- Volume 43 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Selection of Lactic Acid Bacteria with Antibacterial Activity for Extension of Kimchi Shelf-life
김치의 저장성 향상을 위한 항균활성 우수 유산균 선발
- Choi, Hak-Jong (Emerging Technology Research Group, World Institute of Kimchi) ;
- Kim, Yu Jin (Emerging Technology Research Group, World Institute of Kimchi) ;
- Lee, Na Ra (Emerging Technology Research Group, World Institute of Kimchi) ;
- Park, Hae Woong (Emerging Technology Research Group, World Institute of Kimchi) ;
- Jang, Ja Young (Emerging Technology Research Group, World Institute of Kimchi) ;
- Park, Sung-Hee (Emerging Technology Research Group, World Institute of Kimchi) ;
- Kang, Miran (Emerging Technology Research Group, World Institute of Kimchi) ;
- Kim, Hyun Ju (Emerging Technology Research Group, World Institute of Kimchi) ;
- Lee, Jong-Hee (Emerging Technology Research Group, World Institute of Kimchi) ;
- Lee, Jong-Hoon (Dept. of Food Science and Biotechnology, Kyonggi University) ;
- Pyun, Yu-Ryang (R&D Div., Biovan Co.) ;
- Kim, Tae-Woon (Emerging Technology Research Group, World Institute of Kimchi)
- 최학종 (세계김치연구소 미래기술연구단) ;
- 김유진 (세계김치연구소 미래기술연구단) ;
- 이나라 (세계김치연구소 미래기술연구단) ;
- 박해웅 (세계김치연구소 미래기술연구단) ;
- 장자영 (세계김치연구소 미래기술연구단) ;
- 박성희 (세계김치연구소 미래기술연구단) ;
- 강미란 (세계김치연구소 미래기술연구단) ;
- 김현주 (세계김치연구소 미래기술연구단) ;
- 이종희 (세계김치연구소 미래기술연구단) ;
- 이종훈 (경기대학교 식품생물공학과) ;
- 변유량 ((주)바이오벤) ;
- 김태운 (세계김치연구소 미래기술연구단)
- Received : 2013.07.25
- Accepted : 2014.01.06
- Published : 2014.02.28
A survey was conducted on the isolation of lactic acid bacteria with antibacterial activity to extend kimchi shelf-life. Antibacterial activity was tested against bacteria associated with acidification of kimchi, including Lactobacillus plantarum, Pediococcus pentosaceus, and Lactobacillus sakei, using agar-well diffusion assay. Two isolates from kimchi were identified as Lactococcus lactis subsp. lactis and Lactobacillus brevis by 16S rRNA gene sequence analysis and API 50 CHL assay, and they showed antibacterial effects against indicator strains. The isolates displayed acid tolerance at pH 3.5, salt tolerance in 5% NaCl, and growth at
Supported by : 농림축산식품부
- Lee CW, Ko CY, Ha DM. 1992. Microbial changes of the lactic acid bacteria during Kimchi fermentation and identification of the isolates. Korean J Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 20: 102-109.
- Lim CR, Park HK, Han HU. 1989. Reevaluation of isolation and identification of gram-positive bacteria in Kimchi. Korean J Microbiol 27: 404-414.
- Mheen TI, Kwon TW. 1984. Effect of temperature and salt concentration on Kimchi fermentation. Korean J Food Sci Technol 16: 443-450.
- So MH, Kim YB. 1995. Identification of psychrotrophic lactic acid bacteria isolated from Kimchi. Korean J Food Sci Technol 27: 495-505.
- Park JG, Kim JH, Park JN, Kim YD, Kim WG, Lee JW, Hwang HJ, Byun MW. 2008. The effect of irradiation temperature on the quality improvement of Kimchi, Korean fermented vegetables, for its shelf stability. Radiat Phys Chem 77: 497-502. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.radphyschem.2007.08.005
- Shon KH, Lee HJ. 1998. Effect of high pressure treatment on the quality and storage of kimchi. Int J Food Sci Technol 33: 359-365. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2621.1998.00138.x
Han JS, Kang J. 2004. Retardation of Kimchi fermentation by addition of glucono-
$\delta$-lacton. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 33: 553-559. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2004.33.3.553
- Kim DH, Hahn YS. 2003. Effect of addition of ethanol and organic acids on the quality of Mul-kimchi. J East Asian Soc Dietary Life 13: 305-312.
- Kim YH, Kim HZ, Kim JY, Choi TB, Kang SM. 2005. Strain improvement of Leuconostoc mesenteroides as a acidresistant mutant and effect on Kimchi fermentation as a starter. Korean J Appl Microbiol 33: 41-50.
- Moon GS, Kang CH, Pyun YR, Kim WJ. 2004. Isolation, identification, and characterization of a bacteriocin-producing Enterococcus sp. from Kimchi and its application to Kimchi fermentation. J Microbiol Biotechnol 14: 924-931.
- Chang JY, Chang HC. 2010. Improvement in the quality and shelf life of Kimchi by fermentation with the induced bacteriocin-producing strain, Leuconostoc citreum GJ7 as a starter. J Food Sci 75: M103-M110.
- Lee KH, Lee JH. 2011. Isolation of Leuconostoc and Weissella species inhibiting the growth of Lactobacillus sakei from Kimchi. Korean J Microbiol Biotechnol 39: 175-181.
- Holder IA, Boyce ST. 1994. Agar well diffusion assay testing of bacterial susceptibility to various antimicrobials in concentrations non-toxic for human cells in culture. Burns 20: 426-429. https://doi.org/10.1016/0305-4179(94)90035-3
- Lane DJ. 1991. 16S-23S rRNA sequencing. In Nucleic Acid Techniques in Bacterial Systematics. Stackebrandt E, Goodfellow M, eds. Wiley, New York, NY, USA. p 115-175.
- Park SH, Yang S, Lee JH, Kang M. 2013. Selection of phytate- degrading lactic acid bacteria from Kimchi and reaction properties in brown rice. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 42: 627-632. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2013.42.4.627
Cho YR, Chang JY, Chang HC. 2007. Production of
$\gamma$-aminobutyric acid (GABA) by Lactobacillus buchneri isolated from Kimchi and its neuroprotective effect on neuronal cells. J Microbiol Biotechnol 17: 104-109.
- Taylor TM, Davidson PM, Zhong Q. 2007. Extraction of nisin from a 2.5% commercial nisin product using methanol and ethanol solutions. J Food Prot 70: 1272-1276. https://doi.org/10.4315/0362-028X-70.5.1272
- Park H, Khang Y. 2010. Simple and rapid extraction of a bacteriocin produced by Streptococcus parauberis Z49 from fermented cultures. Korean J Microbiology 46: 291-295.
- Chang JY, Choi YR, Chang HC. 2011. Change in the microbial profiles of commercial Kimchi during fermentation. Korean J Food Preserv 18: 786-794. https://doi.org/10.11002/kjfp.2011.18.5.786
- Extending the shelf life of kimchi with Lactococcus lactis strain as a starter culture vol.24, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10068-015-0134-8