- Volume 43 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Night Eating Habits of Middle School Students in Gyeonggi
경기 일부지역 중학생의 야식 섭취실태
- Cho, Yu-Jin (Major in Nutrition Education, Graduate School of Education, Kongju National University) ;
- Kim, Mi-Hyun (Dept. of Food and Nutrition, Korea National University of Transportation) ;
- Kim, Myung-Hee (Div. of Food Science, Kongju National University) ;
- Choi, Mi-Kyeong (Div. of Food Science, Kongju National University)
- Received : 2013.09.23
- Accepted : 2013.12.25
- Published : 2014.02.28
The purpose of this study was to investigate the night eating habits of middle schoolers. A total of 705 middle school students residing in Gyeonggi were surveyed about their dietary habits related to night eating. Among the total subjects, 59.9% (n=422) had night eating more than once a week and were classified into a night eating group (NEG). The main reason for night eating was hunger (79.1% of NEG) and the highest proportion of night eating was related to food purchased by family (39.3% of NEG). Most of the NEG had night eating in their home with family members, and the time with highest frequency of night eating was between 10 p.m. and 11 p.m.. About 33% of the NEG went to bed within an hour after night eating and 69.2% of the NEG did not report any change after night eating. The most common factors considered when choosing a night eating menu, in order of frequency, were taste, hygiene, and amount. The favorite items on the night eating menu were frozen desserts, fresh fruits, chicken, fruit juice, Ramen, pizza, and Jajangmyeon. The most frequent menu choices were fresh fruits, frozen desserts, Ramen, chicken, yogurt, and fruit juice. The NEG had higher scores for picky eating (P<0.01), overeating (P<0.01), salty eating (P<0.01), and irregular meal times (P<0.001) compared to the non-NEG. Consequently, the NEG had more dietary problems than the non-NEG and their night eating behaviors were related to family habits. Night eating was mainly dominated by a diet of carbohydrates and fats, and the intake frequency and preference for foods with low nutritional value were high; thus, a practical and systematical nutrition education is required. Seasonal and comparative studies on night eating status according to various times and amounts of night eating are also required.
- Kim HS. 2008. Research on the purchasing behaviors of high school students according to their knowledge of nutrition. MS Thesis. Sookmyung Women's University, Seoul, Korea. p 7.
- Baek SA. 2008. A study on eating behavior of students of girl's high school among weight groups in Taean area of Chungnam province. MS Thesis. Kongju National University, Yesan, Korea.
- Kim OS, Kwon SY, Ryu HS. 2005. The study of dietary patterns according to body mass index in middle school students in Seoul area. J Korean Diet Assoc 12: 342-349.
- Kim MH, Jeong ES, Kim EJ, Cho HK, Bae YJ, Choi MK. 2011. Night eating status of university students in partial area of Chungnam. J East Asian Soc Dietary Life 21: 563-576.
- Kang HW, Lee SS. 2006. A study on weight control and dietary life among middle school students: nutrients knowledge, dietary behavior and food frequency. Korean J Nutr 39: 817-831.
- Han JN. 2007. A study on indication of food nutrition and reality on consuming snacks by middle school students. MS Thesis. Daegu Haany University, Gyeongsan, Korea.
- Kim EJ. 2010. Late-night snack consumption among high school students in Cheong-ju. MS Thesis. Chungbuk National University, Cheongju, Korea.
- Lee EK. 2009. Dietary characteristics and dietary patterns of the snack takers after evening meal: the 2005 Korean National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. MS Thesis. Chungnam National University, Daejon, Korea.
- Stunkard AJ, Berkowitz R, Wadden Y, Tanrikut C, Reiss E, Young L. 1996. Binge eating disorder and the night-eating syndrome. Int Obes Relat Meta Disord 20: 1-6.
- Ceru-Bjork C, Andersson I, Rossner S. 2001. Night eating and nocturnal eating-two different or similar syndromes among obese patients? Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 25: 365-372. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.ijo.0801552
- Cleator J, Abbott J, Judd P, Wilding JPH, Sutton CJ. 2013. Correlations between night eating, sleep quality, and excessive daytime sleepiness in a severely obese UK population. Sleep Medicine 14: 1151-1156. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sleep.2013.04.026
- Seo JY. 2008. A study on adolescents' between meals consumption based on middle school students in Goyang-si, Gyeonggi-do. MS Thesis. Ewha Womans University, Seoul, Korea.
- Baek NS. 2010. Life style, food habits and snack intake behaviors of middle school students in Ulsan. MS Thesis. University of Ulsan, Ulsan, Korea.
- Kim KJ, Lee WJ, Lee SJ, Ann NY, Oh HR, Sin Yj, Park JS. 2005. Health status and life style including diet, exercise, and daily activities in obese adults. J Kor Sports Med 23: 54-63.
- Cho EA. 2010. A study on the snack consumption of middle and high school students: focused on Siheung si, Gyeounggi do. MS Thesis. Sunchon National University, Suncheon, Korea.
- Jo JI, Kim HK. 2008. Food habits and eating snack behaviors of middle school students in Ulsan area. Korean J Nutr 41: 797-807.
- Jin YH. 2001. The study on dietary habits, dietary behaviors and nutrition knowledge of middle school students in the small city. J Korean Diet Assoc 7: 320-330.
- Kim MY. 2002. Study on the preference and purchasing behavior of housewives with growing youths to processed foods. MS Thesis. Chung-Ang University, Seoul, Korea.
- Park HY, Kim KN. 1995. Relationships among snacks, unbalanced diet, and eating behavior of middle school students. J Korean Home Econ Educ Assoc 7: 80-81.
- Park SI, Bae SY. 1999. A study on elementary students' milk intake at home and school in Seoul area. Korean J Dietary Culture 14: 361-369.
- Jin HS. 1999. Functional properties of milk. Korean J Dairy Sci Technol 17: 50-57.
- Birketvedt GS, Sundsfjord J, Florholmen JR. 2001. Hypothalamic- pituitary-adrenal axis in the night eating syndrome. Am J Physiol 282: 657-663.
- Marshall HM, Allison KC, O'Reardon JP, Birketvedt G, Stunkard AJ. 2004. Night eating syndrome among non obese persons. Int J Eat Disord 35: 217-222. https://doi.org/10.1002/eat.10241
- Yu OK, Park SH, Cha YS. 2007. Eating habits, eating behaviors and nutrition knowledge of higher grade elementary school students in Jeonju area. Korean J Food Culture 22: 665-672.
- Her ES, Lee KH, Jang DS, Lee KY, Lee JH, Ju J, Yoon SY. 1999. A study food habits, food behaviors and nutrition knowledge among obese children in Changwon (I). J Korean Diet Assoc 5: 153-163.
- Cho HS, Choi MK. 2010. A study on body image and dietary habits by the body mass index of middle school students in Chungnam. Korean J Food & Nutr 23: 368-375.
- Kim HK, Kim JH. 2005. Dietary behavior and obesity prevalence among middle-school students in Ulsan area. Int J Human Ecology 6: 49-64.
- Evaluation of nutrient intake and food variety by age in Korean adolescents: Based on 2010~2012 Korean National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey vol.48, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4163/jnh.2015.48.3.236
- Nutritional aspects of night eating and its association with weight status among Korean adolescents vol.10, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4162/nrp.2016.10.4.448
- Dietary Habit Survey of Preschool Children in Uiwang-si, Gyeonggi-do vol.27, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.17495/easdl.2017.2.27.1.29
- The Dietary and Late-night eating Behavior according to Residence Type of University Students in Daejeon vol.23, pp.4, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5934/kjhe.2014.23.4.721