- Volume 27 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Genetic Analysis of Ultrasound and Carcass Measurement Traits in a Regional Hanwoo Steer Population
- Hwang, Jeong Mi (Livestock Research Institute, National Agriculture Cooperative Federation) ;
- Cheong, Jae Kyoung (Livestock Research Institute, National Agriculture Cooperative Federation) ;
- Kim, Sam Su (Livestock Research Institute, National Agriculture Cooperative Federation) ;
- Jung, Bong Hwan (Hoengseong Chuckhyup) ;
- Koh, Myung Jae (Hoengseong Chuckhyup) ;
- Kim, Hyeong Cheol (Hanwoo Experiment Station, National Institute of Animal Science) ;
- Choy, Yun Ho (Animal Breeding and Genetics Division, National Institute of Animal Science)
- Received : 2013.09.03
- Accepted : 2013.11.29
- Published : 2014.04.01
Ultrasound measurements of backfat thickness (UBF), longissimus muscle area (ULMA) and marbling score (UMS) and carcass measurements of carcass weight (CW), backfat thickness (BF), longissimus muscle area (LMA), and marbling score (MS) on 7,044 Hanwoo steers were analyzed to estimate genetic parameters. Data from Hanwoo steers that were raised, finished in Hoengseong-gun, Gangwon-do (province) and shipped to slaughter houses during the period from October 2010 to April 2013 were evaluated. Ultrasound measurements were taken at approximately three months before slaughter by an experienced operator using a B-mode real-time ultrasound device (HS-2000, FHK Co. Ltd., Tokyo, Japan) with a 3.5 MHz linear probe. Ultrasound scanning was on the left side between 13th rib and the first lumbar vertebrae. All slaughtering processes and carcass evaluations were performed in accordance with the guidelines of beef grading system of Korea. To estimate genetic parameters, multiple trait animal models were applied. Fixed effects included in the models were: the effects of farm, contemporary group effects (year-season at the time of ultrasound scanning in the models for UBF, ULMA, and UMS, and year-season at slaughter in the models for CW, BF, LMA, and MS), the effects of ultrasound technicians as class variables and the effects of the age in days at ultrasound scanning or at slaughtering as linear covariates, respectively for ultrasound and carcass measures. Heritability estimates obtained from our analyses were 0.37 for UBF, 0.13 for ULMA, 0.27 for UMS, 0.44 for CW, 0.33 for BF, 0.36 for LMA and 0.54 MS, respectively. Genetic correlations were strongly positive between corresponding traits of ultrasound and carcass measures. Genetic correlation coefficient between UBF and BF estimate was 0.938, between ULMA and LMA was 0.767 and between UMS and MS was 0.925. These results suggest that ultrasound measurement traits are genetically similar to carcass measurement traits.
Hanwoo;Ultrasound;Carcass Trait;Heritability;Genetic Correlation
- Devitt, C. J. B. and J. W. Wilton. 2001. Genetic correlation estimates between ultrasound measurements on yearling bulls and carcass measurements on finished steers. J. Anim. Sci. 79:2790-2797.
- Choi, T. J., S. D. Kim, A. J. Salces, and D. H. Baik. 2006. Genetic parameter estimation on the growth and carcass traits in Hanwoo (Korean Cattle). J. Anim. Sci. Technol. (Korean) 48:759-766. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2006.48.6.759
- Cheong, J. K., Y. T. Oh, H. N. Choi, C. H. Lee, K. H. Kim, K. Y. Kim, Y. H. Choy, H. C. Kim, and J. M. Hwang. 2012. Effect of geographic locations and year-seasons of birth on ultrasound scanned measures and carcass traits of Hanwoo steers. J. Anim. Sci. Technol. (Korean) 54:247-253. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2012.54.4.247
- Crews, D. H., Jr. and R. A. Kemp. 2001. Genetic parameters forultrasound and carcass measures of yield and quality amongreplacement and slaughter beef cattle. J. Anim. Sci. 79:3008-3020.
- Hirooka, H., A. F. Groen, and M. Matsumoto. 1996. Genetic parameters for growth and carcass traits in Japanese Brown Cattle estimated from field records. J. Anim. Sci. 74:2112-2116.
- Kim, H. C., D. H. Lee, S. B. Choi, and G. J. Jeon. 2003. Relationship between ultrasonic and carcass measures for meat qualities in Hanwoo steers. J. Anim. Sci. Technol. (Korean) 45:183-190. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2003.45.2.183
- Hwang, J. M., S. D. Kim, Y. H. Choy, H. B. Yoon, and C. J. Park. 2008. Genetic parameter estimation of carcass traits of Hanwoo steer. J. Anim. Sci. Technol. (Korean) 50:613-620. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2008.50.5.613
- Kemp, D. J., W. O. Herring, and C. J. Kaiser. 2002. Genetic and environmental parameters for steer ultrasound and carcass traits. J. Anim. Sci. 80:1489-1496.
- Kim, H. C., S. H. Lee, C. G. Dang, G. J. Jeon, S. H. Yeon, Y. M. Cho, S. M. Lee, B. S. Yang, and J. B. Kim. 2012. Estimation of genetic parameters for ultrasound and carcass traits in Hanwoo. J. Anim. Sci. Technol. (Korean) 54:331-336. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2012.54.5.331
- Koo, Y. M., S. D. Kim, J. I. Kim, C. E. Song, K. H. Lee, Y. H. Jeoung, J. Y. Lee, H. G. Jang, B. H. Park, T. J. Choi, K. H. Cho, S. S. Lee, J. G. Lee, and H. S. Kim. 2011. Research of Statistical Model for genetic evaluation of Hanwoo carcass traits. J. Anim. Sci. Technol. (Korean) 53:283-288. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2011.53.4.283
- Lee, D. H. 2003. Monte Carlo simulations of selection responses for improving high meat qualities using real time ultrasound in Korean cattle. 2003. J. Anim. Sci. Technol. (Korean) 45:343-354. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2003.45.3.343
- Ministry of Food, Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries, and Livestock Research Institute, NACF. 2012. Report on ultrasound processing expenses support project 2012 in Korea. Nonghyup, Anseong, Korea. pp. 31-32. (in Korean).
- MacNeil, M. D. and S. L. Northcutt. 2008. National cattle evaluation system for combined analysis of carcass characteristics andindicator traits recorded by using ultrasound in Angus cattle. J. Anim. Sci. 86:2518-2524. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2008-0901
- Park, C. H., Y. M. Koo, B. W. Kim, D. W. Sun, J. I. Kim, C. E. Song, K. H. Lee, J. Y. Lee, Y. H. Jeoung, and J. G. Lee. 2012. Repeated Records Animal model to estimate genetic parameters of ultrasound measurement traits in Hanwoo cows. J. Anim. Sci. Technol. (Korean) 54:71-75. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2012.54.2.71
- Meyer, K. 2007. WOMBAT-A tool for mixed model analyses in quantitative genetics byrestriced maximum likelihood (REML). J. Zhejiang Univ. Sci. B 8(11):815-821.
- Nogi, T., T. Honda, F. Mukai, T. Okagaki, and K. Oyama. 2011. Heritabilities and genetic correlations of fatty acid compositions in longissimus muscle lipid with carcass traits in Japanese Black cattle. J. Anim. Sci. 89:615-621. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2009-2300
- Osawa, T., K. Kuchida, S. Hidaka, and T. Kato. 2008. Genetic parameters for image analysis traits on M. Longissimus thoracis and M. trapezius of carcass cross section in Japanese Black steers. J. Anim. Sci. 86:40-46.
- Rhee, Y. J., H. K. Seok, S. J. Kim, and Y. H. Song. 2003. Early prediction of carcass yield grade by ultrasound in Hanwoo. J. Anim. Sci. Technol. (Korean) 45:327-334. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2003.45.2.327
- Rhee, Y. J., J. Y. Kim, S. K. Lee, and Y. H. Song. 2005. Prediction of carcass meat quality grade by ultrasound in Hanwoo. J. Anim. Sci. Technol. (Korean) 47:1095-1100. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2005.47.6.1095
- Roh, S. H., B. W. Kim, H. S. Kim, H. S. Min, H. B. Yoon, D. H. Lee, J. T. Jeon, and J. G. Lee. 2004. Comparison between REML and Bayesian via Gibbs sampling Algorithm with a MIX Animal Model to estimate genetic parameters for carcass traits in Hanwoo (Korean native cattle). J. Anim. Sci. Technol. (Korean) 45:719-728.
- Stelzleni, A. M., T. L. Perkins, A. H. Brown Jr., F. W. Pohlman, Z. B. Johnson, and B. A. Sandelin. 2002. Genetic parameter estimates of yearling live animal ultrasonic measurements in Brangus cattle. J. Anim. Sci. 80:3150-3153.
- Roh, S. H., C. Y. Kim, Y. S. Won, C. J. Park, S. S. Lee, and J. G. Lee. 2010. Studies on genetic parameter estimation and sire selection to ultrasound measurement traits of Hanwoo. J. Anim. Sci. Technol. (Korean) 52:1-8. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2010.52.1.001
- SAS. 2002. SAS/STAT User's Guide. V. 9.1. SAS Institute Inc., Cary, NC, USA.
- Song, Y. H., S. J. Kim, and S. K. Lee. 2002. Evaluation of ultrasound for prediction of carcass meat yield and meat quality in Korean native cattle (Hanwoo). Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 15:591-595. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2002.591
- Yoon, H. B., S. D. Kim, S. H. Na, U. M. Chang. H. K, Lee, and G. J. Jeon. 2002. Estimation of genetic parameters for carcass traits in Hanwoo steer. J. Anim. Sci. Technol. (Korean) 44:383-390. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2002.44.4.383