- Volume 28 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Evaluation of Behaviors on Mooring Line Embedded in Sand Using Centrifuge Test
원심모형실험을 이용한 모래지반에 관입된 계류선 거동 평가
- Received : 2013.12.11
- Accepted : 2014.02.13
- Published : 2014.02.28
When an anchor penetrates and is installed under a seabed, a portion of the mooring line connected to the anchor is also embedded under the seabed. This embedded mooring line affects the capacity of the anchor in two ways. First, the frictional resistance that occurs between the mooring line and the seabed reduces the pulling force acting on the anchor. Second, the embedded part of the mooring line forms a reverse catenary shape due to the bearing resistance of the soil, so that an inclined pulling force is applied to the anchor. To evaluate the mooring line's effect on the capacity of an anchor in sand, centrifuge model tests were performed using two relative sand densities of 76% and 51% while changing the anchor depths. The test results showed that the load is reduced much more in deep and dense sand, and the inclination angle of the load is lower in shallow and loose sand.
Centrifuge test;Mooring line;Sand ground
- Byrne, B.W., 2000. Investigations of Suction Caissons in Dense Sand. ph.D. Thesis, Oxford University.
- Andersen, K.H., Murff, J.D., Randolph, M.F., Clukey, E.C., Erbrich, C.T., Jostab, H.P., Hansen, B., Aubeny, C., Sharama, P., Suspachawarote, C., 2005. Suction Anchors for Deepwater Application. Proceedings of the International Symposium on Frontiers in Offshore Geotechnics(ISFOG), 3-30.
- Bang, S., Han, H., Taylor, R.J., 2000. Calibration of Analytical Solution Using Centrifuge Model Tests on Mooring Lines. International Journal of Offshore and Polar Engineering, 10(3).
- Degenkamp, G., Dutta, A., 1989. Soil Resistance to Embedded Anchor Chain in Soft Clay. Journal of Geotechnical Engineering, 115(10).
- Dutta, A., E.T.P.M., Degenkamp, G., 1989. Behavior of Embedded Mooring Chains in Clay during Chain Tensioning. Proceedings of the 21th Annual Offshore Technology Conference, Houston, Tex.
- Elkhatib, S., Lonnie, B., Randolph, M.F., 2002. Installation and Pull-Out Capacities of Drag-In Plate Anchors. Proceedings of the twelfth International Offshore and Polar Engineering Conference, 648-654.
- Kim, D., Kim, N., Choo, Y.W., Cho, G., 2013. A newly Developed State-of-the-Art Geotechnical Centrifuge in Korea. KSCE journal of Civil Engineering, 17(1), 77-84. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12205-013-1350-5
- Neubecker, S.R., Randolph, M.F., 1995. Profile and Frictional Capacity of Embedded Anchor Chains. Journal of Geotechnical Engineering, 121(11), Paper No. 9173.
- Neubecker, S.R., Randolph, M.F., 1996. The Performance of Drag Anchor and Chain Systems in Cohesive Soil. Journal of Marine and Geotechnology, 14, 77-96. https://doi.org/10.1080/10641199609388305
- O'Neill, M.P., Bransby, M.F., Randolph, M.F., 2003. Drag Anchor Fluke-Soil Interaction in Clays. Canadian Geotechnical Journal, 40(1), 78-94. Canadian Geotechnical Journal https://doi.org/10.1139/t02-096
- Supachawarote, C., 2006. Inclined Load Capacity of Suction Caisson in Clay. Ph.D. Thesis, The University of Western Australia.
- Vivatrat, V., Valent, P.J., Ponterio, A.A., Brian Watt Asscociates, Inc., 1982. The Influence of Chain Friction on Anchor Pile Design. Proceedings of the 14th Annual Offshore Technology Conference, Paper 4178, Houston, Tex., 153-163.
- Zdravkovic L., Potts D.M., Jardine R.J., 1998. Pull-Out Capacity of Bucket Foundations in Soft Clay. Proceedings of the International Conference on Offshore Site Investigation and Foundation Behaviour, 301-324.
Supported by : 한국해양과학기술원, 한국연구재단