- Volume 43 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Quality Properties of Peach Pudding Added with Korean Peach (Prunus persica L. Batsch) Juice and Gelatin
복숭아 과즙과 젤라틴을 이용한 복숭아 푸딩의 품질특성
- Park, Seul-Gi (Dept. of Food Science and Technology, Chungbuk National University) ;
- Song, Tae-Hee (Dept. of Food Science and Technology, Chungbuk National University) ;
- Kim, Dong-Ho (Dept. of Food Science and Engineering, Seowon University) ;
- Kim, Gil-Hah (Dept. of Plant Medicine, Chungbuk National University) ;
- Jang, Keum-Il (Dept. of Food Science and Technology, Chungbuk National University)
- Received : 2013.10.07
- Accepted : 2013.10.21
- Published : 2014.02.28
In this study, we investigated the quality properties and sensory evaluation of pudding added with peach (Prunus persica L. Batsch) juice and gelatin. The water content and pH of pudding decreased with increased peach juice content, whereas the sugar content increased. Further, the water content of pudding decreased with increased gelatin content, whereas the pH was constantly maintained and the sugar content slightly increased. Regarding the color of pudding, the L and b values decreased with increased peach juice content, whereas the L value increased with increased gelatin content. Regarding the texture of pudding, hardness and springiness decreased with increased peach juice content, whereas adhesiveness, chewiness, and cohesiveness all increased. All texture properties increased with higher gelatin content. In the sensory evaluation of color, flavor, taste, texture, and overall preference, pudding with 60% (w/w) peach juice and 1.5% (w/w) gelatin showed the highest values. These results demonstrate the possibility of using high value-added products for peach processing in the food industry, as the addition of peach juice and gelatin enhanced the quality and sensory properties of pudding.
- Park JD, Hong SI, Park HW, Kim DM. 1999. Modified atmosphere packaging of peaches (Prunus persica L. Batsch) for distribution at ambient temperature. Korean J Food Sci Technol 31: 1227-1234.
- Kim DM, Kim KH, Choi IJ, Yook HS. 2012. Composition and physicochemical properties of unripe Korean peaches according to cultivars. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 41: 221-226. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2012.41.2.221
- Park GS, Cho JW. 1998. The Effects of addition of agar on the texture characteristics of peach jelly. Korean J Food Nutr 11: 61-67.
- Lee KH, Lee YC. 1995. Flavor quality of aroma fractions recovered from peach pulp. Korean J Food Sci Technol 27: 921-927.
- Spencer MD, Pangborn PM, Jennings WG. 1978. Gas chromatographic and sensory analysis of volatiles cling peaches. J Agric Food Chem 26: 725-732. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf60217a052
- Chung JH, Mok C, Lim S, Park YS. 2003. Changes of physiochemical properties during fermentation of peach wine and quality improvement by ultrafiltration. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 32: 506-512. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2003.32.4.506
- Block G, Patterson B, Subar A. 1992. Fruit, vegetable, and cancer prevention: A review of the epidemiological evidence. Nutr Cancer 18: 1-29. https://doi.org/10.1080/01635589209514201
- Whitelock DP, Brusewitz GH, Smith MW, Zang X. 1994. Humidity and airflow during storage affect peach quality. HortScience 29: 798-801.
- Park HS. 2010. Characteristics of peach wine with different commercial yeast strains. J East Asian Soc Dietary Life 20: 531-535.
- Lee JB, Chung HS. 2008. Studies on the components of unripe preaches. Korean J Food Preserv 15: 79-83. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1745-4549.1991.tb00155.x
- Kim KH, Kim DM, Yu S, Yook HS. 2012. Antioxidant and whitening activities of various cultivars of Korean unripe peaches (Prunus persica L. Batsch). J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 41: 156-160. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2012.41.2.156
- Kim SJ, Park HY. 2010. Comparison of free sugar content and related enzyme activities on different parts of 'Changhowon Hwangdo' peach fruit. Korean J Hort Sci Technol 28: 387-393.
Na HS, Bae RN, Lee SG. 2012. Effect of nitrous oxide (
$N_2O$) treatment on quality of peach (Prunus persica) postharvest. Korean J Hort Sci Technol 30: 42-49. https://doi.org/10.7235/hort.2012.11045
Park JY, Son IC, Kim D. 2010. Effects of foliar spray of calcium hydroxide on shoot growth and fruit quality in 'Daewol' peach (Prunus persica
Batsch). Korean J Environ Agric 29: 102-108. https://doi.org/10.5338/KJEA.2010.29.2.102
- Park HJ, Yoon IK, Yang YJ. 2010. Quality changes in peaches 'Hwangdo' treated with 1-MCP. Korean J Hort Sci Technol 28: 97-98.
- Kim MS, Kim KH, Yook HS. 2009. The Effects of gamma irradiation on the microbiological, physicochemical and sensory quality of peach (Prunus persica L. Batsch cv Dangeumdo). J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 38: 364-371. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2009.38.3.364
- Youn SJ, Lee ET, Cho JG, Kim DJ. 2010. Effect of enzyme treatment on functional properties of nectarine beverage. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 39: 1379-1383. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2010.39.9.1379
- Sun Y, Hayakawa S, Ogawa M, Izumori K. 2007. Antioxidant properties of custard pudding dessert containing rare hexose, D-psicose. Food Control 18: 220-227. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodcont.2005.09.019
- Yu OK, Back HI, Cha YS. 2008. Quality characteristics of pudding added with Bokbunja (Rubus coreanus Miquel) fruit juice Bokbunja wine. Korean J Food Culture 23: 616-620.
- Ryu J, Jung J, Lee S, Ko S. 2012. Comparison of physicochemical properties of agar and gelatin gel with uniform hardness. Food Eng Prog 16: 14-19.
- Ko JA, Oh YS, Park HJ. 2012. Preparation and characterization of aminated gelatin-fucoidan microparticles. Korean J Food Sci Technol 44: 191-195. https://doi.org/10.9721/KJFST.2012.44.2.191
- Jeong JS, Kim ML. 2008. Quality evaluation of citrus jelly prepared using concentrated citrus juice. Korean J Food Cookery Sci 24: 174-181.
- Lim YT, Kim DH, Ahn JB, Choi SH, Han GP, Kim GH, Jang KI. 2012. Quality characteristics of madeleine with peach (Prunus persica L. Batsch) juice. Korean J Food & Nutr 25: 664-670. https://doi.org/10.9799/ksfan.2012.25.3.664
- Park GS, Bae MJ, Seo GJ. 2011. Quality characteristics of the Hasuo (Polygoni multiflori Radix) muffin prepared with different types of sweeteners. Korean J Food Preserv 18: 836-843. https://doi.org/10.11002/kjfp.2011.18.6.836
- Cho SA, Yoo KM, Lee S, Kim KT, Hwang IK. 2013. Quality characteristics of nutrition bar substituted with defatted ginseng seed meal. Korean J Food Cookery Sci 29: 249-256. https://doi.org/10.9724/kfcs.2013.29.3.249
- Jang JH, Park JH, Ban KE, Lee KH. 2012. Changes in the quality of peaches (Prunus persica L. Batsch) treated by UV-C irradiation during storage. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 41: 1798-1804. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2012.41.12.1798
- Jin TY, Quan WR, Wang MH. 2010. Manufacturing characteristics and physicochemical component analysis of Bokbunja (Rubus coreanus Miquel) jelly. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 39: 554-559. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2010.39.4.554
- Choi YJ, Lim ST, Yoo B. 2004. Measurement of dynamic rheology during ageing of gelatine-sugar composites. Intl J Food Sci Technol 39: 935-945. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.2004.00871.x
- Chang MS, An S, Jeong MC, Kim D, Kim GH. 2011. Effects of antioxidative activities and antibrowning of extracts from onion, apple and mandarin orange peel as natural antibrown ing agents. Korean J Food & Nutr 24: 406-413. https://doi.org/10.9799/ksfan.2011.24.3.406
- Lee GC, Lee CY. 1997. Inhibitory effect of caramelization products on enzymatic browning. Food Chem 60: 231-235. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0308-8146(96)00325-1
- Mo EK, Kim HH, Kim SM, Jo HH, Sung CK. 2007. Production of Sedum extract adding jelly and assessment of its physicochemical properties. Korean J Food Sci Technol 39: 619-624.
- Han JM, Chung HJ. 2013. Quality characteristics of Yanggaeng added with blueberry powder. Korean J Food Preserv 20: 265-271. https://doi.org/10.11002/kjfp.2013.20.2.265
- Choi EH, Kim DS, Choi SK, Park KB. 2013. Optimization and quality characteristics of balsamic vinegar jelly with various gelling agents. Korean J Culinary Res 19: 151-163.
- Development of Elderly Diet Food using Chicken Breast Meat vol.29, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.9799/ksfan.2016.29.1.037
- Antioxidant capacity of anthocyanin-rich fruits and vegetables and changes of quality characteristics of black carrot added pudding according to storage vol.59, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.3839/jabc.2016.047