- Volume 43 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Study on Consumption Patterns and Degree of Checking Food-Nutrition Labeling of Convenience Foods at Convenience Stores by Young Adult Workers in Busan
부산 거주 20대·30대 직장인의 편의점 편의식 이용 및 식품영양표시 확인 정도
- Han, Min-Hye (Dept. of Food Science & Nutrition, Pukyong National University) ;
- Choi, Ki-Bo (Dept. of Food Science & Nutrition, Pukyong National University) ;
- Lyu, Eun-Soon (Dept. of Food Science & Nutrition, Pukyong National University)
- Received : 2013.11.11
- Accepted : 2014.01.11
- Published : 2014.02.28
The purpose of this study was to investigate convenience foods at convenience stores, by examining consumption patterns, as well as the degree of checking food-nutrition labeling. In this study, 208 workers in Busan in their 20s or 30s were surveyed using 1:1 interview questionnaires. The weekly usage frequencies of cup-ramyeon, gimbap, ramyeon, and sandwiches were 41.0%, 39.4%, 32.7%, and 19.0% respectively. The usage frequency of convenience foods was 12.0% for 'over 5 times/week', 23.0% for '3~4 times/week', 31.7% for '1~2 times/week', 29.8% for '1~2 times/month', and 3.4% for zero usage. Workers in their 20s showed a significantly (P<0.05) higher rate in the '3~4 times/week' as well as '1~2 times/week' intervals than workers in their 30s. Single people showed a significantly (P<0.01) higher rate than married people. Workers in their 20s showed a significantly higher score for the '3~4 times/week' as well as '1~2 times/week' intervals (P<0.05). The mean score of checking food labeling was 4.02/5.00 for the manufacturer's date, or expiration date, 3.23/5.00 for weight or volume, 2.99/5.00 for cooking method, and 2.85/5.00 for storage method. Females showed significantly (P<0.01) higher rates for checking the manufacturer's date or expiration date, as well as source of the raw material. Single workers showed significantly (P<0.01) higher rates for checking the manufacture's or expiration date as well as storage method. The mean score for checking nutrition labeling was 3.06/5.00 for calories, 2.84/5.00 for trans fat, 2.80/5.00 for sodium, and 2.76/5.00 for cholesterol. Females showed a significantly (P<0.01) higher rate for six of 10 items. Workers in their 20s showed a significantly (P<0.05) higher rate for four of 10 items. Expert officials showed significantly higher rate for six of 10 items (P<0.05) and two of 10 items (P<0.01), respectively.
Supported by : 부경대학교
- LGERI. 2011. Value and lifestyle of 20s in Korea. LG Business Insight 1158: 17-31.
- LGERI. 2012. The value and lifestyle of Koreans at their 30s leading the culture and consumption. LG Business Insight 1201: 2-13.
- Song HS. 2009. Leisure-related consumption patterns of male working class in their 20s and 30s. MS Thesis. Ewha Womans University, Seoul, Korea. p 1-2.
- Kim ES, Jung BM, Chun HJ. 2001. The survey of meal habits for the urban salaried workers. Korean J Soc Food & Cookery Sci 17: 91-104.
- Choi MK, Kim JM, Kim JG. 2003. A study on the dietary habit and health of office workers in Seoul. Korean J Food Culture 18: 45-55.
- Lee JS. 2007. A comparative study on fast food consumption patterns classified by age in Busan. Korean J Community Nutr 12: 534-544.
- Kim JY, Song HJ, Park SS. 2005. Segmentation of the home meal replacement (HMR) market by lifestyle: the case of S department store in Kang-Nam, Seoul. J Foodservice Management 8: 137-154.
- Korea Association of Convenience Stores. 2011. CVS composition of store/ statistics-operation period (annual operation) Available from http://cvs.or.kr/kacs.php?mode=c1& cate=3/16.
- Seo KA, Song JE, Han JS. 1993. A study on the pattern of shopping, the level of customers cognition and the level of satisfaction for foods sold in "24-hour market store" in Taegu city. J East Asian Soc Dietary Life 3: 73-81.
- Im JB, Seo BS, Lee HG, Chang UK. 1990. Life style and dietary pattern. J Korean Home Econ Assoc 28: 33-50.
- Moon SJ, Yoon HJ, Kim JH, Lee YJ. 1998. A study on the perception and consumption pattern of convenience foods by Korean college students. Korean J Food Culture 13: 227-239.
- Kim KH. 2003. A study of the dietary habits, the nutritional knowledge and the consumption patterns of convenience foods of university students in the Gwangju area. Korean J Community Nutr 8: 181-191.
- Lim YS, Park HR, Han GJ. 2005. Comparison of preference for convenience and dietary attitude in college students by sex in Seoul and Kyunggi-do area. J Korean Diet Assoc 11: 11-20.
- Lee HJ. 2008. A study on necessity of nutritional education and food additives used for convenience foods. MS Thesis. University of Ulsan, Ulsan, Korea. p 25-41.
- Jung YH, Ko SJ, Lim HJ. 2010. The socioeconomic cost of adolescent obesity. Health and Social Welfare Review 30: 195-219. https://doi.org/10.15709/hswr.2010.30.1.195
- Guthrie JF, Fox JJ, Cleveland LE, Welsh S. 1995. Who uses nutritional labeling and what effects does label use have on diet quality? J Nutr Edu 27: 163-172. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-3182(12)80422-5
- Kim SY, Nayga RM, Capps O. 2001. Food label use, self selectivity, and diet quality. J Consum Aff 35: 346-363. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1745-6606.2001.tb00118.x
- Perez-Escamilla R, Haldeman R. 2002. Food label use modifies association of income with dietary quality. Korean J Nutr 35: 346-363.
- Choi MS. 2008. Investigation of salt intake recognition and dietary habits focus on university students. MS Thesis. Yonsei University, Seoul, Korea. p 2-3.
- Chung EJ, Shim EG. 2008. Salt-related dietary behaviors and sodium intakes of university students in Gyeonggi-do. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 37: 578-588. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2008.37.5.578
- Lee SS, Park KY. 1995. A study on the actual condition and the satisfaction of consumers using convenience store. The Academic J Kon-Kuk University 39: 353-369.
- Lee KJ, Lee YH. 2004. Consumer's recognition and using state about food-nutrition labeling system among twenties. J East Asian Soc Dietary Life 14: 54-63.
- Cho SH, Yu HH. 2007. Nutrition knowledge, dietary attitudes, dietary habits and awareness of food-nutrition labelling by girl's high school students. Korean J Community Nutr 12: 519-533.
- Lee HY, Kim MK. 2008. Dietary behavioral correlates of nutrition label use in Korean women. Korean J Nutr 41: 839-850.
- Korea Food & Drug Administration. 2010. Food Code. Seoul, Korea. p 218.
- Trend monitor. 2011. CVS home meal replacement U&A survey. Research Report. Available from http://www.trend monitor.co.kr/html/01_trend/01_korea_view.asp?IDX=755 &period=&TopSearchList=&TopSearchText=convenience store & LeftCategory=&GotoPage=1. p 2-35.
- Kim YJ, Jeon ER, Yoo MJ, Jung LH. 2012. Perception and utilization of food labeling system of middle school students in Gwangju. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 41: 796-806. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2012.41.6.796
- Ahn SJ. 1989. A study on images and consumption about instant food of homemakers in Kyung-ki do area. Korean J Food Culture 5: 75-90.
- Kwon KI, Yoon SW, Kim SJ, Kang HN, Kim HN, Kim JY, Kim SY, Kim KL, Lee JH, Jung SM, Ock SW, Lee EJ, Kim JW, Kim MC, Park HK. 2010. A survey on customers' perceptions of nutrition labeling for processed food and restaurant meal. Korean J Nutr 43: 181-188. https://doi.org/10.4163/kjn.2010.43.2.181
- Neuhouser ML, Kristal AR, Pattersom RE. 1999. Use of food nutrition labels is associated with lower fat intake. J Am Diet Assoc 99: 45-53. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0002-8223(99)00013-9
- Dietary Habits and Perception Toward Food Additives according to the Frequency of Consumption of Convenience Food at Convenience Stores among University Students in Cheongju vol.21, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5720/kjcn.2016.21.2.140
- Importance and performance of food and nutrition labeling for school adolescents in Seoul vol.50, pp.4, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4163/jnh.2017.50.4.383
- Study on Importance-Performance Analysis Regarding Selection Attributes of Rice-Convenience Foods vol.45, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2016.45.4.593
- Effect of Roasting on Particle Size, Water-holding Capacity, and Viscosity of Cereal-based Sunsik vol.30, pp.5, 2014, https://doi.org/10.9724/kfcs.2014.30.5.526
- A Study on Utilization of Processed Foods and Recognition of Food Labels among University Students vol.28, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.9799/ksfan.2015.28.1.024
- Importance-Satisfaction Analysis of Selection Attributes and Consumer Demand for the Development of Healthy Premium Gimbap vol.34, pp.2, 2018, https://doi.org/10.9724/kfcs.2018.34.2.201