- Volume 28 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Nanoparticle Effect on Durability of Carbon fiber/Epoxy Composites in Saline Water Environment
염수환경에서 탄소섬유/에폭시 복합재료의 내구성에 미치는 나노입자의 영향
Kim, Bu-Ahn;Moon, Chang-Kwon
- Received : 2013.08.30
- Accepted : 2014.02.13
- Published : 2014.02.28
This study was conducted to investigate the durability of carbon fiber/epoxy composites (CFRP) in a saline water environment. The carbon fiber/epoxy composites were modified to use nanoparticles such as carbon nanotubes and titanum oxide. These hybrid composites were exposed to a saline water environment for a certain period. The weight gain according to the immersion time, a quasi-static tensile test, and micro-graphic characterization were used to investigate the samples exposed to the saline water environment. The weight gains increased with increasing immersion time. The weight gains of the hybrid composites were lower than that for pure CFRP throughout the entire immersion time. The tensile strengths decreased with increasing immersion time. The tensile strengths of the hybrid composites were higher than that of the pure CFRP throughout the entire immersion time. The pure CFRP was observed to be more degraded than the hybrid composites in the saline water environment. Therefore, it was concluded that the addition of nanoparticles to CFRP could lead to improved durability in a saline water environment.
Nanopaticle;Epoxy composites;Saline water;Durability
- Prolongo, S.G., Gude, M.R., Urena, A., 2012. Water Uptake of Epoxy Composites Reinforced with Carbon Nanofillers. Composites: part A, 2169-2175.
- Rana, S., Alagirusamy, R., Joshi, M., 2011. Development of Carbon Nanofibre Incorporated Three Phase Carbon/Epoxy Composites with Enhanced Mechanical and Thermal Properties. Composites: Part A, 439-445.
- Musika, F., Vargas, G., Ibarretxe, J., 2012. Influence of the Modification with MWCNT on the Interlaminar Fracture Properties of Long Carbon Fiber Composites. Composites: Part B, 1336-1340.
Kim, B.A., Moon, C.K., 2013. Study on the Mechanical and Thermal Properties of
$TiO_2$/Epoxy Resin Nanocomposites. International Journal of Ocean System Engineering, 3(2), 102-110. https://doi.org/10.5574/IJOSE.2013.3.2.102
- Kim, M.T., Rhee, K.Y., Lee, J.H., Hui, D., Lau, Alan K.T., 2011. Property Enhancement of a Carbon Fiber/Epoxy Composite by Using Carbon Nanotubes. Composites: Part B, 1257-1261.
- Moon, C.K., Takaku, A., 2005. Polymer Matrix Composites. Sigma Press, 2-12.
- Moon, Y.J., Park, C.H., Moon, C.K., 2008. Study of the Durability of GFRP Composites in Alkaline Environment. Pukyong National University, Busan, Korea.
- Dan, C., Jacob, K., Tannenbaum, R., 2006. Characterization of Polymer Nanocomposites Interphase and Its Impact on Mechanical Properties. Macromolecules, 6565-6573.
- Bansal, A., Yang, H., Li, C., Cho, K., Brian, B.C., Kumar, S.K., Schadler, L.S., 2005. Quantitative Equivalence Between Polymer Nanocomposites and Thin Polymer Films. Nature Materials, 693-698.
- Choi, Y.M., Moon, C.K., 2013. Study of Nanoparticle Effect on Durability of Carbon Fiber/Epoxy Composites in Moisture Environment. Journal of Korean Society Power System Engineering, submitted.