- Volume 17 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Study on Improving the Environmental Performance of a Railway Vehicle through a Life Cycle Assessment of the Tilting Train
틸팅열차의 전과정평가를 통한 철도차량 환경성 개선방안연구
- Lee, Cheul Kyu (Eco-Transport Research Division, Korea Railroad Research Institute) ;
- Kim, Yong-Ki (Eco-Transport Research Division, Korea Railroad Research Institute) ;
- Lee, Jae-Young (Eco-Transport Research Division, Korea Railroad Research Institute) ;
- Choi, Yo-Han (Industrial Environment Division, Korea Institute of Industrial Technology) ;
- Kim, Cho-Young (Sustainable Business Division)
- Received : 2013.10.15
- Accepted : 2013.08.09
- Published : 2014.02.28
Recent international environmental regulations are focused on reducing pre-contamination and on sustainable development prior to the usage stage of a product. The Environmental Performance Declaration is being used as a tool for quantifying the environmental performance of products, to reduce contamination in advance, and for advertising the results of railway vehicles in Europe. In this study, a life cycle assessment of the tilting train was conducted, the first such case study in Korea, according to the ISO 14025 standard and Korea EDP (Environmental Declaration of the Product) rule. As a result of the LCA, the life cycle carbon emission of the tilting train was determined to be
Grant : 틸팅열차 운행 유지보수 효율화 SE연구, 철도 친환경성 향상기술 개발
Supported by : 국토해양부, 한국철도기술연구원
- Korea national status of waste generation and treatment, MEV, Kwacheon, Korea.
- KNCPC, Korea National LCI Information System(2011), http://www.kncpc.re.kr/lci/LCIDB/introduction_DB.asp.
- Association of Plastics Manufacturers in Europe(2011), Plastics Europe's Eco-profile Programe, http://www.plasticseurope.org/plastics-sustainability/eco-profiles.aspx.
- Swiss Centre for Life Cycle Inventories (2011) ecoinvent centre, http://www.ecoinvent.org/database/.
- Statistical YearBook of Railroad (2010) MOUT-related statistics, http://stat.mltm.go.kr/portal/cate/statView.do.
- C.K. Lee, Y.K. Kim, P. Pruitichaiwiboon, J.S. Kim, K.M. Lee, C.S. Ju (2010) Assessing environmentally friendly recycling methods for composite bodies of railway rolling stock using life-cycle analysis, Transportation Research Part D, 15, pp. 197-203. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.trd.2010.02.001
- Y.M. Yeon, Metallic Material (2003)
- PASS, http://www.kncpc.or.kr/green/lca_pass.asp.
- ISO (2006) ISO 14064-3 Greenhous gases - Part 3: Specification with guidance for the validation and verification of greenhouse gas assertions, ISO, Geneva, Switzerland.
- ISO (2000) ISO 14020 Environmental labels and declarations -- General principles, ISO, Geneva, Switzerland.
- ISO (2006) ISO 14040 Environmental management - Life cycle assessment - Principles and framework, ISO, Geneva, Switzerland.
- ISO (2006) ISO 14044 Environmental management - Life cycle assessment - Requirements and guidelines, ISO, Geneva, Switzerland.
- Eup Directive (2005) EcoDesign Requirements for Energy Using Products, http://www.eup-ecodesign.com/, EU.
- RoHS Directive (2002) Restriction of Hazardous Substances Directive, EU.
- WEEE Directive (2002) Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment Directive, EU.
- ELV Directive (2000) End of Life Vehicles, EU.
- ISO (2006) ISO 14064-1 Greenhous gases - Part 1: Specification with guidance at the organization level for quantification and reporting of greenhouse gas emissions and removals, ISO, Geneva, Switzerland.
- REPID, Rail Environmental Performance Indicators and Data formats.
- ISO (2006) ISO 14064-2 Greenhous gases - Part 2: Specification with guidance at the project level for quantification and reporting of greenhouse gas emission reductions and removal enhancements, ISO, Geneva, Switzerland.
- UIC, International Union of Railways, Paris, http://www.uic.org/.
- RAVEL project (2002), http://www.ravel-project.de/.
- PROSPER, Procedures for Rolling Stock Procurement with Environmental Requirements, 2005, UIC.
- UIC CODE 345 (2006) Environmental specifications for new rolling stock.
- EPD (2009) Product Category Rules (PCR) for preparing an environmental product declaration(EPD) for Rail Vehicles, Sweden.
- Bombardier Transportation (2010) SPACIUM Environmental Product Declaration.
- Y.K. Kim, J.Y. Lee, Y.H. Choi (2006) Life Cycle Assessment on the Interior Panel of Electric Motor Unit (EMU), Journal of The Korean Society for Railway, 9(5), pp. 517-523.
- Y.H. Choi, S.Y. Lee, Y.K. Kim, K.M. Lee (2007) Comparative LCA of three types of Interior Panel (IP) in Electric Motor Unit (EMU), Journal of The Korean Society for Railway, 10(5), pp. 596-599.
- ISO (2011) ISO/CD 14067 Carbon footprint of products - quantification and communication, ISO, Geneva, Switzerland.
- Product Category Rule of the Tilting Train for the EDP(2010), KEITI, http://www.edp.or.kr/edp/guide/guide_list.asp.
- Korea Railway Safety Law (2012) MOLIT.
- Korea Environmental Industry Technology Institute, Korea LCI Database Information Network(2011), http://www.edp.or.kr/lcidb/english/main/main.asp.
- An Experimental Verification on the Long-Term Performance of FRP Reinforcing Bars using Mechanical Anchorage System vol.15, pp.4, 2015, https://doi.org/10.9798/KOSHAM.2015.15.4.147
- The Fatigue Life Evaluation of CWR based on the Rail Grinding vol.35, pp.5, 2015, https://doi.org/10.12652/Ksce.2015.35.5.1191