- Volume 43 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Quality Characteristics and Antioxidant Activity of Immature Citrus unshiu Vinegar
감귤 미숙과 식초의 품질 특성과 항산화 활성
- Yi, Mi-Ran (Biotechnology Regional Innovation Center) ;
- Hwang, Joon-Ho (Biotechnology Regional Innovation Center) ;
- Oh, You-Sung (Biotechnology Regional Innovation Center) ;
- Oh, Hyun-Jeong (Biotechnology Regional Innovation Center) ;
- Lim, Sang-Bin (Biotechnology Regional Innovation Center)
- 이미란 (제주대학교 생명과학기술혁신센터) ;
- 황준호 (제주대학교 생명과학기술혁신센터) ;
- 오유성 (제주대학교 생명과학기술혁신센터) ;
- 오현정 (제주대학교 생명과학기술혁신센터) ;
- 임상빈 (제주대학교 생명과학기술혁신센터)
- Received : 2013.10.18
- Accepted : 2013.12.04
- Published : 2014.02.28
To develop vinegar with immature Citrus unshiu (IC), bacterial strains with high acetic acid-producing capabilities were isolated and identified, after which their quality characteristics, total phenolic and total flavonoid contents, and antioxidant activities were measured. Five bacterial strains were isolated from naturally fermented C. unshiu, and three were identified as Acetobacter fabarum (A. sp. RIC I) and A. pomorum (A. sp. RIC II, V). A. sp. RIC V showed the highest acetic acid-producing capability and was thus chosen as the candidate strain for further acetic fermentation using IC juice. Vinegars made with 30, 35, and 40% IC juices showed acidities of 5.38, 5.38, and 5.32% and fermentation efficiencies of 73, 72, and 70%, respectively. The fermentation periods required to reach greater than 5% acidity were 11, 9, and 9 days for vinegars containing 30, 35, and 40% IC juices, respectively. Fructose and glucose contents of the vinegars increased along with total organic acid contents including acetic acid, with increasing IC juice contents. Total phenolics were 1,546.6 and
Supported by : 중소기업청
- Kang YJ, Yang MH, Ko WJ, Park SR, Lee BG. 2005. Studies on the major components and antioxidative properties of whole fruit powder and juice prepared from premature mandarin orange. Korean J Food Sci Technol 37: 783-788.
- Jun IS, Yoon JY. 2013. Analysis of the competitiveness factors of the citrus industry of Jeju. Korean J Food Mark Econ 30: 23-42.
- Oh TH. 2011. A study on the cosmetic ingredients from immature citrus and Eurya emarginata makino. PhD Dissertation. Jeju National University, Jeju, Korea.
- Park GH, Lee SH, Kim HY, Jeong HS, Kim EY, Yun YW, Nam SY, Lee BJ. 2011. Comparison in antioxidant effects of four citrus fruits. J Fd Hyg Safety 26: 355-360.
- Kim YD. 2009. Study on the composition of flavonoids and biological activities from Jeju citrus fruits. PhD Dissertation. Jeju National University, Jeju, Korea.
- Lee DW. 2004. Antioxidant and antimicrobial effects of Citrus flavonoids and limonoids. MS Thesis. Yonsei University, Seoul, Korea.
Son HS, Kim HS, Ju JS. 1991. Effects of rutin and hesperidin on total cholesterol concentration, transaminase and alkaline phosphatase activity in
$CCl_4$treated rats. J Korean Soc Appl Biol Chem 34: 318-326.
- Jeoung SH, Gim SB, Choi HJ, Kim DH. 2012. Study of anti-microbe activity of essential oil purified from Citrus unshiu S. Marcov. Daejeon Univ Traditional Korean Med Res Instit J 20: 67-78.
- Choi SY, Ko HC, Ko SY, Hwang JH, Park JG, Kang SH, Kim SJ. 2007. Correlation between flavonoid content and the NO production inhibitory activity of peel extracts from various citrus fruits. Biol Pharm Bull 30: 772-778. https://doi.org/10.1248/bpb.30.772
- Park SY, Chae KS, Son RH, Jung JH, Im YR, Kwon JW. 2012. Quality characteristics and antioxidant activity of Bokbunja (black raspberry) vinegars. Food Eng Prog 16: 340-346.
- Cho JH. 2012. Letter: Balsamic vinegar improves high fat-induced beta cell dysfunction via beta cell ABCA-1. Diabetes Metab 36: 388-389. https://doi.org/10.4093/dmj.2012.36.5.388
- Sakanaka S, Ishihara Y. 2008. Comparison of antioxidant properties of persimmon vinegar and some other commercial vinegars in radical-scavenging assays and on lipid oxidation in tuna homogenates. Food Chem 107: 739-744. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2007.08.080
- Nakamura K, Ogasawara Y, Endou K, Fujimori S, Koyama M, Akano H. 2010. Phenolic compounds responsible for the superoxide dismutase-like activity in high-brix apple vinegar. J Agric Food Chem 58: 10124-10132. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf100054n
- Kang SK, Jang MJ, Kim YD. 2006. Isolation and culture conditions of Acetobacter sp. for the production of citron (Citrus junos) vinegar. Korean J Food Preserv 13: 357-362.
- Kim ML, Choi KH. 2005. Sensory characteristics of citrus vinegar fermented by Gluconacetobacter hansenii CV1. Korean J Food Cookery Sci 21: 243-249.
- Kim YT, Seo KI, Jung YJ, Lee YS, Shim KH. 1997. The production of vinegar using citron (Citrus junos Seib) juice. J East Asian Dietary Life 7: 301-307.
- Food Code. 2010. Korea Foods Industry Association, Seoul, Korea. p 301-316.
- Zhang Q, Zhang J, Shen J, Silva A, Dennis D, Barrow CJ. 2006. A simple 96-well microplate method for estimation of total polyphenol content in seaweeds. J Appl Phycol 18: 445-450. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10811-006-9048-4
- Chang C, Yang M, Wen H, Chern J. 2002. Estimation of total flavonoid content in propolis by two complementary colorimetric methods. J Food Drug Anal 10: 178-182.
- Blois MS. 1958. Antioxidant determinations by the use of a stable free radical. Nature 181: 1199-1200. https://doi.org/10.1038/1811199a0
- Re R, Pellegrini N, Proteggente A, Pannala A, Yang M, Rice-Evans C. 1999. Antioxidant activity applying an improved ABTS radical cation decolorization assay. Free Radic Biol Med 26: 1231-1237. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0891-5849(98)00315-3
- Liu F, Ooi VEC, Chang ST. 1997. Free radical scavenging activities of mushroom polysaccharide extracts. Life Sci 60: 763-771. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0024-3205(97)00004-0
- Osada Y, Tsuchimoto M, Fukushima H, Takahashi K, Kondo S, Hasegawa M, Komoriya K. 1993. Hypouricemic effect of the novel xanthine oxidase inhibitor, TEI-6720, in rodents. Eur J Pharmacol 241: 183-188. https://doi.org/10.1016/0014-2999(93)90201-R
- Lee SH, Park HJ, Back OH, Chun HK, Rhee SG, Lee GS. 2005. Comparison of the nutritional composition of 3 kinds of citrus produced on Jeju island, Korea. Korean J Community Living Sci 16: 15-20.
- Ko JS, Yang SH, Yang YT, Jwa CS. 1998. Physicochemical properties of early cultivar of Satsuma mandarin sampled at different harvested dates in Cheju. J Korean Soc Appl Biol Chem 41: 141-146.
- Lee JC, Han WC, Lee JH, Jang KH. 2012. Quality evaluation of vinegar manufactured using rice and Rosa rugosa Thunb. Korean J Food Sci Technol 44: 202-206. https://doi.org/10.9721/KJFST.2012.44.2.202
- Mo HW, Jung YH, Jeong JS, Choi KH, Choi SW, Park CS, Choi MA, Kim ML, Kim MS. 2013. Quality characteristics of vinegar fermented using omija (Schizandra chinensis Baillon). J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 42: 441-449. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2013.42.3.441
- Kim YD, Kang SH, Kang SG. 1996. Studies on the acetic acid fermentation using maesil juice. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 25: 695-700.
- Park SK, Kang SG, Chung HJ. 1994. Effects of essential oil in astringent persimmon leaves on Kimchi fermentation. Kor J Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 22: 217-221.
- Choi SH, Kwak EJ. 2012. Volatile flavor compound and sensory properties of Yakju fermented with different contents of Meoru (Vitis coignetiae). J East Asian Diet Life 22: 642-648.
- Song EY, Choi YH, Kang KH, Koh JS. 1998. Free sugar, organic acid, hesperidin, naringin and inorganic elements changes of Cheju citrus fruits according to harvest date. Korean J Food Sci Technol 30: 306-312.
- Hong SK. 2010. Study on quality properties of mulberry vinegar with different addition ratios of mulberry fruit. MS Thesis. Sunchon National University, Sunchon, Korea.
- Woo CH, Park CH, Yoon HH. 2000. Production of acetic acid from cellulosic biomass. Korean J Biotechnol Bioeng 15: 458-463.
- Yoon SR, Kim GR, Lee JH, Lee SW, Yeo SH, Jeong YJ, Kwon JH. 2010. Properties of organic acids and volatile components in brown rice vinegar prepared using different yeasts and fermentation methods. Korean J Food Preserv 17: 733-740.
- Lee SO, Kim MJ, Kim DG, Choi HJ. 2008. Antioxidative activities of temperature-stepwise water extracts from Inonotus obliquus. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 34: 139-147. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2005.34.2.139
- Wang MF, Shao Y, Yi JG, Zhu NQ, Rngarajan M, Lavoic EJ. 1998. Antioxidative phenolic compounds from sage (Salivia officinalis). J Agric Food Chem 46: 4869-4873. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf980614b
- Stella SP, Ferrarezi AC, dos Santos KO, Monteiro M. 2011. Antioxidant activity of commercial ready-to-drink orange juice and nectar. J Food Sci 76: 392-397.
- Kahkonen MP, Hopia AI, Vuorela HJ, Rauha JP, Pihlaja K, Kujala TS, Heinonen M. 1999. Antioxidant activity of plant extracts containing phenolic compounds. J Agric Food Chem 47: 3954-3962. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf990146l
- Cejudo Bastante MJ, Duran Guerrero E, Castro Mejias R, Natera Marín R, Rodriguez Dodero MC, Barroso CG. 2010. Study of the polyphenolic composition and antioxidant activity of new sherry vinegar-derived products by maceration with fruits. J Agric Food Chem 58: 11814-11820. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf1029493
- Russo A, Acquaviva R, Campisi A, Sorrenti V, Di Giacomo C, Virgata G, Vanella A. 2000. Bioflavonoids as antiradicals, antioxidants and DNA cleavage protectors. Cell Biol Toxicol 16: 91-98. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1007685909018
- Sensory properties of Satsuma mandarin by quantitative descriptive analysis vol.22, pp.2, 2015, https://doi.org/10.11002/kjfp.2015.22.2.241
- Physicochemical Characteristics and Antioxidant Activity of Bracken (Pteridium aquilinum Kuhn) in Namhae vol.31, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.9724/kfcs.2015.31.3.288
- Fermentation characteristics of mulberry (Cudrania tricuspidata) fruit vinegar produced by acetic acid bacteria isolated from traditional fermented foods vol.22, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.11002/kjfp.2015.22.1.108
- Changes in quality characteristic of immature flat persimmon (Diospyros kaki Thunb) during heat treatment aging vol.23, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.11002/kjfp.2016.23.3.301
- Antimicrobial and ACE Inhibitory Activities of Citrus unshiu Fermented with Lactic Acid Bacteria vol.44, pp.7, 2015, https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2015.44.7.1084
- Quality characteristics of detoxified Rhus verniciflua vinegar fermented using different acetic acid bacteria vol.23, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.11002/kjfp.2016.23.3.347
- Optimization of the Acetic Acid Fermentation for Aronia Vinegar using Response Surface Methodology vol.30, pp.6, 2014, https://doi.org/10.9724/kfcs.2014.30.6.792
- Quality Characteristics of Vinegar Added with Different Levels of Black Garlic vol.32, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.9724/kfcs.2016.32.1.16
- Anti-Photoaging Effect of Jeju Putgyul (Unripe Citrus) Extracts on Human Dermal Fibroblasts and Ultraviolet B-induced Hairless Mouse Skin vol.18, pp.10, 2017, https://doi.org/10.3390/ijms18102052
- Quality characteristics of vinegar fermented with different amounts of black garlic and alcohol vol.23, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.11002/kjfp.2016.23.1.34