- Volume 43 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Quality Characteristics of Bread added with Aronia Powder (Aronia melanocarpa)
아로니아 분말을 첨가한 식빵의 품질특성
- Yoon, Hyang-Sik (Chungcheongbukdo Agricultural Research and Extension Services) ;
- Kim, Ji Won (Chungcheongbukdo Agricultural Research and Extension Services) ;
- Kim, Sang Hee (Chungcheongbukdo Agricultural Research and Extension Services) ;
- Kim, Yee Gi (Chungcheongbukdo Agricultural Research and Extension Services) ;
- Eom, Hyun-Ju (Chungcheongbukdo Agricultural Research and Extension Services)
- Received : 2013.10.08
- Accepted : 2014.01.13
- Published : 2014.02.28
This study was carried out to investigate the quality characteristics of bread added with Aronia powder. Breads were prepared with different amounts of Aronia powder (in ratios of 0, 1, 3, 5, and 10% of total flour). As the Aronia powder content increased, the pH level decreased while total acidity increased. For color, bread added with 10% Aronia powder showed low lightness and yellowness but high redness. As the Aronia powder content increased, antioxidant activity, total polyphenol content, and baking loss also significantly increased. For the preservation period, breads added with Aronia showed mold growth within 4 days, whereas the control showed growth within 2 days. Bread added with 10% Aronia showed strong retrogradation. In the sensory evaluation, appearance, color, and overall acceptance of bread added with 3% Aronia showed remarkably higher values than both the control and others samples.
Supported by : 농촌진흥청
- Legras JL, Merdinoglu D, Cornuet JM, Karst F. 2007. Bread, beer and wine: Saccharomyces cerevisiae diversity reflects human history. Mol Ecol 16: 2091-2102. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-294X.2007.03266.x
- Kang CO. 2002. Effect of the addition of powdered-bamboo leaves on the quality and preservations of breads. MS Thesis. Chonnam National University, Gwangju, Korea. p 30-45.
- Lee H, Joo N. 2012. Optimization of pan bread prepared with ramie powder and preservation of optimized pan bread treated by gamma irradiation during storage. Prev Nutr Food Sci 17: 53-63. https://doi.org/10.3746/pnf.2012.17.1.053
- Lee SH, Yun MS, Lee JH, Min SG, Lee SK. 2005. Quality characteristics of white pan bread with olive oil. J Korean Soc Appl Biol Chem 3: 217-221.
- Chrubasic C, Li G, Chrubasik S. 2010. The clincal effectiveness of chokeberry: a systematic review. Phytother Res 24: 1107-1114.
- Zheng W, Wang SY. 2003. Oxygen radical absorbing capacity of phenolics in blueberries, cranberries, chokeberries, and lingonberries. J Agric Food Chem 51: 502-509. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf020728u
- Ohgami K, Ilieva I, Shiratori K, Koyama Y, Jin XH, Yoshida K, Kase S, Kitaichi N, Suzuki Y, Tanaka T, Ohno S. 2005. Anti-inflammatory effects of Aronia extract on rat endotoxin- induced uveitis. Invest Ophth Vis Sci 46: 275-281. https://doi.org/10.1167/iovs.04-0715
- Jankowski A, Niedworok J, Jankowska B. 1999. The influence of Aronia melanocarpa Elliot on experimental diabetes in the rats. Herba Polonica 45: 345-353.
- Gasiorowski K, Szyba K, Brokos B, Kolaczynska B, Jankowiak-Wlodarczyk M, Oszmianski J. 1997. Antimutagenic activity of anthocyanins isolated from Aronia melanocarpa fruits. Cancer Lett 119: 37-46. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0304-3835(97)00248-6
- Hwang ES, Lee YJ. 2013. Quality characteristics and antioxidant activities of yanggaeng with aronia juice. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 42: 1220-1226. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2013.42.8.1220
- AACC. 1983. Approved method of the America Association of Cereal Chemists. 8th ed. St. Paul, MN, USA.
- Pyler EJ. 1979. Physical and chemical test methods. In Baking Science and Technology. Sosland Publishing Co., Manhattan, KS, USA. p 891-895.
- Blois MS. 1958. Antioxidant determinations by the use of a stable free radical. Nature 181: 1199-1200. https://doi.org/10.1038/1811199a0
- Amerine MA, Ough CS. 1980. Methods for analysis of musts and win. Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, USA. p 176-180.
- Kang MY, Choi YH, Choi HC. 1997. Interrelation between physicochemical properties of milled rice and retrogradation of rice bread during cold storage. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 26: 886-891.
- Herbert A, Joel LS. 1993. Sensory evaluation practice. Academic Press, New York, NY, USA. p 68-75.
- Hong SY, Shin GM. 2008. Quality characteristics of white pan bread with garlic powder. Korean J Food & Nutr 21: 485-491.
- Nam HY, Cho JS. 2006. Quality characteristics of white pan bread with ingredients of Sagoonja-Tang. Korean J Food Cookery Sci 22: 458-467.
- Lee YW, Shin DH. 2001. Bread properties utilizing extracts of mume. Korean J Food & Nutr 14: 305-310.
- Bae JH, Woo HS, Choi HJ, Choi C. 2001. Qualities of bread added with Korean persimmons (Diospyros kaki L. folium) leaf powder. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 30: 882-887.
- An HL, Lee KS. 2010. Quality characteristics of pan bread by the addition of cranberry powder. J East Asian Soc Dietary Life 20: 697-705.
- Jeon TG, An HL, Lee KS. 2010. Quality characteristics of bread added with turmeric powder. J East Asian Soc Dietary Life 20: 113-121.
- Kim JS, Nam YJ, Kwon TW. 1996. Induction of quinine reductase by genistein, soybean isoflavone. Food Sci Biotechnol 5: 70-75.
- Son JH, Choung MG, Choi HJ, Jang UB, Son GM, Byun MW, Choi C. 2001. Physiological effect of Korean black soybean pigment. Korean J Food Sci Technol 33: 746-768.
- Kim WM, Lee YS. 2007. A study on antioxidant activity of bread with waxy black rice flour added. Korean J Culinary Res 13: 178-185.
- Hakkinen S, Heinonen M, Karenlampi S, Mykkanen H, Ruuskanen J, Toarronen R. 1999. Screening of selected flavonoids and phenolic acids in 19 berries. Food Res Int 32: 345-353. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0963-9969(99)00095-2
- Hwang YK, Hyun YH, Lee YS. 2004. Study on the characteristics of bread with jasmin tea powder. Korean J Food & Nutr 17: 41-46.
- Fujiyama Y. 1984. Baking science & technology. Japan International Baking School, Tokyo, Japan. p 49-106.
- Tanaka Y, Matsumoto H. 1997. The baking science and technology. Kourin Co., Tokyo, Japan. p 31-200.
- Sarah RL, Priscilla M, Damme EV, Tenbergen K. 2005. On baking: A textbook of baking and pastry fundamentals. Pearson-Prentice Hall, Saddle river, NJ, USA. p 50-52.
- Quality Characteristics of Rice Nutritional Bar added with Aronia Byproducts Powder vol.28, pp.6, 2015, https://doi.org/10.9799/ksfan.2015.28.6.947
- Quality characteristics and antioxidant activities ofaronia jams added with apple vol.23, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.11002/kjfp.2016.23.2.180
- Quality Characteristics of Steamed Bread Containing Pomegranate (Punica granatum L.) Peel Powder vol.33, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.9724/kfcs.2017.33.1.54
- The Effect of Aronia Powder (Aronia melanocarpa) on Antioxidant Activity and Quality Characteristics of Pork Patties vol.31, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.9724/kfcs.2015.31.1.083
- Quality Characteristics of Jelly Added with Aronia (Aronia melancocarpa) Juices vol.31, pp.4, 2015, https://doi.org/10.9724/kfcs.2015.31.4.456
- Quality of White Bread Containing Aster yomena Powder vol.45, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2016.45.1.091
- Neuroprotective Effects of Bread Containing Cirsium setidens or Aster scaber vol.43, pp.6, 2014, https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2014.43.6.829
- Quality Characteristics and Antioxidant Activities of Cookies Supplemented with Aronia Powder vol.45, pp.7, 2016, https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2016.45.7.1071
- Effect of Houttuynia cordata Thunb. Powder on the Quality Characteristics of Bread vol.47, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.9721/KJFST.2015.47.1.75
- Antioxidative Activities and Quality Characteristics of Steamed Roll with Added Ligularia fischeri (Ledeb.) Turcz. Powder vol.32, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.9724/kfcs.2016.32.2.147
- Influence of the addition of aronia powder on the quality and antioxidant activity of muffins vol.21, pp.5, 2014, https://doi.org/10.11002/kjfp.2014.21.5.668
- Quality Characteristics of Bread with Burdock (Arctium lappa L.) Powder vol.44, pp.12, 2015, https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2015.44.12.1826
- Quality Characteristics and Antioxidant Activities of Morning Bread Containing Portulaca oleracea L. vol.31, pp.5, 2015, https://doi.org/10.9724/kfcs.2015.31.5.524
- Quality Characteristics of Bread added with Gochujang vol.26, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.17495/easdl.2016.4.26.2.99
- Nutritional Compositions and Physicochemical Properties of Two Domestic Aronia (A. melanocarpa) Varieties vol.29, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.9799/ksfan.2016.29.2.283
- Optimization of the Acetic Acid Fermentation for Aronia Vinegar using Response Surface Methodology vol.30, pp.6, 2014, https://doi.org/10.9724/kfcs.2014.30.6.792
- Towards improving the nutrition and health of the aged: the role of sprouted grains and encapsulation of bioactive compounds in functional bread - a review pp.09505423, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1111/ijfs.13934
- Quality Characteristics of Noodles Added with Aronia Powder vol.34, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.9724/kfcs.2018.34.1.68
- Effects of Different Ripening Stage and Varieties on Quality Characteristics and Antioxidant Activity of Aronia (Aronia Melaocarpa) vol.22, pp.4, 2018, https://doi.org/10.13050/foodengprog.2018.22.4.374