- Volume 27 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Dexamethasone and Acetate Modulate Cytoplasmic Leptin in Bovine Preadipocytes
- Yonekur, Shinichi (Department of Animal Physiology, Faculty of Agriculture, Shinshu University) ;
- Hirota, Shohei (Department of Animal Physiology, Faculty of Agriculture, Shinshu University) ;
- Tokutake, Yukako (Department of Animal Physiology, Faculty of Agriculture, Shinshu University) ;
- Rose, Michael T. (Institute of Rural Studies, University of Wales) ;
- Katoh, Kazuo (Department of Animal Physiology, Graduate School of Agriculture, Tohoku University) ;
- Aso, Hisashi (Department of Cellular Biology, Graduate School of Agriculture, Tohoku University)
- Received : 2013.09.11
- Accepted : 2013.12.10
- Published : 2014.04.01
Hormonal and nutrient signals regulate leptin synthesis and secretion. In rodents, leptin is stored in cytosolic pools of adipocytes. However, not much information is available regarding the regulation of intracellular leptin in ruminants. Recently, we demonstrated that leptin mRNA was expressed in bovine intramuscular preadipocyte cells (BIP cells) and that a cytoplasmic leptin pool may be present in preadipocytes. In the present study, we investigated the expression of cytoplasmic leptin protein in BIP cells during differentiation as well as the effects of various factors added to the differentiation medium on its expression in BIP cells. Leptin mRNA expression was observed only at 6 and 8 days after adipogenic induction, whereas the cytoplasmic leptin concentration was the highest on day 0 and decreased gradually thereafter. Cytoplasmic leptin was detected at 6 and 8 days after adipogenic induction, but not at 4 days after adipogenic induction. The cytoplasmic leptin concentration was reduced in BIP cells at 4 days after treatment with dexamethasone, whereas cytoplasmic leptin was not observed at 8 days after treatment. In contrast, acetate significantly enhanced the cytoplasmic leptin concentration in BIP cells at 8 days after treatment, although acetate alone did not induce adipocyte differentiation in BIP cells. These results suggest that dexamethasone and acetate modulate the cytoplasmic leptin concentration in bovine preadipocytes.
- Coleman, R. A. and T. S. Hermann. 1999. Nutritional regulation of leptin in humans. Diabetologia 42:639-646. https://doi.org/10.1007/s001250051210
- Aso, H., H. Abe, I. Nakajima, K. Ozutsumi, T. Yamaguchi, Y. Takamori, A. Kodama, F. B. Hoshino, and S. Takano. 1995. A preadipocyte clonal line from bovine intramuscular adipose tissue: nonexpression of GLUT-4 protein during adipocyte differentiation. Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 213:369-375. https://doi.org/10.1006/bbrc.1995.2141
- Bradley, R. L. and B. Cheatham. 1999. Regulation of ob gene expression and leptin secretion by insulin and dexamethasone in rat adipocytes. Diabetes 48:272-278. https://doi.org/10.2337/diabetes.48.2.272
- Considine, R. V., M. K. Sinha, M. L. Heiman, A. Kriauuciunas, T. W. Stephens, M. R. Nyce, J. P. Ohannesian, C. C. Marco, L. J. McKee, T. L. Bauer, and J. F. Caro. 1996. Serum immunoreactive-leptin concentrations in normal weight and obese humans. N. Engl. J. Med. 334:292-295. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJM199602013340503
- Considine, R. V., M. R. Nyce, J. W. Kolaczynski, P. L. Zhang, J. P. Ohannesian, J. H. Moore Jr., J. W. Fox, and J. F. Caro. 1997. Dexamethasone stimulates leptin release from human adipocytes: unexpected inhibition by insulin. J. Cell Ciochem. 65:254-258. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-4644(199705)65:2<254::AID-JCB10>3.0.CO;2-I
- Friedman, J. M. and J. L. Halaas. 1998. Leptin and the regulation of body weight in mammals. Nature 395:763-770. https://doi.org/10.1038/27376
- Gettys, T. W., P. J. Harkness, and P. M. Watson. 1996. The beta 3- adrenergic receptor inhibits insulin-stimulated leptin secretion from isolated rat adipocytes. Endocrinology 137:4054-4057.
- Lee, M. J., Y. Wang, D. W. Gong, and S. K. Fried. 2007. Feeding and insulin increase leptin translation: Importance of the leptin mRNA untranslated regions. J. Biol. Chem. 282:72-80. https://doi.org/10.1074/jbc.M609518200
- Jahng, J. W., N. Y. Kim, V. Ryu, S. B. Yoo, B. T. Kim, D. W. Kang, and J. H. Lee. 2008. Dexamethasone reduces food intake, weight gain and hypothalamic 5-HT concentration and increases plasma leptin in rats. Eur. J. Pharmacol. 581:64-70. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejphar.2007.11.029
- Larsson, H. and B. Ahren. 1996. Short-term dexamethasone treatment increases plasma leptin independently in insulin sensitivity in healthy women. J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab. 81:4428-4432.
- Lee, M. J. and S. K. Fried. 2006. Multivel regulation of leptin storage, turnover, and secretion by feeding and insulin in rat adipose tissue. J. Lipid Res. 47:1984-1993. https://doi.org/10.1194/jlr.M600065-JLR200
- MacDougald, O. A., C. S. Hwang, H. Fan, and M. D. Lane, 1995, Regulated expression of the obese gene product (leptin) in white adipose tissue and 3T3-L1 adipocytes. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 92:9034-9037. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.92.20.9034
- Maffei, M., J. Halaas, E. Ravussin, R. E. Pratley, G. H. Lee, Y. Zhang, H. Fei, S. Kim, R. Lallone, S. Ranganathan, P. A. Kern, and J. M. Friedman. 1995. Leptin levels in human and rodent: measurement of plasma leptin and ob RNA in obese and weight-reduced subjects. Nat. Med. 11:1155-1161.
- Papaspyrou-Rao, S., S. H. Schneider, R. N. Petersen, and S. K. Fried. 1997. Dexamethasone increases leptin expression in human in vivo. J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab. 82:1635-1637. https://doi.org/10.1210/jcem.82.5.3928
- Rentsch, J. and M. Chiesi. 1996. Regulation of ob gene mRNA levels in cultured adipocytes. FEBS Lett. 379:55-59. https://doi.org/10.1016/0014-5793(95)01485-3
- Sasaki, S. 2002. Mechanism of insulin action on glucose metabolism in ruminants. Anim. Sci. J. 73:423-433. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1344-3941.2002.00059.x
- Roh, C., G. Thoidis, S. R. Farmer, and K. V. Kandror. 2000. Identification and characterization of leptin-containing intracellular compartment in rat adipose cells. Am. J. Physiol. Endocrinol. Metab. 279:E893-E899.
- Russell, C. D., R. N. Petersen, S. P. Rao, M. R. Ricci, A. Prasad, Y. Zhang, R. E. Brolin, and S. K. Fried. 1998. Leptin expression in adipose tissue from obese humans: depot-specific regulation by insulin and dexamethasone. Am. J. Physiolo. Endocrinol. Metab. 275:E507-E515.
- Saladin, R., P. De Vos, M. Guerre-Millo, A. Leturque, J. Girard, B. Staels, and J. Auwerx. 1995. Transient increase in obese gene expression after food intake or insulin administration. Nature 377:527-528. https://doi.org/10.1038/377527a0
- Slieker, L. J., K. W. Sloop, P. L. Surface, A. Kriauciunas, F. LaQuier, J. Manetta, J. Bue-Valleskey, and T. W. Stephens. Regulation of expression of ob mRNA and protein by glucocorticoids and cAMP. 1996. J. Biol. Chem. 271:5301-5304. https://doi.org/10.1074/jbc.271.10.5301
- Soliman, M., K. Kimura, M. Ahmed, D. Yamaji, Y. Matsushita, Y. Okamatsu-Ogura, K. Makondo, and M. Saito. 2007. Inverse regulation of leptin mRNA expression by short- and long-chain fatty acids in cultured bovine adipocytes. Domest. Anim. Endocrinol. 33:400-409. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.domaniend.2006.08.005
- Wabitsch, M., P. B. Jensen, W. F. Blum, C. T. Christoffersen, P. Englaro, E. Heinze, W. Rascher, W. Teller, H. Tornqvist, and H. Hauner. 1996. Insulin and cortisol promote leptin production in cultured human fat cells. Diabetes 45:1435-1438. https://doi.org/10.2337/diab.45.10.1435
- Xiong, Y., N. Miyamoto, K. Shibata, M. A. Valasek, T. Motoike, R. M. Kedzierski, and M. Yanagisawa. 2004. Short-chain fatty acids stimulate leptin production in adipocytes through the G protein-coupled receptor GPR41. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 101:1045-1050. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.2637002100
- Yonekura, S., Y. Tokutake, S. Hirota, M. T. Rose, K. Katoh, and H. Aso. 2013. Proliferating bovine intramuscular preadipocyte cells synthesize leptin. Domest. Anim. Endocrinol. 45:33-37. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.domaniend.2013.03.004
- Yonekura, S., T. Senoo, Y. Kobayashi, T. Yonezawa, K. Katoh, and Y. Obara. 2003. Effects of acetate and butyrate on the expression of leptin and short-form leptin receptor in bovine and rat anterior pituitary cells. Gen. Comp. Endocrinol. 133:165-172. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0016-6480(03)00162-X
- - Invited Review - Physiological Roles of Adipokines, Hepatokines, and Myokines in Ruminants vol.29, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.16.0001R