- Volume 43 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Immunomodulatory Effects of Fermented Curcuma longa L. Extracts on RAW 264.7 Cells
RAW 264.7 세포에서 발효 울금 추출물의 면역조절 효과
- Yoo, Seon A (Dept. of Medical Nutrition, Kyung Hee University) ;
- Kim, Ok Kyung (Dept. of Medical Nutrition, Kyung Hee University) ;
- Nam, Da-Eun (Dept. of Medical Nutrition, Kyung Hee University) ;
- Kim, Yongjae (Korea INSPharm Research Institute) ;
- Baek, Humyoung (Korea INSPharm Research Institute) ;
- Jun, Woojin (Dept. of Food and Nutrition, Chonnam National University) ;
- Lee, Jeongmin (Dept. of Medical Nutrition, Kyung Hee University)
- 유선아 (경희대학교 의학영양학과) ;
- 김옥경 (경희대학교 의학영양학과) ;
- 남다은 (경희대학교 의학영양학과) ;
- 김용재 (한국인스팜(주) 중앙연구소) ;
- 백흠영 (한국인스팜(주) 중앙연구소) ;
- 전우진 (전남대학교 식품영양학과) ;
- 이정민 (경희대학교 의학영양학과)
- Received : 2013.09.23
- Accepted : 2013.12.17
- Published : 2014.02.28
Curcuma longa L. (CL) is a well known traditional medicinal plant that is also used in curries and mustards as a coloring and flavoring agent. However, CL is not usually used as a food source due to its bitter taste. We investigated the immunomodulatory effect of CL fermented by Aspergillus oryzae (FCL) on RAW 264.7 cells. FCL was extracted with cold water (CW), hot water (HW), 20% ethanol (20% EtOH) and 80% ethanol (80% EtOH), after which its effects on phagocytic activity, tumor necrosis factor-alpha (TNF-
Supported by : 농림수산식품부
- Hogquist KA, Baldwin TA, Jameson SC. 2005. Central tolerance: learning self-control in the thymus. Nat Rev Immunol 5: 772-782. https://doi.org/10.1038/nri1707
- Banchereau J, Steinman RM. 1998. Dendritic cells and the control of immunity. Nature 392: 245-252. https://doi.org/10.1038/32588
- Gonzalez-Rey E, Chorny A, Delgado M. 2007. Regulation of immune tolerance by anti-inflammatory neuropeptides. Nat Rev Immunol 7: 52-63. https://doi.org/10.1038/nri1984
- Rosenthal AS. 1978. Determinant selection and macrophage function in genetic control of the immune response. Immunol Rev 40: 136-152. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-065X.1978.tb00404.x
- Huber C, Batchelor JR, Fuchs D, Hausen A, Lang A, Niederwieser D, Reibnegger G, Swetly P, Troppmair J, Wachter H. 1984. Immune response-associated production of neopterin. Release from macrophages primarily under control of interferon- gamma. J Exp Med 160: 310-316. https://doi.org/10.1084/jem.160.1.310
- Shevach EM, Rosenthal AS. 1973. Function of macrophages in antigen recognition by guinea pig T lymphocytes. II. Role of the macrophage in the regulation of genetic control of the immune response. J Exp Med 138: 1213-1229. https://doi.org/10.1084/jem.138.5.1213
- Ding AH, Nathan CF. 1988. Release of reactive nitrogen intermediates and reactive oxygen intermediates from mouse peritoneal macrophages: comparison of activating cytokines and evidence for independent production. J Immunol 141:2407-2412.
- Sharma JN, Al-Omran A, Parvathy SS. 2007. Role of nitric oxide in inflammatory diseases. Inflammopharmacol 15: 252-259. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10787-007-0013-x
- Korhonen R, Lahti A, Kankaanranta H, Molianen E. 2005. Nitric oxide productional and signaling in inflammation. Curr Drug Targets 4: 471-479. https://doi.org/10.2174/1568010054526359
- Medzhitov R, Janeway CA JR. 1997. Innate immunity: impact on the adaptive immune response. Curr Opin Immunol 9: 4-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0952-7915(97)80152-5
- An CS, Jin HL, Jeon YH, Bak JP, Kim JD, Yoon JH, Lim BO. 2010. Immunoregulatory effects of water extracts of Inonotus obliquus in carbon tetrachloride-induced liver damage animal model. Kor J Med Cro Sci 18: 1-8.
- Chace JH, Hooker NA, Mildenstein KL, Krieg AM, Cowdery JS. 1997. Bacterial DNA-induced NK cell IFN-gamma production is dependent on macrophage secretion of IL-12. Clin Immunol Immunopathol 84: 185-193. https://doi.org/10.1006/clin.1997.4380
- Tong H, Song X, Sun X, Sun G, Du F. 2011. Immunomodulatory and antitumor activities of grape seed proanthocyanidins. J Agric Food Chem 21: 11543-11547.
- Gao X, Kuo J, Jiang H, Deeb D, Liu Y, Divine G, Chapman RA, Dulchavsky SA, Gautam SC. 2004. Immunomodulatory activity of curcumin: suppression of lymphocyte proliferation, development of cell-mediated cytotoxicity, and cytokine production in vitro. Biochem Pharmacol 68: 51-61. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bcp.2004.03.015
- Kim YJ, You YH, Jun WJ. 2012. Hepatoprotective activity of fermented Curcuma longa L. on galactosamine-intoxicated rats. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 41: 790-795. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2012.41.6.790
- Kim MS, Chun SS, Kim SH, Choi JH. 2012. Effect of tumeric (Curcuma longa) on bile acid and UDP-glucuronyl transferase activity in rats fed a high-fat and cholesterol diet. J Life Sci 22: 1064-1070. https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2012.22.8.1064
- Kim HJ, Lee JW, Kim YD. 2011. Antimicrobial activity and antioxidant effect of Curcuma longa, Curcuma aromatica and Curcuma zedoaria. Korean J Food Preserv 18: 219-225. https://doi.org/10.11002/kjfp.2011.18.2.219
- An BJ, Lee JY, Park TS, Pyeon JR, Bae HJ, Song MA, Baek EJ, Park JM, Son JH, Lee CH, Choi KI. 2006. Antioxidant activity and whitening effect of extraction conditions in Curcuma longa L. Korean J Medicinal Crop Sci 14: 168-172.
- Selvam R, Subramanian L, Gayathri R, Angayarkanni N. 1995. The anti-oxidant activity of tumeric (Curcuma longa). J Ethnopharmacol 47: 59-67. https://doi.org/10.1016/0378-8741(95)01250-H
- Chainani-Wu N. 2003. Safety and anti-inflammatory activity of curcumin: a component of tumeric (Curcuma longa). J Altern Complement Med 9: 161-168. https://doi.org/10.1089/107555303321223035
- Ryu SR, Han KJ, Jang HD. 2005. Separation and purification of effectiveness components from ulgeum (Curcuma longa) & the test study of anticancer effects that use its. Appl Chem 9: 69-72.
- Varalakshmi Ch, Ali AM, Pardhasaradhi BV, Srivastava RM, Singh S, Khar A. 2008. Immunomodulatory effects of curcumin: in vivo. Int Immunopharmacol 8: 688-700. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.intimp.2008.01.008
- Srivastava RM, Singh S, Dubey SK, Misra K, Khar A. 2011. Immunomodulatory and therapeutic activity of curcumin. Int Immunopharmacol 3: 331-341.
- Ho JN, Jang JY, Yoon HG, Kim Y, Jun W, Lee J. 2012. Anti-obesity effect of a standardized ethanol extract from Curcuma longa L. fermented with Aspergillus oryzae in ob/ob mice and primary mouse adipocytes. J Sci Food Agric 92: 1833-1840. https://doi.org/10.1002/jsfa.5592
- Oh SJ, Mo JH. 2013. A study on skin related physiological activity of Curcuma longa and fermented Curcuma longa extracts. J Korean Soc Beauty and Art 14: 185-195.
- Ghosh DK, Stuehr DJ. 1995. Macrophage NO synthase: characterization of isolated oxygenase and reductase domains reveals a head-to-head subunit interaction. Biochemistry 34: 801-807. https://doi.org/10.1021/bi00003a013
- Szabo C. 1995. Alterations in nitric oxide production in various forms of circulatory shock. New Horiz 3: 2-32.
- Nam SH, Rhee YK, Hong HD, Lee YC, Kim YC, Shin KS, Cho CW. 2012. Immuno-modulatory activity of the crude polysaccharide from wild ginseng adventitious root. Korean J Food & Nutr 25: 755-761. https://doi.org/10.9799/ksfan.2012.25.4.755
- Kim JJ, Lee HJ, Yee ST. 2012. Effect of Pueraria thunbergiana extracts on the activation of immune cells. J Life Sci 22: 1107-1113. https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2012.22.8.1107
- Tracey KJ, Cerami A. 1994. Tumor necrosis factor: a pleiotropic cytokine and therapeutic target. Annu Rev Med 45: 491-503. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.med.45.1.491
- Bisht K, Choi WH, Park SY, Chung MK, Koh WS. 2009. Curcumin enhances non-inflammatory phagocytic activity of RAW 264.7 cells. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 379: 632-636. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bbrc.2008.12.135
- Dokun AO, Kim S, Smith HR, Kang HS, Chu DT, Yokoyama WM. 2001. Specific and nonspecific NK cell activation during virus infection. Nat Immunol 2: 951-956. https://doi.org/10.1038/ni714
- Chattopadhyay SK, Sengupta DN, Fredrickson TN, Morse HC 3rd, Hartley JW. 1991. Characteristics and contributions of defective, ecotropic, and mink cell focus-inducing viruses involved in a retrovirus-induced immunodeficiency syndrome of mice. J Virol 65: 4232-4241.
- Citrus Ethanol Extracts Promotes Innate Immune Response by Activating NF-κB vol.44, pp.9, 2015, https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2015.44.9.1256
- Fermentation Properties and Inflammatory Cytokines Modulating of Fermented Milk with Curcuma longa L Powder vol.25, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2015.25.1.75