- Volume 27 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Experimental Study and Evaluation of Tension Stiffening Model in High Strength Concrete Beams
고강도 콘크리트 보에서 Tension Stiffening 모델을 이용한 실험적 연구 및 평가
- Shin, Dae Hwan (Department of Architectural Engineering, Kyunghee University) ;
- Jo, Eunsun (Department of Architectural Engineering, Kyunghee University) ;
- Kim, Min Sook (Department of Architectural Engineering, Kyunghee University) ;
- Kim, Heechuel (Department of Architectural Engineering, Kyunghee University) ;
- Lee, Young Hak (Department of Architectural Engineering, Kyunghee University)
- Received : 2014.02.01
- Accepted : 2014.02.11
- Published : 2014.02.28
In strength limit states design, it is assumed that after cracking, reinforcement carries all tension in the tension zone of reinforced concrete members. However, it can be seen the concrete between cracks will contribute to carrying a part of the tension stress in actual concrete members particularly at service load levels, this effect is referred as tension stiffening effect. In this study, tension stiffening models and high strength concrete beam flexural test results were verified through comparison. The relationship between moment-curvature and load-deflection was evaluated by result of tension stiffening model and test result values. The analysis results showed that ACI 318 and Owen & Damjanic generally shows good agreement.
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- ACI Committee 318-11 (2011) Building Code Requirements for Reinforced Concrete(ACI 318-11) and Commentary, American Concrete Institute, Farmington Hills.
- Branson, B.E. (1963) Instantaneous and Time-Dependent Deflections of Simple and Continuous Reinforced Concrete Beams, Alabama Highway Department, Bureau of public roads, HPR Publication 7, pp.1-78.
- British Standard Committee (1997) British Standard Code: Design of Concrete Structures (BS 8110-1: 1997), British Standards.
- Choi, B.S. (1998) Variability of Reinforced Concrete Beam Deflections, PhD Thesis, The Pennsylvania State University, USA.
- Lee, B.H., Hong, C.W., Chang, D.I. (1998) Failure Behavior and Tension Stiffening of RC Tension Members, J. Korean Soc. Civ. Eng., 18(3-3), pp.483-494.
- Choi, S.W., Yang, J.H., Kim, W. (2010) Influence of Tension Stiffening Effect on Delfection and Crack Width in RC Members, KCI Concrete Journal, 22(6), pp.761-768.
- Comite Euro-International du Beton (CEB) (1993) CEB-FIP Model Code 1990, Thomas Telford, London.
- Damjanic, F., Hinton, E., Owen, D.R.J., Bicanic. N., Simovic, V. (1984) Proceedings of the International Concrete on Computer-Aided Analysis and Design of Concrete Structures Part I.Pineridge Press, Swansea, U.K, pp.693-706.
- Lee, J.C. (2003) Comparative Study of Tension Stiffening Models in Reinforced Concrete Beams, Thesis, The Pennsylvania State University, USA.
- Lee, S.B., Jang, S.Y., Kim, S.S., Lee, J.S. (2005) Experimental Evaluation of Effective Flexural Rigidity in Reinforced Concrete Beams Considering Tension Stiffening Effect, KCI Concrete Journal, 17(6), pp.1033-1042. https://doi.org/10.4334/JKCI.2005.17.6.1033
- Lin, C.S., Scordelis, A.C. (1975) Nonlinear Analysis of RC Shell of General Form, Journal of the Structural Division, ASCE, ST3, pp.523-538.
- Murashev, V.E. (1940) Theory of Appearance and Opening of Cracks, Computation of Rigidity of Reinforced Concrete Members, Stroitelnaya Promishlenost, Moscow.
- Noh, S.Y., Kim, Y.R., Jung, J.C. (2012) Effective Moment of Inertia in Reinforced Concrete Beams based on the Moment-deflection Relation, Architectural Research, 28(10), pp.3-10.
- Scanlon, A. (1972) Time Dependent Deflections of Reinforced Concrete Slabs, PhD Thesis, University of Alberta, Canada.
- The Mathworks (2011) MATLAB Version 7.12(The Language of Technical Computing) User's Manual, The Mathworks.
- Yoon. S.H., Kim, J.S., Yum, H.S., Kim, W. (1998) Tension Stiffening Effect of High Strength Concrete, KCI Concrete Journal, 10(2), pp.495-500.