- Volume 27 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Analytical Study on Effect of Floor Slab for Progressive Collapse Resistant Capacity of Steel Moment Frames
철골모멘트골조의 연쇄붕괴저항성능에 대한 바닥슬래브의 효과에 관한 해석적 연구
- Kim, Seonwoong (Daewoo Institute of Construction and Technology)
- 김선웅 (대우건설 기술연구원)
- Received : 2013.11.15
- Accepted : 2014.02.05
- Published : 2014.02.28
In this study, an improved energy-based nonlinear static analysis method are proposed to be used for more accurate evaluation of progressive collapse potential of steel moment frames by reflecting the contribution of a double-span floor slab. To this end, the behavior of the double-span floor slab was first investigated by performing material and geometric nonlinear finite element analysis. A simplified energy-absorbed analytical model by idealizing the deformed shape of the double-span floor slab was developed. It is shown that the proposed model can easily be utilized for modeling the axial tensile force and strain energy response of the double-span floor slab under the column-removal scenario.
- Dat, P.X., Hai, T.K. (2011) Membrane Actions of RC Slabs in Mitigating Progressive Collapse of Building Structures, Engineering Structures. (In Press)
- American Concrete Institute (ACI) (2002) Building Code Requirements for Structural Concrete (ACI 318-02) and Commentary (ACIR-02), ACI, Farmington Hills, MI.
- Architectural Institute of Korea (AIK) (2009) Korean Building Code and Commentary, AIK.
- Astaneh-Asl, A., Madsen, E.A., Noble, C., Jung, R., McCallen, D.B., Hoehler, M.S., Li, W., Hwa, R. (2001) Use of Catenary Cables to Prevent Progressive Collapse of Buildings: UCB/ CEE-STEEL-2001/02, University of California at Berkeley.
- HKS (2006) ABAQUS/Explicit User's Manual version 6.6, Hibbit, Karlsson and Sorensen, Inc., Pawtucket, RI.
- Iwankiw, N., Zoruba, S. (2002) Steel Moment Frames: Resolution of Recent Seismic Detailing and Material Shape Issues, Journal of Constructional Steel Research, 58(5), pp.495-510. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0143-974X(01)00080-3
- Izzuddin, B.A., Vlassis, A.G., Elghazouli, A.Y. (2008) Progressive Collapse of Multi-storey Buildings Due to Sudden Column Loss-Part I: Simplified Assessment Frame Work, Engineering Structures, 30(5), pp.1308-1318. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2007.07.011
- Johansen, K.W. (1962) Yield-Line Theory, English Translation Published by Cement and Concrete Association, London, p.181.
- Khandelwal, K., El-Tawil, S. (2007) Collapse Behavior of Steel Moment Resisting Frame Connections, Journal of Structural Engineering, 133(5), pp.646-655. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2007)133:5(646)
- Kim, K.D., Hui, C.. Kim, J.H.. Yoon, M.H.. Lee, M.J.. Moon, T.S.. Kim, G.S.. Kim, D.J.. Kim, D.K.. (1996) An Experimental Study on the Structural Behavior of the Composite Slabs with the Composite Metal Deckplate, Proceedings of Architectural Institute of Korea Conference, 16, pp.391-396.
- Lee, C.H., Kim, S., Han, K.H., Lee, K. (2009) Simplified Nonlinear Progressive Collapse Analysis of Welded Steel Moment Frames, Journal of Constructional Steel Research, 65, pp.1130-1137. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2008.10.008
- Main, J.A. Sadek, F., Lew, H.S. (2009) Assessmennt of Robustness and Disproportinate Collapse Vulnerability of Steel Moment Frame Buildings, Proceedings of PROTECT 2009, Hayama, Japan.
- Powell, G. (2004) Progressive Collapse: Case Studies using Nonlinear Analysis, Proceedings of 2004 SEAOC Annual Convention, Structural Engineers Association of Northern California, Monterrey, Calif..
- U.S. Department of Defense (DoD) (2009) Unified Facilities Criteria (UFC): Design of Buildings to Resist Progresssive Collapse: UFC 4-023-03, DoD, Washington (DC).
- U.S. Gerneral Services Administration (GSA) (2003) Progressive Collapse Analysis and Design Guidelines for New Federal Office Buildings and Major Modernization Projects, GSA, Washington (DC).