- Volume 38 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Optimal Shape Design of Pyeongyeong Considering Structural and Acoustical Characteristics
구조-음향 특성을 고려한 편경의 최적 형상 설계
- Lee, Seungmok (Gyeonggi Science High School) ;
- Kang, Minseok (Gyeonggi Science High School) ;
- Lee, Jin Woo (Division of Mechanical Engineering, Ajou Univ.)
- Received : 2013.12.05
- Accepted : 2013.12.31
- Published : 2014.03.01
An optimal shape design algorithm is suggested to systematically design a traditional Korean musical instrument, the Pyeongyeong. The Pyeongyeong consists of 16 different chime stones called Gyeongpyeons. The first natural vibration frequency of each Gyeongpyeon must be adjusted to its target frequency, which is determined by the traditional sound tuning method. The second and third natural frequencies must be proportional to the first natural frequency with a specific ratio (1:1.498:2.378). The key idea in our suggested design algorithm is to use the sensitivity of natural frequencies to the variation in the length of each side of a Gyeongpyeon. The dimensions of five different Gyeongpyeons are determined by following the suggested algorithm. Changes in natural frequencies with respect to local thickness variation are closely investigated to compensate for errors that may occur during manufacturing.
Optimal Shape Design;Natural Frequency;Pyeongyeong;Sound;Sensitivity
- Yoon, J. W. and Kim, J., 2010, "A Study on the Timbre of Pyeongyoung," Journal of Korea Multimedia Society, Vol. 13, No. 11, pp. 1728-1738.
- Paik, B. D., 2006, College Music Theory (3rd Edition), Hyundai Music Publication, Seoul, p. 21.
- Paik, B. D., 1998, Theory of Harmony, Sumoondang, Seoul, pp. 40-43.
- Lee, S. C., Kweon, D. W., Paik, I. H. and Hwang, H. J., 2008, Introduction to the Traditional Music(5th Edition), Poongnam, Seoul, pp. 18-26.
- Lee, S. H. and Kim, H. G., 2008, Pyeonjong Pyeongyeong Instrument Craftsmen 'Hyungon Kim', Korea Research Information, Paju
- Yoo, J. H. and Rossing, T. D., 2006, "Geometrical Effects on the Tuning of Chinese and Korean Stone Chimes," JASA Express Letters, pp. 78-83.
- Kim, S. H., 2003, "Beat Map Drawing Method of Bell Type Structures and Beat Maps of the King Seong-Deok Divine Bell," Transactions of the Korean Society for Noise and Vibration Engineering, Vol. 13, No. 8, pp. 626-636. https://doi.org/10.5050/KSNVN.2003.13.8.626
- Yoo, J. H., 2004, "Tuning Effect of L-Shape on Pyeon-Gyoung," Proceedings of the Acoustical Society of Korea 2004 Spring Annual Conference, Vol. 23, No. 2(a), pp. 287-290.
- Yoo, J. H., 2006, "Vibrational Modes of Pyeongeong," The Journal of the Acoustical Society of Korea, Vol. 25, No. 3, pp. 121-128.
- Yoo, J. H., Park, J. W., Bae, D. S., Kim, H. J., Sung, K. M., Noh, J. U. and Koh, H. W., 2011, "Estimation of Nominal Frequency of Whangjongeum by Acoustical Analysis of Old Pyeongyeongs," The Journal of the Acoustical Society of Korea, Vol. 30, No. 8, pp.421-427. https://doi.org/10.7776/ASK.2011.30.8.421
- Jeong, W. T., Kang, Y. J. and Kim, S. H., 2010, "An Experimental Study on the Influence of the Internal Cavity and Gap on the Bell Acoustics," Transaction of the Korean Society for Noise and Vibration Engineering, Vol. 20, No. 9, pp. 822-827. https://doi.org/10.5050/KSNVE.2010.20.9.822
- Jeong, W. T., Kang, Y. J. and Kim, S. H., 2010, "Acoustic Transmission Characteristics of Korean Temple Bell through the Partially Opened Area," Proceedings of the KSME 2010 Spring Annual Conference: Dynamics and Control, pp. 71-72.
- Kang, Y. J., Jeong, W. T., Kim, J. S. and Kim, S. H., 2010, "Acoustic Transmission Characteristics of the Structural-Acoustic Coupled System for Temple Bell," Proceedings of the KSNVE 2010 Spring Annual Conference, pp. 622-623.
- Kim, C. H., Lee, J. M. and Kang, Y. J., 1999, "The Sound Field Reconstruction of a Korean Bell Using an Error Minimization Scheme in the BEM-Based Acoustical Holography," Transactions of the Korean Society for Noise and Vibration Engineering, Vol. 9, No. 1, pp. 131-140.
- Lee, J. M., Cheon, S. H. and Kim, S. H. and Yum, Y. H., 1989, "A Study on the Vibrational Characteristics of Korean Bells," Trans. Korean Soc. Mech. Eng. A., Vol. 13, No. 3, pp. 397-403.
- Chung, S. C., Kong, D. C. and Yum, Y. H., 1986, "Modal Analysis of the Bell Type Sheel with Thickness and Asymmetric Effects," Trans. Korean Soc. Mech. Eng. A, Vol. 10, No. 3, pp. 383-391.
- Chung, S. C., Kim, D. M. and Yum, Y. H., 1984, "An Experimental Study on the Dynamic Characteristics of the Bell Type Structure," Trans. Korean Soc. Mech. Eng. A, Vol. 8, No. 4, pp. 368-374.
- Lee, H. G., 2000, Illustrated Text on Traditional Music, National Center for Korean Traditional Music, Seoul, pp. 360-367.
- Jeong, S. C., 1996, "A Study on Dynamic and Acoustic Behavior of Bell Type Strictire Using Finite Element Method," Transactions of the Korean Society for Noise and Vibration Engineering, Vol. 6, No. 4, pp. 447-456.
- Park, S. M., Park, I. S. and Lee, J. H., Kim, S. H., 2012, "Vibrational mode extraction using ODS in a Korean bell," Proceedings of the KSME 2012 Spring Annual Conference, pp. 421-424.
- Park, I. S., Lee, J. H. and Ann, Y. C., Park, S. M. and Kim, S. H., 2012, "Effect of an Artificial Dumshoi on the Beat Property of a Korean Bell," Proceedings of the KSME 2012 Fall Annual Conference, pp. 201-204.
- Kim, H. I., 2005, Basic Theory of Music, Sumoondang, Seoul, pp.186-187, pp. 51-53
- Lee, D. B., 2011, Research report for the Traditional musical instruments 2011, National Center for Korean Traditional Music, Seoul, pp. 194-207.