- Volume 28 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Comparative Study of Ice Breaking Performance according to Scale of Sea Ice on Ice Field
실해역 해빙 크기에 따른 Araon호의 쇄빙성능 비교연구
- Received : 2013.11.27
- Accepted : 2014.02.13
- Published : 2014.02.28
The Korean icebreaking research vessel "Araon" performed four sea trials in the Arctic and Antarctic Seas. The ice properties, such as the ice thickness, floe size, ice strength, and power of the vessel were quite different in these trials. To compare the speeds of ship with the same ice strength and power, the AARC (Arker Arctic Research Center) method is used with a vessel power of 10 MW and an ice strength of 630 Pa in this paper. Based on the analysis results, the speed of the ship was 1.62 knots (0.83 m/s) with a 1.02-m ice thickness and 2.5-km floe size, 5.3 knots (2.73 m/s) with a 1.2-m ice thickness and 1.0-km floe size, and 13.8 knots (7.10 m/s) with a 1.1-m ice thickness and 200-m floe size. The analysis results showed that the ship speed and floe size have an inversely proportional relationship. Two reasonable reasons are given in this paper for the final result. One is an ice breaking phenomenon, and the other is the effect of the ice floe mass. For the breaking phenomenon, the ice breaking force is very small because the ice floe is not breaking but tearing when a ship is passing through a small ice floe. Regarding the effect of the ice floe mass, it is impossible for a ship to push and tear an ice floe if the mass of the ice floe is too large compared to the mass of the ship. The velocity of the ship decreases when the ice floe has a large mass and a large size because the ship has to break the ice floe to move forward.
Ice floe;Ice;breaking performance;Small floe;Big floe;Vast floe;Araon performance
- Ionov, B.P., 1988. Ice resistance and its components. L.:Gidrometeoizdat.
- Kim, H.S., Lee, C.-J., Jeong, S.-Y., Choi, K., 2011. A Study on the Speed Sea Trial on the Ice Field using Ice Breaking Research Vessel"Araon". Journal of the Society of Naval Archiects of Korea, 48(5), 420-424.
- Kim, H.S., Lee, C.-J., Choi, G.-G., Lee, J.M., Choi, K., Ha, J.S., 2012. Speed Trial analysis of Korean ice Breaking Research Vessel 'Araon' on the Big Floe. Journal of the Society of Naval Architects of Korea, 49(6), 478-483. https://doi.org/10.3744/SNAK.2012.49.6.478
- Lee, C.-J., Jeong, S.-Y., Ahn, D.-S., Kim, H.-S., 2010. The Ice Field Tests of Araonin Arctic Ocean. Proceeding of the society of Naval Architects of Korea, 2010. Autumn, 134-140
- Lee, S.-K., Kim, M.-C., Lee, W.-J., Kim, H.-S., Lee, C.-J., 2011. Study on the Correction Method of Ice Strength and Thickness Applied to the Sea Trial Condition Based on the Ice Model Test Results. Journal of the Society of Naval Architects of Korea, 48(5), 457-464. https://doi.org/10.3744/SNAK.2011.48.5.457
- TImco, G.W., O'Brien, S., 1994. Flexural Strength Equation for Sea Ice. Cold Regions Science and Technology, 22, 285-298. https://doi.org/10.1016/0165-232X(94)90006-X
Grant : 빙해선박의 극지항로 안전운항기술 및 극저온 빙성능 시험평가 기법 개발
Supported by : 지식경제부