- Volume 43 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Quality Characteristics of Yakju (Korean Traditional Rice Wine) Added with Bamboo Ethanol Extract
대나무 알코올추출액을 첨가한 약주의 품질특성
- Jung, Gi-Tai (Jeollabuk-do Agricultural Research and Extension Services) ;
- Ryu, Jeong (Jeollabuk-do Agricultural Research and Extension Services) ;
- Ju, In-Ok (Dept. of Food Science and Technology, Chonbuk National University) ;
- Noh, Jae-Jong (Jeollabuk-do Agricultural Research and Extension Services) ;
- Kim, Jeong-Man (Jeollabuk-do Agricultural Research and Extension Services)
- Received : 2013.10.14
- Accepted : 2013.12.22
- Published : 2014.02.28
This study was carried out to develop Yakju, a new kind of Korean traditional rice wine added with bamboo ethanol extract and characterized by containing various health benefits. The wine with bamboo ethanol extract was fermented by adding ginger and pear to improve flavor and quality. Several quality characteristics and physiological functionalities of Yakju were investigated. When bamboo ethanol extract was added to Yakju, the pH level decreased compared to that of the control. However, total acidity and soluble solid levels were higher than those of the control. The alcohol content of Yakju added with bamboo ethanol extract was slightly higher than that of the control. In examining the colors of Yakju containing bamboo ethanol extract, L value was lower than that of the control, whereas b value and brownness were higher. Various organic acids such as citric acid, malic acid, succinic acid, lactic acid, and acetic acid were determined, and the main organic acid among them was lactic acid. Various free sugars such as sorbitol, glucose, and fructose were detected and glucose was the most abundant. Total polyphenol content of Yakju added with bamboo ethanol extract was lower than that of the control. Further, electron-donating ability ranged from 23.8~40.0%, which was higher than that of the control. Nitrite scavenging ability of Yakju added with bamboo ethanol extract ranged from 15.2~36.4%, which was higher than that of the control at pH 6.0. Sensory evaluation of Yakju showed that bamboo ethanol extract+ginger as well as bamboo ethanol extract+ginger+pear treatment significantly increased flavor, taste, and overall acceptance compared to the others.
Supported by : 농촌진흥청
- Chun YS. 2010. Urisul (Korean traditional liquor). Foundation of Agri. Tech. Commercialization & Transfer. Susubori academy, Suwon, Korea. p 21-27.
- Lee SJ, Kim EH, Lee HG. 2008. Development of rice wine using Cornus officinalis and Scutellaria baicalensis by antioxidant activity tests. Korean J Food Technol 40: 21-30.
- Cho SH, Choi YJ, Chi WR, Choi CY, Kim DS, Cho SH. 2008. Reactive oxygen species and cytotoxicity of bamboo (Phyllostachys pubescens) sap. Korean J Food Preserv 15: 105-110.
- Yoon BK, Chang JK. 1989. Wild plant for health. Sukoh press, Seoul, Korea. p 527.
- Seoul National University. 2003. Encyclopedia of orient medical science. Natural substance science research institute. Dowon press, Seoul, Korea. Vol 1, p 379-380.
- Lee KS, Ahn DK, Shin MK, Kim CM. 1998. Encyclopedia of Chinese medicine (appendix I). Joungdam press, Seoul, Korea. p 5026-5031.
- Kim SS. 1998. The effect of Zhugryug (Zhuli) on the isolated perfused rat heart. PhD Dissertation. Kyung Hee University, Seoul, Korea.
- Chung TH. 1982. Studies on the effects of Chooseok, Jookryeok and their compounds on the blood pressure in rats. MS Thesis. Kyung Hee University, Seoul, Korea.
- Lee CW. 1984. Astudy on the effects of Jookryeok, Jookryeok- Tang and Jookryeok-Kangjeup-Tang on antipyretic in pytexic rats. MS Thesis. Wonkwang University, Iksan, Korea.
- Park SH, Cho MR, Ryu CR, Chae WS. 2002. Effects of BCL oral adminstration and herbal acupuncture at BL18, BL19 on liver function changes induced by alcohol in the mice. J Korean Acupuncture & Moxibustion Society 19: 115-125.
- Kim NK, Cho SH, Lee SD, Ryu JS, Shim KH. 2001. Chemical properties of hot water extracts from bamboo (Phyllostachys sp.). Korean J Postharvest Sci Technol 8: 469-474.
- Kim MJ, Byun MW, Jang MS. 1996. Physiological and antibacterial activity of bamboo (Sasa coreana Nakai) leaves. J Korean Soc Food Nutr 25: 135-142.
- Kim MJ, Kwon OJ, Jang MS. 1996. Antibacterial activity of the bamboo (Pseudosasa japonica Makino) leaves extracts on lactic acid bacteria related to Dongchimi. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 25: 741-746.
- Chung DK, Yu R. 1995. Antimicrobial activity of bamboo leaves extract on microorganisms related to kimchi fermentation. Korean J Food Sci Technol 27: 1035-1038.
- Baek JW, Chung SH, Moon GS. 2002. Antimicrobial activities of ethanol extracts from Korean bamboo culms and leaves. Korean J Food Sci Technol 34: 1073-1078.
- Ju IO, Jung GT, Ryu J, Choi JS, Choi YG. 2005. Chemical components and physiological activities of bamboo (Phyllostachys bambusoides Starf) extracts prepared with different methods. Korean J Food Sci Technol 37: 542-548.
- Cho KM, Lee JB, Kahng GG, Seo WT. 2006. A study on the making of sweet persimmon (Diospyros kaki, T) wine. Korean J Food Sci Technol 38: 785-792.
- Cho KM, Ahn BY, Seo WT. 2008. Lactic acid fermentation of Gamju manufactured using medicinal herb decoction. Korean J Food Sci Technol 40: 649-655.
- Whang HJ. 1999. Changes of phenolic compounds in Korean apple (Fuji) during maturation. Korean J Food & Nutr 12: 364-369.
- Choi JS, Lee JH, Park HJ, Kim HG, Young HS, Mun SI. 1993. Screening for antioxidant activity of plants and marine algae and its active principles from Prunus davidiana. Kor J Pharmacogn 24: 299-302.
- Kim SB, Lee DH, Yeum DM, Park JW, Do JR, Park YH. 1988. Nitrite scavenging effect of maillard reaction products derived from glucose-amino acids. Korean J Food Sci Technol 20: 453-458.
- An BH, Park WS, Lee MG, Bae JH, Choi EH, Kim SJ. 1996. A study on quality improvement of traditional alcoholic beverage. Ministry for Agriculture Forestry and Fisheries, Seoul, Korea. p 51-57.
- Cho IK, Huh CK, Kim YD. 2010. Quality characteristics of yakju (a traditional Korean beverage) after addition of different tissues of Opuntia ficus indica from Shinan, Korea. Korean J Food Preserv 17: 36-41.
- Kim JY, Koh JS. 2004. Fermentation characteristics of Jeju foxtail millet-wine by isolated alcoholic yeast and saccharifying mold. J Korean Soc Appl Biol Chem 47: 85-91.
- Lee IS, Yang EJ, Jeong YJ, Seo JH. 1999. Fermentation process and physiochemical characteristics of Yakju (Korean cleared rice wine) with addition of ginseng powder. Korean J Postharvest Sci Technol 6: 463-468.
- Kim NK, Cho SH, Lee SD, Ryu JS, Shim KH. 2001. Functional properties and antimicrobial activity of bamboo (Phyllostachys sp.) extracts. Korean J Postharvest Sci Technol 8: 475-480.
- Lim JA, Na YS, Baek SH. 2004. Antioxidative activity and nitrite scavenging ability of ethanol extract from Phyllostachys bambusoides. Korean J Food Sci Technol 36: 306-310.
- Quality characteristics of Yakju at addition sprout and root of reed vol.22, pp.4, 2015, https://doi.org/10.11002/kjfp.2015.22.4.490