- Volume 21 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Factors Associated With Oral Health Related-quality of Life in Elderly Persons: Applying Andersen's Model
노인의 구강건강 관련 삶의 질 결정 요인에 관한 연구 - 앤더슨 모델(Andersen Model)의 적용 -
- Yom, Young-Hee (Red Cross College of Nursing, Chung-Ang University) ;
- Han, Jung-Hee (Graduate School, Chung-Ang University)
- Received : 2013.09.30
- Accepted : 2014.01.28
- Published : 2014.02.28
Purpose: This study was done to apply Andersen's behavioral model to identify factors that determine oral health-related quality of life in elderly persons. Methods: Participants were 257 people ages 65 years or older. Data were analyzed using frequency, percentage, mean and hierarchical multiple regression. Results: The variables in the behavioral model, predisposing factors, enabling factors and need factors, explained 31% (F=12.7, p<.001) of variance in oral health-related quality of life. The predisposing factors, enabling factors, need factors and health behavior collectively explained 35% (F=9.22, p<.001) of variance in oral health-related quality of life. Factors influencing oral health-related quality of life in older adults were ADL and IADL, self-reported oral health status, xerostomia and dental care in last 12 months. Conclusions: The analysis results showed that the need factor had the highest level of relative importance of the three factors. The model used for this study can be used to predict oral health-related quality of life.
- Alfaro, D. P., & Ahluwalia, K. P. (2010). Oral care needs, barriers and challenges among community dwelling elderly in New York State and northern Manhattan. New York State Dental Journal, 76(5), 38-41.
- Al-Zahrani, M. S., Borawski, E. A., & Bissada, N. F. (2005). Increased physical activity reduces prevalence of periodontitis. Journal of Dentistry, 33, 703-710. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jdent.2005.01.004 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jdent.2005.01.004
- Andersen, R. M. (1995). Revisiting the behavioral model and access to medical care: Does it matter? Journal of Health and Social Behavior, 36, 1-10. https://doi.org/10.2307/2137284
- Babitsch, B., Gohl, D., & von Lengerke, T. (2012). Re-revisiting Andersen's behavioral model of health services use: A systematic review of studies from 1998-2011. Psycho-Social-Medicine, 9, 1-15. http://dx.doi.org/10.3205/psm000089 https://doi.org/10.3205/psm000089
- Baker, S. R. (2009). Applying Andersen's behavioural model to oral health: What are the contextual factors shaping perceived oral health outcomes? Community Dentistry and Oral Epidemioloy, 37, 485-494. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0528.2009.00495.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0528.2009.00495.x
- Boffano, P., Roccia, F., Pittoni, D., Di Dio, D., Forni, P., & Gallesio, C. (2012). Management of 112 hospitalized patients with spreading odontogenic infections: Correlation with DMFT and oral health impact profile 14 indexes. Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology and Oral Radiology, 113, 207-213. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.tripleo.2011.02.006 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tripleo.2011.02.006
- Choi, J. S., Lee, Y. J., Jeon, S. B., Kim, H. M., Jeong, E. H., & Jo, E. J. (2010). The association between self-reported oral health problems and oral health-related quality of life. Journal of Korean Academy of Oral Health, 34, 411-421.
- Fox, P. C., van der Ven, P. F., Sonies, B. C., Weiffenbach, J. M., & Baum, B. J. (1985). Xerostomia: Evaluation of a symptom with increasing significance.Journal of American Dental Association, 110, 519-525. https://doi.org/10.14219/jada.archive.1985.0384
- Gerritsen, A. E., Allen, P. E., Witter, D. J., Bronkhorst, E. M., & Creugers, N. H. (2010). Tooth loss and oral health-related quality of life: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Health and Quality of Life Outcomes, 8, 2-11. http://dx.doi.org/10.1186/1477-7525-8-126. https://doi.org/10.1186/1477-7525-8-2
- Han, J. H., & Yom, Y. H. (2012). Effects of eating habits, activities of daily living and health behaviors on oral health related-quality of life in elderly persons. Korean Journal of Fundamentals of Nursing, 19, 179-189. https://doi.org/10.7739/jkafn.2012.19.2.179
- Health Insurance Review & Assessment Sevice. (2013). Medical Expenditure Statistical Indicator. Retrieved April 20, 2013, from Website: http://www.hira.or.kr/dummy.do?pgmid=HIRAA020045030000&cmsurl=/cms/information/05/03/03/1316820_13609.html
- Hebling, E., & Pereira, A. C. (2007). Oral health-related quality of life: A critical appraisal of assessment tools used in elderly people. Gerodontology, 24, 151-161. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1741-2358.2007.00178.x
- Jang, M. S., Kim, H. Y., Shim, Y. S., Rhyu, I. C., Han, S. B., Chung, C. P., et al. (2006). Association between the self-reported periodontal health status and oral healthrelated quality of life among elderly Koreans. Journal of Periodontal & Implant Science. 36, 591-600.
- Jeon, H. S., & Kahng, S. K. (2011). The effects of medical service utilizations on life satisfaction among the elderly: Focusing on the moderating effects of the presence of chronic illnesses. Journal of Korean Gerontological Society, 31, 1247-1263.
- Jeong, G. C., & Kim, S. N. (2003). A study on the dental services utilization by application of the Andersen model in students of some Korean University. Journal of Wonkwang Dental Research Institute, 12, 617-637.
- Kim, E. S. (2013). Review of oral health-related quality of life using the oral health impact profile. Journal of the Korean Academy of Dental Hygiene, 15, 13-22.
- Lawton, M. P., Kleban, M. H., Moss, M., Rovine, M., & Glicksman, A. (1989). Measuring caregiving appraisal. Journal of Gerontology, 44, 61-71. https://doi.org/10.1093/geronj/44.3.P61
- Lee, H. O., & Kim, J. (2008). Effects of elders' oral health beliefs and oral health behaviors on their quality of life. Journal of Dental Hygiene Science, 8, 57-63.
- Lee, J. Y., Lee, Y. O., & Kho, H. S. (2005). Reliability of a questionnaire for evaluation of dry mouth symptoms. Korean Journal of Oral Medicine, 30, 383-389.
- Lee, M. S., Kim, S. H., Yang, J. S., Oh, J. S., & Kim, D. K. (2005). Validity and reliability of the oral health impact profile in elderly Korean 65+. Journal of Korean Academy of Oral Health, 29, 210-221.
- Lee, S. M. (2002). A study on health status by social class and the influence of social support among Korean elderly. Korean Gerontological Society, 22(3), 135-157.
- Mahoney, F. I., & Barthel, D. W. (1965). Functional evaluation: The Barthel Index. Maryland State Medical Journal, 14, 61-65.
- Maida, C. A., Marcus, M., Spolsky, V. W., Wang, Y., & Liu, H. (2013). Socio-behavioral predictors of self-reported oral health-related quality of life. Quality of Life Research, 22, 559-566. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s11136-012-0173-z https://doi.org/10.1007/s11136-012-0173-z
- Naito, M., Yuasa, H., Nomura, Y., Nakayama, T., Hamajima, N., & Hanada, N. (2006). Oral health status and health-related quality of life: A systematic review. Journal of Oral Science, 48, 1-7. https://doi.org/10.2334/josnusd.48.1
- Park, M. S., & Ryu, S. A. (2010). Degree of dry mouth and factors influencing oral health-related quality of life for community-dwelling elders. Journal of Korean Academy Nursing, 40, 747-755. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2010.40.5.747
- Petersen, P. E. (2005). Sociobehavioural risk factors in dental caries - international perspectives. Community Dentistry and Oral Epidemiology, 33, 274-279. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0528.2005.00235.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0528.2005.00235.x
- Shin, S. J., Chung, W. G., Ahn, Y. S., Ma, D. S., Park, D. Y., & Jung, S. H. (2011). Association between socio-economic status and oral-related quality of life for elderly people. Journal of Korean Academy of Oral Health, 35, 297-305.
- Slade, G. D., & Spencer, A. J. (1994). Development and evaluation of the oral health impact profile. Community Dental Health., 11(1), 3-11.
- Song, M. S. (1991). Construction of a functional status prediction model for the elderly. Unpublished doctoral's dissertation, Seoul National University, Seoul.
- Turner, M. D., & Ship, J. A. (2007). Dry mouth and its effects on the oral health of elderly people. Journal of the American Dental Association, 138, 15S-20S. https://doi.org/10.14219/jada.archive.2007.0358
- The relationship between dementia and the number of remaining tooth of the elderly women on senior center vol.14, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.2.279
- Association of self-perceived oral health and depression in the elderly: the sixth Korea national health and nutrition examination survey(the 6th KNHANES) vol.16, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2016.16.02.285
- Dental Utilization Associated Factors among Elderly vol.15, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.17135/jdhs.2015.15.1.60
- Dental care utilization patterns by the status of ADL and IADL in the elderly vol.39, pp.2, 2015, https://doi.org/10.11149/jkaoh.2015.39.2.102
- The relationship between the number of remaining teeth and senile dementia: A pilot study vol.39, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.11149/jkaoh.2015.39.3.214
- Correlations between Xerostomia, Oral Health Quality of Life and Knowledge about Water Intake among Community-dwelling Older Adults vol.20, pp.2, 2017, https://doi.org/10.7587/kjrehn.2017.164
- Factors affecting the health-related quality of life in community-dwelling elderly people pp.07371209, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1111/phn.12530