghee (Research Institute for Human Ecology, Chonnam National University) ;
- Jun, Woojin (Div. of Food and Nutrition, Chonnam National University)
- Received : 2013.12.02
- Accepted : 2014.01.13
- Published : 2014.02.28
We investigated the in vitro and in vivo anti-obesity effects of extracts from young Akebia quinata D. leaves, including hot water (AQH) and 80% ethanol (AQE) extracts. The inhibitory effects of AQH and AQE on lipid accumulation in 3T3-L1 cells were examined by Oil Red O staining. Compared to control, lipid accumulation was significantly reduced by 18.3% with the treatment upon AQE at a concentration of
Supported by : 산학협력기업부설연구소
- Spiegelman BM, Flier S. 1996. Adipogenesis and obesity; rounding out the big picture. Cell 87: 377-389. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0092-8674(00)81359-8
- Kopelman PG. 2000. Obesity as a medical problem. Nature 404: 635-643.
- Visscher TL. 2001. The public health impact of obesity. Annu Rev Publ Health 22: 355-375. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.publhealth.22.1.355
- Frayn KN, Karpe F, Fielding BA, Macdonald IA, Coppack SW. 2003. Integrative physiology of human adipose tissue. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 27: 875-888. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.ijo.0802326
- Kopelman PG. 2000. Obesity as a medical problem. Nature 404: 635-643.
- Green H, Meuth M. 1974. An established pre-adipose cell line and its differentiation in culture. Cell 3: 127-133. https://doi.org/10.1016/0092-8674(74)90116-0
- Green H, Kehinde O. 1973. Sublines of mouse 3T3 cells that accumulate lipid. Cell 1: 113-116.
- Aihaud G, Grimaldu P, Negrel R. 1992. Cellular and molecular aspects of adipose tissue development. Annu Rev Nutr 12: 207-233. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.nu.12.070192.001231
- Boney CM, Staats BM, Atiles AD, Dercole AJ. 1994. Expression on insulin-like growth factor-I(IGF-I) and IGFbinding proteins during adipogenesis. Endocrinology 135: 1863-1868.
- Darlington GJ, Ross SE, MacDougald OA. 1998. The role of C/EBP genes in adipocyte differentiation. J Biol Chem 273: 30057-30060. https://doi.org/10.1074/jbc.273.46.30057
Rosen ED, Hsu CH, Wang X, Sakai X, Freeman MW, Gonzalez FJ, Spiegelman BM. 2001. C/EBP
$\alpha$induces adipogenesis through PPAR: a unified pathway. Genes Dev 16: 22-26.
- Naowaboot J, Chung CH, Pannangpetch P, Choi R, Kim BH, Lee MY, Kukongviriyapan U. 2012. Mulberry leaf extract increases adiponectin in murine 3T3-L1 adipocytes. Nutr Res 32: 39-44. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nutres.2011.12.003
- Sato M, Hiragun A, Mitsui H. 1980. Preadipocytes possess cellular retinoid binding proteins and their differentiation is inhibited by retinoids. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 95: 1839-1845. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0006-291X(80)80113-6
- Kawada T, Aoki N, Kamei Y, Maeshige K, Nishiu S, Sugimoto E. 1990. Comparative investigation of vitamins and their analogues on terminal differentiation from preadipocytes to adipocytes of 3T3-L1 cells. Comp Biochem Physiol 96: 323-326. https://doi.org/10.1016/0300-9629(90)90699-S
- Cno M, Aratani Y, Kitagawa I, Kitagawa Y. 1990. Ascorbic acid phosphate stimulate type IV collagen synthesis and accelerate adipose conversion of 3T3-L1 cells. Exp Cell Res 187: 309-314. https://doi.org/10.1016/0014-4827(90)90096-S
- Harrison SA, BuxtaonJM, Clancy BM, Czech MP. 1991. Evidence that erythroid-type glucose transporter intrinsic activity is modulated by cadmium treatment of mouse 3T3-L1 cells. J Biol Chem 266: 19438-19449.
- Park HS. 2001. Pharmacological therapy of obesity. Kor J Soc Study Obes 10: 118-127.
- Ballinger A, Peikin SR. 2002. Orlistat: its current status as an anti-obesity drug. Eur J Pharmacol 440: 109-117. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0014-2999(02)01422-X
- Zacour AC, Sliva ME, Cecon PR, Bambirra EA, Vieira EC. 1992. Effect of dietary chitin on cholesterol absorption and metabolism in rats. J Nutr Sci Vitaminol 38: 609-613. https://doi.org/10.3177/jnsv.38.609
- Kim YJ, Kim BH, Lee SY, Kim MS, Park CS, Rhee MS, Lee KH, Kim DS. 2006. Screening of medicinal plants for development of functional food ingredients with antiobesity. J Korean Soc Appl Biol Chem 49: 221-226.
- Kim YS, Byun SH, Kim SC, Kum M, Cho EH. 2000. Effect on cure and prevention of an obesity. Kor J Herbology 15: 37-43.
- Jeon JR, Kim JY, Lee KM, Cho DH. 2005. Anti-obese effects of mixture contained pine needle, black tea and green tea extracts. J Korean Soc Appl Biol Chem 48: 375-381.
- Choi J, Jung HJ, Lee KT, Park HJ. 2005. Antinociceptive and anti-inflammatory effects of the saponin and obtained from the stem of Akebia quinata. J Med Food 8: 78-85. https://doi.org/10.1089/jmf.2005.8.78
- Jung HJ, Lee CO, Lee KT, Park HJ. 2004. Structure activity relationship of oleanane disaccharides isolated from Akebia quinata versus cytotoxicity against cancer cells and NO inhibition. Biol Pharm Bull 27: 744-747. https://doi.org/10.1248/bpb.27.744
- Higuchi R, Kawasaki T. 1976. Pericarp saponins of Akebia quinata Decne. I. Glycosides of hederagenin and oleanolic acid. Chem Pharm Bull 24: 1021-1032. https://doi.org/10.1248/cpb.24.1021
- Ikuta A, Itokawa H. 1988. A triterpene from Akebia quinata callus tissue. Phytochemistry 27: 3809-3810. https://doi.org/10.1016/0031-9422(88)83022-X
- Rim AR, Kim SJ, Jeon KI, Park EJ, Park HR, Lee SC. 2006. Antioxidant activity of extracts from Akebia quinata Decne. J Food Sci Nutr 11: 84-87. https://doi.org/10.3746/jfn.2006.11.1.084
- You YH, Jun WJ. 2012. Effects of fractions from Benincasa hispida on inhibition of adipogenesis in 3T3-L1 preadipocytes. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 41: 895-900. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2012.41.7.895
- Yoon BR, Lee YJ, Kim SG, Jang JY, Lee HK, Rhee SK, Hong HD, Choi HS. 2012. Antioxidant effect of hot water and ethanol extracts from Cheonnyuncho (Opuntia humidusa) on reactive oxygen species (ROS) production in 3T3- L1 adipocytes. Korean J Food Preserv 19: 443-450. https://doi.org/10.11002/kjfp.2012.19.3.443
- Kim MJ, Kim HK. 2009. Perilla leaf extract inhibits 3T3-L1 preadipocytes differentiation. Food Sci Biotechnol 18: 928-931.
- Liu F, Kim J, Li Y, Liu X, Li J, Chen X. 2001. An extract of Lagerstroemia speciosa L has insulin-like glucose uptake stimulatory and adipocyte differentiation-inhibitory activities in 3T3-L1 cells. J Nutr 131: 2242-2247.
- Grundy SM. 2004. Obesity, metabolic syndrome, and cardiovascular disease. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 89: 2595-2600. https://doi.org/10.1210/jc.2004-0372
- Tansey JT, Sztalryd C, Hlavin EM, Kimmel AR, Londos C. 2004. The central role of perilipin a in lipid metabolism and adipocyte lipolysis. IUBMB Life 56: 379-385. https://doi.org/10.1080/15216540400009968
- Lee JM, Yoon HK, Lee YH, Park JJ, You YH, Jang JY, Yang JW, Jun WJ. 2010. The potential effects of ethyl acetate fraction from Curcuma longa L. on lipolysis in differentiated 3T3-L1 adipocytes. J Med Food 13: 1-7. https://doi.org/10.1089/jmf.2009.1142
Hong SW, Lee JM, Choi JH, Park SE, Rhee EJ, Park CY, Oh KW, Park SW, Kim SW, Lee WY. 2012. The effect of AMPK activation on Wnt and sFRP5 in TNF-
$\alpha$induced adipocyte metabolic dysfunction in 3T3-L1 cell. Korean J Obes 21: 29-36. https://doi.org/10.7570/kjo.2012.21.1.29
- Seo DJ, Kim1 JM, Kim TH, Baek JM, Kim TW, Kim HS, Choe M. 2010. Anti-obesity effects of Foeniculum fructus water extract. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 39: 1604-1610. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2010.39.11.1604
- Lee JJ, Shin HD, Lee YM, Kim AR, Lee MY. 2009. Effect of broccoli sprouts on cholesterol-lowering and anti-obesity effects in rats fed high fat diet. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 38: 309-318. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2009.38.3.309
- Park YS, Yoon Y, Ahn HS. 2007. Platycodon grandiflorum extract represses up-regulated adipocyte fatty acid binding protein triggered by a high fat feeding in obese rats. World J Gastroenterol 13: 3493-3499. https://doi.org/10.3748/wjg.v13.i25.3493
- Kim HS, Kim TW, Kim DJ, Hwang HJ, Lee HJ, Choe M. 2007. Effects of natural plants supplementation on adipocyte size of the epididymal fat pads in rats. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 36: 419-423. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2007.36.4.419
- Xue X, Xiao Y, Gong L, Guan S, Liu Y, Lu H, Qi X, Zhang Y, Li Y, Wu X, Ren J. 2008. Comparative 28-day repeated oral toxicity of Longdan Xieganwan, Akebia trifoliate (Thunb.) koidz., Akebia quinata (Thunb.) Decne. and Caulis aristolochiae manshuriensis in mice. J Ethnopharmacol 119: 87-93. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jep.2008.05.037
- Anti-Adipogenic Effects of Ethanol Extracts Prepared from Selected Medicinal Herbs in 3T3-L1 Cells vol.21, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.3746/pnf.2016.21.3.227
- Ethanol Extract of Hippophae Rhamnoides L. Leaves Inhibits Adipogenesis through AMP-activated protein kinase (AMPK) Activation in 3T3-L1 Preadipocytes vol.28, pp.5, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7732/kjpr.2015.28.5.582
- Akebia quinata extract exerts anti-obesity and hypolipidemic effects in high-fat diet-fed mice and 3T3-L1 adipocytes vol.168, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jep.2015.03.051
- L. in Jeju vol.60, pp.4, 2017, https://doi.org/10.3839/jabc.2017.048