- Volume 43 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Antioxidant Activities and Changes in trans-Resveratrol and Indigestible Oligosaccharides according to Fermentation Periods in Cheonggukjang
청국장의 발효기간에 따른 trans-Resveratrol과 비소화성 올리고당의 변화 및 항산화활성
- Choi, Myounghyo (Div. of Food Science, Gyeongnam National University of Science and Technology) ;
- Cho, Kyeman (Div. of Food Science, Gyeongnam National University of Science and Technology) ;
- Nam, Sanghae (Div. of Food Science, Gyeongnam National University of Science and Technology)
- Received : 2013.10.10
- Accepted : 2013.12.20
- Published : 2014.02.28
Cheonggukjang was manufactured using three different kinds of soybeans, after which changes in the content of phytoalexins such as trans-resveratrol (3,5,4'-trihydroxy-trans-stilbene) were measured. Along with phytoalexins, changes in the content of functional oligosaccharides such as stachyose and raffinose were also measured, and the corresponding antioxidant activities were studied. The content of trans-resveratrol was found to be higher in fermented beans than in raw beans. Generally, the content was higher as the fermentation period increased. After 48 hours of fermentation, the contents of trans-resveratrol were
Supported by : 경남과학기술대학교
- Kim YH. 2006. Market trends of soy based products - Soy based beverages in the market of USA and Europe -. Korean J Food Sci Technol 39: 11-16.
- Choi SH, Ji YA. 1989. Changes in flavor of chungkookjang during fermentation. Korean J Food Sci Technol 21: 229-234.
- Lee YL, Kim SH, Choung NH, Yim MH. 1992. A study on the production of viscous substance during the chungkookjang fermentation. J Korean Agric Chem Soc 35: 202-209.
- Ryu SH. 2002. Studies on antioxidative effects and antioxidative components of soybean and cheonggukjang. PhD Dissertation. Inje University, Gimhae, Korea. p 23-122.
- Lee JJ, Kim AR, Lee H, Kim CH, Chang HC, Lee MY. 2011. Effects of soybean, cheonggukjang and doenjang on serum cholesterol level and weight reduction in rats fed a high-fat/high-cholesterol diet. Korean J Food Preserv 18:226-235. https://doi.org/10.11002/kjfp.2011.18.2.226
- Toshiro M, Yoo HJ, Hwang JS, Lee DS, Kim HB. 2004. Isolation of angiotensin I-converting enzyme inhibitory peptide from chungkookjang. Korean J Microbiol 40: 355-358.
- Min HK, Kim HJ, Chang HC. 2008. Growth-inhibitory effect of the extract of porphyran-chungkookjang on cancer cell. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 37: 826-833. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2008.37.7.826
- Lee EH, Chyun JH. 2009. Effects of chongkukjang intake on lipid metabolism and liver function in alcoholic fatty liver rats. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 38: 1506-1515. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2009.38.11.1506
- Joo EY, Park CS. 2011. Antioxidant and fibrinolytic activities of extracts from soybean and chungkukjang. Korean J Food Preserv 18: 930-937. https://doi.org/10.11002/kjfp.2011.18.6.930
- Kim JS, Yoo SM, Choe JS, Park HJ, Hong SP, Chang CM. 1998. Physicochemical properties of traditional chonggugjang produced in different regions. Agric Chem Biotechnol 41: 377-383.
- Lee MJ, Cheong YK, Kim HS, Park KH, Doo HS, Suh DY. 2003. trans-Resveratrol content of varieties and growth period in peanut. Korean J Crop Sci 48: 429-433.
- Dourtoglou VG, Makris DP, Bois-Dounas F, Zonas C. 1999. trans-Resveratrol concentration in wines produced in Greece. J Food Comp and Anal 12: 227-233. https://doi.org/10.1006/jfca.1999.0821
- Paul B, Chereyathmanjiyil A, Masih I, Chapuis L, Benoit A. 1998. Biological control of Botrytis cinerea causing grey mould disease of grapevine and elicitation of stilbene phytoalexin (resveratrol) by a soil bacterium. FEMS Microbiology Letters 165: 65-70. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1574-6968.1998.tb13128.x
- Roggero JP. 2000. Study of the ultraviolet irradiation of resveratrol and wine. J Food Comp Analy 13: 93-97. https://doi.org/10.1006/jfca.1999.0846
- Lee NR, Choi SJ. 2009. Contents of resveratrol in different parts of various grape cultivars. Korean J Food Preserv 16: 959-964.
- Kim HB, Kim JB, Kim SL. 2005. Varietal analysis and quantification of resveratrol in mulberry fruits. Korean J Seric Sci 47: 51-55.
- Fremont L, Belguendouz L, Delpal S. 1999. Antioxidant activity of resveratrol and alcohol-free wine polyphenols related to LDL oxidation and polyunsaturated fatty acids. Life Sci 64: 2511-2521. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0024-3205(99)00209-X
- Maccarrone M, Lorenzon T, Guerrieri P, Agro AF. 1999. Resveratrol prevents apoptosis in K562 cells by inhibiting lipoxygenase and cyclooxygenase activity. Eur J Biochem 265: 27-34. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1432-1327.1999.00630.x
- Pendurthi UR, Todd Williams J, Mohan Rao LV. 1999. Resveratrol, a polyphenolic compound found in wine, inhibits tissue factor expression in vascular cells: A possible mechanism for the cardiovascular benefits associated with moderate consumption of wine. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 19: 419-426. https://doi.org/10.1161/01.ATV.19.2.419
- Lee HS, Sur EY, Kim WK. 2004. Resveratrol unduces apoptosis in SW480 human colon cancer cell lines. Food Sci Biotechnol 13: 80-84.
- Rural Development Adminstration. 2013. http://lib.rda.go. kr/newlib/dictN/dictSearch.asp? key word=soy oligosaccharide.
- IM SD. 1995. The relationship of bifidobacteria and oligosaccharides. New Food Industry 37: 23-32.
- Choung MG, Lee JC. 2003. Functional characteristics of soybean oligosaccharide. Korean J Crop Sci 48: 58-64.
- Lee JJ, Cho CH, Kim JY, Kee DS, Kim HB. 2001. Antioxidant activity of substances extracted by alcohol from chungkookjang powder. Korean J Microbiology 37: 177-181.
- Joo EY, Park CS. 2010. Antioxidative and fibrinolytic activity of extracts from soybean and chungkukjang (fermented soybeans) prepared from a black soybean cultivar. Korean J Food Preserv 17: 874-880.
- Lee JH, Nam SH, Seo WT, Yun HD, Hong SY, Kim MK, Cho KM. 2012. The production of surfactin during the fermentation of cheonggukjang by potential probiotic Bacillus subtilis CSY191 and the resultant growth suppression of MCF-7 human breast cancer cells. Food Chem 131: 1347-1354. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2011.09.133
- Benzie IFF, Strain JJ. 1996. The ferric reducing ability of plasma (FRAP) as a measure of "antioxidant power": The FRAP assay. Anal Biochem 239: 70-76. https://doi.org/10.1006/abio.1996.0292
- Re R, Pellegrini N, Proteggente A, Pannala A, Yang M, Rice- Evans C. 1999. Antioxidant activity applying an improved ABTS radical cation decolorization assay. Radic Biol Med 26: 1231-1237. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0891-5849(98)00315-3
- Wang KH, Lai YH, Chang JC, Ko TF, Shyu SL, Chiou RY. 2005. Germination of peanut kernels to enhance resveratrol biosynthesis and prepare sprouts as a functional vegetable. J Agric Food Chem 53: 242-246. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf048804b
- Ahn JB. 2006. Development of red wine containing high level of trans-resveratrol with domestic grape. Food Eng Prog 10: 226-232.
- Choung MG, Lee JC. 2003. Functional characteristics of soybean oligosaccharide. J Crop Sci 48: 58-64.
- Choi UK, Son DH, Ji WD, Im MH, Choi JD, Chung YG. 1998. Changes of taste components and palatability during chunggugjang fermentation by Bacillus subtilis DC-2. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 27: 840-845.
- Son DH, Kwon OJ, Ji WD, Choi UK, Kown OJ, Lee EJ, Cho YJ, Cha WS, Chung YG. 2000. The quality changes of chungugjang prepared by Bacillus sp. CS-17 during fermentation time. J Korean Soc Agric Chem 43: 1-6.
- Choi IS, Moon YS, Kwak EJ. 2012. Composition of resveratrol and other bioactive compounds, and antioxidant activities in different mulberry cultivars. Kor J Hort Sci Technol 30: 301-307. https://doi.org/10.7235/hort.2012.12040
- Lee YJ, Kim EO, Choi SW. 2011. Isolation and identification of antioxidant polyphenolic compounds in mulberry (Morus alba L.) seeds. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 40: 517-524. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2011.40.4.517
- Lee JJ, Kim AR, Chang HC, Lee MY. 2009. Antioxidative effects of chungkukjang preparation by adding solar salt. Korean J Food Preserv 16: 238-245.
- Kwak CS, Lee MS, Park SC. 2007. Higher antioxidant properties of chungkookjang a fermented soybean paste, may be due to increased aglycone and malonylglycoside isoflavone during fermentation. Nutr Res 27: 719-727. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nutres.2007.09.004
- Shon MY, Seo KI, Lee SW, Choi SH, Sung NJ. 2000. Biological activities of chungkugjang prepared with black bean and changes in phytoestrogen content during fermentation. Korean J Food Sci Technol 32: 936-941.
- Anti-obesity Effect of Steamed Soybean and Fermented Steamed Soybean in High-fat Diet-induced Obese ICR Mice vol.23, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.20307/nps.2017.23.1.61
- Changes in the phenolic compounds and antioxidant activities of mustard leaf (Brassica juncea) kimchi extracts during different fermentation periods vol.26, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10068-017-0014-5