- Volume 38 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Unwinding Behavior of and Load Prediction for Protective Tube Around Fiber-Optic Cable
보호 튜브의 풀림 거동 및 하중 예측
- Kim, Kun Woo (School of Mechanical Engineering, Pusan Nat'l Univ.) ;
- Lee, Jae Wook (Construction Equipment R & D Group, Korea Institute of Technology) ;
- Kim, Hyung Ryul (Agency for Defense Development) ;
- Yoo, Wan Suk (School of Mechanical Engineering, Pusan Nat'l Univ.)
- Received : 2013.05.27
- Accepted : 2013.12.11
- Published : 2014.03.01
As a fiber-optic cable is being unwound, it is protected by a tube that is designed to prevent unwinding problems such as tangling and unintentional cutting. In addition, a guide body is separated from the protective tube if a shear pin breaks when the maximum allowable load is exceeded. Therefore, it is important to analyze and predict the unwinding behavior of the protective tube, as well as the load on the shear pin, to enhance the likelihood of a successful operation when laying cables at extreme depths. In this study, the protective tube and the guide body are modeled with particles and are constrained with a constant-length constraint. The load on the shear pin was verified against experimental data, and the unwinding behavior was predicted from the load prediction results.
Protective Tube;Guided Body;Unwinding Behavior;Load Prediction
- Lee, J. W., An, D. M. and Yoo, W. S., 2011, "Derivation of Equations of Motion of an Unwinding Cable from a Cylindrical Spool Package," Journal of Mechanical Science and Technology, Vol. 25, No. 3, pp. 1287-1296. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12206-011-0314-2
- Nikravesh, P. E., 1988, Computer-Aided Analysis of Mechanical Systems, Prentice-Hall, Inc.
- Gerhart, P. M., Gross R. J. and Hochstein J. I., 1992, Fundamentals of Fluid Mechanics, 2nd Ed., Addison-Wesely Publishing Company.
- Choo, Y. I. and Casarella M. J., 1971, "Hydrodynamic Resistance of Towed Cables," Journal of Hydronautics, Vol. 5, No. 4, pp. 126-131. https://doi.org/10.2514/3.62882
- Kim, K. W., Lee, J. W. and Yoo, W. S., 2012, "Effect of Gravity and Tangential Air Resistance on Unwinding Cable," Nonlinear Dynamics, Vol. 70, pp. 67-87. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11071-012-0431-1
- Kiusalaas, J., 2005, Numerical Methods in Engineering with Matlab, Cambridge University Press.
- Dynamic load applied to shear pin and motion prediction of flexible hose vol.231, pp.22, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1177/0954406216663781