- Volume 38 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Experimental Verification of Unwinding Behavior of Fiber-Optic Cable and Prediction of High-Speed Unwinding
광 케이블 풀림 거동의 실험적 검증 및 고속 풀림 거동 예측
- Kim, Kun Woo (School of Mechanical Engineering, Pusan Nat'l Univ.) ;
- Lee, Jae Wook (Construction Equipment R & D Group, Korea Institute of Technology) ;
- Kim, Hyung Ryul (Agency for Defense Development) ;
- Yoo, Wan Suk (School of Mechanical Engineering, Pusan Nat'l Univ.)
- Received : 2013.06.20
- Accepted : 2013.11.14
- Published : 2014.03.01
Fiber-optic cables towed by underwater vehicles have an important role in enhancing the mission capability of a mother ship. In general, fiber optic cables are unwound in water for securing unwinding stability and preventing unwinding-related problems. Therefore, in this study, the numerically simulated result is verified against the experimental result in water, and the cable-unwinding motion is predicted based on the increase in unwinding velocity. The experimental apparatus is composed of a water tank and a winder, and a high-speed camera is used for photographing the cable-unwinding motion. The numerical result defined in the Cartesian coordinate system is solved using a transient-state unwinding equation of motion. The numerical result agrees well with the experimental result, and it can predict cable-unwinding behaviors in according to an increase in the unwinding velocity.
Fiber-Optic Cable;Unwinding Behavior;Experimental Verification;High-Speed Unwinding
- Wire Guided Missle, MILAN Project, http://www.eliteukforces.info/weapons/milan/.
- Wire Guided Torpedo, DM2A4, http://www.atlas-elektronik.com/.
- Padfield, D. G., 1956, "The Motion and Tension of an Unwinding Thread. I,," Proceedings of the Royal Society of London. Series A, Mathematical and Physical Sciences, Vol. 245, No. 1242, pp. 382-407.
- Lee, J. W., Kim, K. W., Kim, H. R. and Yoo, W. S., 2012, "Prediction of Unwinding Behaviors and Problems of Cables from Inner-Winding Spool Dispensers," Nonlinear Dynamics, Vol. 67, pp. 1791-1809. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11071-011-0106-3
- Kothari, V. K. and Leaf, G. A. V., 1979, "The Unwinding of Yarns from Packages, Part I: The Theory of Yarn-Unwinding," Journal of Textile Industry, No. 3, pp. 89-95.
- Fraser, W. B., Ghosh, T. K. and Batra, S. K., 1992, "On Unwinding Yarn from a Cylindrical Package," Proceedings: Mathematical and Physical Sciences, Vol. 436, No. 1898, pp. 479-498.
- Lee, J. W., An, D. M. and Yoo, W. S., 2011, "Derivation of Equations of Motion of an Unwinding Cable from a Cylindrical Spool Package," Journal of Mechanical Science and Technology, Vol. 25 , No. 5, pp. 1253-1260. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12206-011-0314-2
- Kim, K. W., Lee, J. W. and Yoo, W. S., 2012, "Effect of Gravity and Tangential Air Resistance on Unwinding Cable," Nonlinear Dynamics, Vol. 70, pp. 67-87. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11071-012-0431-1
- HBS bending beam load cell, http://www.cas.co.kr/.
- E2E-X551 proximity detector, http://www.omron.co.kr/.
- MotionPro Y3-S1 High Speed Camera, http://www.idtvision.com/.
- Gerhart, P. M., Gross, R. J. and Hochstein, J. I., 1992, Fundamentals of Fluid Mechanics, 2nd Ed. Addison-Wesley Publishing Company.
- Choo, Y. I. and Casarella M. J., 1971, "Hydrodynamic Resistance of Towed Cables," Journal of Hydronautics, Vol. 5, No. 4, pp. 126-131. https://doi.org/10.2514/3.62882
- Kiusalaas, J., 2005, Numerical Methods in Engineering with Matlab, Cambridge University Press.
- Hoffmann, K. A. and Chang, S. T., 2000, Computational Fluid Dynamics for Engineers, A Publication of Engineering Education System.
- Bathe, K. J., 1996, Finite Element Procedures, Prentice Hall International Inc.
- Savitzky, A. and Golay, M. J. E., 1964, "Smoothing and Differentiation of Data by Simplified Least Squares Procedures," Analytical Chemistry, Vol. 36, No. 8, pp. 1627-1639. https://doi.org/10.1021/ac60214a047
- Godawat, P., 2003, Experimental Verification of Non-Linear Behavior of Over-End Yarn Unwinding from Cylindrical Packages, Master Degree of North Carolina State University.
- Kim, H. R., Kim, K. W., Yoo, W. S. and Lee, J. W., 2013, Transient and Steady-State Analysis of a Thin Cable Unwinding from a Pay-out Dispenser, Journal of Mechanical Science and Technology, No. 2, pp. 353-358. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12206-013-0101-3
- Isakov, N. P., 1961, Yarn Tension in a Balloon, Tech. of Textile Industry U.S.S.R., No. 2, p. 92.