- Volume 28 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Two-Dimensional Particle Simulation for Behaviors of Floating Body near Quaywall during Tsunami
지진해일 중 해안안벽 주변의 부유체 거동에 관한 2차원 입자법 시뮬레이션
- Received : 2013.09.03
- Accepted : 2014.02.13
- Published : 2014.02.28
Tsunamis are ocean waves generated by movements of the Earth's crust. Several geophysical events can lead to this kind of catastrophe: earthquakes, landslides, volcanic eruptions, and other mechanisms such as underwater explosions. Most of the damage associated with tsunamis are related to their run-up onto the shoreline. Therefore, effectively predicting the run-up process is an important aspect of any seismic sea wave mitigation effort. In this paper, a numerical simulation of the behaviors of a floating body near a quaywall during a tsunami is conducted by using a particle method. First, a solitary wave traveling over shallow water with a slope is numerically simulated, and the results are compared with experiments and other numerical results. Then, the behaviors of floating bodies with different drafts are investigated numerically.
MPS(Moving particle simulation) method;Numerical wave tank;Wave run-up;Solitary wave;Floating body
- Camfield, F.E., Street, R.L., 1969. Shoaling of Solitary Waves on Small Slopes. Journal of the Waterways and Horbors Division, 95-1, 1-22.
- Dilts, G.A., 2000. Moving Least-squares Particle Hydrodynamics II: Conservation and Boundaries. International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering, 48-10, 1503-1524. https://doi.org/10.1002/1097-0207(20000810)48:10<1503::AID-NME832>3.0.CO;2-D
- Gotoh, H., Ikari, I., Memita, T., Sakai, T., 2005. Lagrangian Particle Method for Simulation of Wave Overtopping on a Vertical Seawall. Coastal Engineering, 47, 157-181. https://doi.org/10.1142/S0578563405001239
- Hall, J.V., Watts, J.W., 1953. Laboratory Investigation of the Vertical Rise of Solitary Waves on Impermeable Slopes. Army Coastal Engineering Reserach Center Washington D.C.
- Hirt, C.W., Nichols, B.D., 1981. Volume of Fluid(VOF) Method for the Dynamics of Free Boundaries. Journal of Computational Physics, 39, 201-225. https://doi.org/10.1016/0021-9991(81)90145-5
- Hughes, S.A., 1993. Physical Models and Laboratory Techniques in Coastal Engineering. Wold Scientific.
- Jeong, S.-M., Nam, J.-W., Hwang, S.-C., Park, J.-C., Kim, M.-H., 2013. Numerical Prediction of Oil Amount Leaked from a Damaged Tank Using Two-dimensional Moving Particle Simulation Method. Ocean Engineering, 69, 70-78. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.oceaneng.2013.05.009
- Kawasaki K., 1999. Numerical Simulation of Breaking and Post-breaking Wave Deformation Process around a Submerged Breakwater. Coastal Engineering Journal., 41, 201-223 https://doi.org/10.1142/S0578563499000139
- Khayyer, A., Gotoh, H., 2011. Enhancement of Sstability and Accuracy of the Moving Particle Semi-implicit Method. Journal of Computational Physics, 230, 3093-3118. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcp.2011.01.009
- Kim, S.K., Liu, P.L-F., Liggett, J.A., 1983. Boundary Integral Equation Solutions for Solitary Wave Generation Propagation and Run-up. Coastal Engineering, 7, 299-317. https://doi.org/10.1016/0378-3839(83)90001-7
- Korea Meteorological Administration (KMA), 2013. Earthquake Trend in korea. [Online] (Updated January 2013) Available at: (http://www.kma.go.kr/weather/earthquake/domestictrend.jsp) [Accessed August 2013] (in Korean)
- Koshizuka, S., Oka, Y., 1996. Moving-particle Semi-implicit Method for Fragmentation of Incompressible Fluid. Nuclear Science and Engineering, 123, 421-434.
- Lee, H.-J., 2011. Economic and Social Engineering Study of the Tsunami Disaster. Magazine of Korean Society of Coastal and Ocean Engineers, 9(2), 26-36. (in Korean)
- Korea Institute of Nuclear Safety (KINS), 2011. 2011 Nuclear Safety Yearbook. [Online] (Updated April 2012) Available at: (http://www.kins.re.kr/) [Accessed August 2013] (in Korean)
- Lee, B.-H., Park, J.-C., Kim, M.-H., Hwang, S.-C., 2011. Step-by-step Improvement of MPS Method in Simulation Violent Free-surface Motions and Impact-loads. Computer Modeling in Engineering and Sciences, 200, 1113-1125.
- Lee, B.-H., Jeong, S.-M., Hwang, S.-C., Park, J.-C., Kim, H.-H., 2013. A Particle Simulation of 2-D Vessel Motions Interacting with Liquid-Sloshing Cargo. Computer Modeling in Engineering and Science, 91(1), 43-63.
- Li, Y., Raichlen, F., 2001. Solitary Wave Run-up on Plane Slopes. Journal of Waterway Port, Coastal and Ocean Engineering, 1277, 33-44.
- Lin, P.Z., Liu, L.-F., 1998. A Numerical Study of Breaking Waves in the Surf Zone, Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 359, 239-264. https://doi.org/10.1017/S002211209700846X
- Masuda, M., Masuda, K., Ikoma, T., Maeda, H., Kobayashi, A., 2009. A Study on Analysis of Tsunami-induced Behaviors of a Floating Structure Using the 2-D MPS Method. Journal of Japan Society of Naval Architects and Ocean Engineers, 9, 37-44. https://doi.org/10.2534/jjasnaoe.9.37
- Monaghan, J.J., 1988. An Introduction to SPH. Computer Physics Communications, 48, 89-96. https://doi.org/10.1016/0010-4655(88)90026-4
- Monaghan, J.J., Kos, A., 1999. Solitary Waves on a Cretan Beach. Journal of Waterway, Port, Coastal and Ocean Engineering, 125, 145-154. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-950X(1999)125:3(145)
- Nam, H.K., Ko, H.S., 2008. Numerical Simulation on Solitary Wave Propagation and Run-up by SPH Method. KSCE Journal of Civil Engineering, 12, 221-226. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12205-008-0221-y
- Sussman, M., Smereka, P., Osher, S., 1994. A Level Set Approach for Computing Solutions to Incompressible Two-phase Flow. Journal Computational Physics, 114, 272-280.
- Synolakis, C.E., 1987. The Runup of Solitary Waves. Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 185, 523-545. https://doi.org/10.1017/S002211208700329X
- United State Geological Survey (USGS), 2013. Historical Acticity, http://www.usgs.gov/. [Online] (Updated August 2013) Available at: (http://research.dlindquist.com/quake/historical/) [Accessed August 2013]
- van der Merr, J.W., Petit, H.A.H., van der Bosch, P., 1992. Numerical Simulation of Wave Motion on and in Coastal Structures, Proceedings of 23th ICCE, 1772-1784.
- Development of WMLS-based Particle Simulation Method for Solving Free-Surface Flow vol.28, pp.2, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5574/KSOE.2014.28.2.093
Supported by : 한국연구재단