- Volume 28 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Comparative Study between Results of Theoretical Calculation and Model Test for Performance Confirmation of "Crown Duct"
Lee, Kwi-Joo;An, Jung-Sun;Kwak, Han-Joung
- Received : 2013.07.19
- Accepted : 2014.02.13
- Published : 2014.02.28
Chosun University, in cooperation with SPP shipyard, has developed an energy saving device based on a new concept: "Crown Duct." Crown Duct is composed of a semi-duct with short struts inside and outside the duct. Theoretical calculations for two different designs were carried out using the CFD code "Ship Flow." The design selected from these two different forms by the CFD code analysis was tested in a towing tank at SSPA. The results showed about 4% efficiency gain under a full-load condition and about 7% gain under a ballast condition in the towing tank test.
Energy-saving device;Stator;Dual functioned energy saving device;Crown duct
- Asaumi. T., Ikeda. T., Tamashima. M., Shinohara. H., 2006. Effectiveness of an Energy Saving Device 'Friend Fin', Conference Proceedings. The Japan Society of Naval Architecture and Ocean Engineering, 3, 261-264.
- Lare, T.G., Jensen, S.R., 2011. Chosun 50K Tanker with Crown Duct. The Model Test Report of SSPA.
- Lee, J.T., Kim, M.C., Suh, J.C., Kim, S.H., Choi, J.K., 1992. Development of a Preswirl Stator-Propeller System for Improvement of Propulsion Efficiency : a Symmetric Stator Propulsion System. Transactions of the Society of Naval Architects of Korea, 29(4), 132-145.
- Lee, J.T., Kim, M.C., Van, S.H., Kim, K.S., Kim, H.C., 1994. Development of a Preswirl Stator Propulsion System for a 300K VLCC. Transactions of the Society of Naval Architects of Korea, 31(1), 1-13.
- Lee, K.J., An, J.S., 2012. Development of Complex Energy Saving Device. Journal of Ocean Engineering and Technology, 26(3), 1-5. https://doi.org/10.5574/KSOE.2012.26.3.001
- Lee, K.J, An, J.S. Yang, S.H., Park, H.J., Lim, Y.J., 2012a. Development of own Energy-Saving Device for SPP. The Research Report of Chosun University.
- Lee, K.J, An, J.S., Yang, S.H., 2012b. A study on the Development of Energy-Saving Device 'Crown Duct'. Jornal of Ocean Engineers and Technology, 26(5), 1-4. https://doi.org/10.5574/KSOE.2012.26.5.001
Supported by : Chosun University