- Volume 50 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Seismic performance and its favorable structural system of three-tower suspension bridge
- Zhang, Xin-Jun (College of Civil Engineering Architecture, Zhejiang University of Technology) ;
- Fu, Guo-Ning (College of Civil Engineering Architecture, Zhejiang University of Technology)
- Received : 2012.05.28
- Accepted : 2014.02.28
- Published : 2014.04.25
Due to the lack of effective longitudinal constraint for center tower, structural stiffness of three-tower suspension bridge becomes less than that of two-tower suspension bridge, and therefore it becomes more susceptible to the seismic action. By taking a three-tower suspension bridge-the Taizhou Highway Bridge over the Yangtze River with two main spans of 1080 m as example, structural dynamic characteristics and seismic performance of the bridge is investigated, and the effects of cable's sag to span ratio, structural stiffness of the center tower, and longitudinal constraint of the girder on seismic response of the bridge are also investigated, and the favorable structural system is discussed with respect to seismic performance. The results show that structural response under lateral seismic action is more remarkable, especially for the side towers, and therefore more attentions should be paid to the lateral seismic performance and also the side towers. Large cable's sag, flexible center tower and the longitudinal elastic cable between the center tower and the girder are favorable to improve structural seismic performance of long-span three-tower suspension bridges.
- Forsberg, T. (2001), "Multi-span suspension bridges", Int. J. Steel Struct., 1(l), 63-73.
- Chen, A.R. (2006), Wind-resistant Research on the Taizhou Highway Bridge over the Yangtze River: sectional-model wind tunnel test, The State Key Laboratory for Disaster Reduction in Civil Engineering, Tongji University.
- Deng, Y.L., Peng, T.B. and Li, J.Z. (2008), "Study on dynamic characteristic and a seismic performance of a long-span triple-tower suspension bridge", J. Vib. Shock, 27(9), 105-110.
- Fukuda, T. (1975), "Multispan suspension bridges under torsional loading", J. Jpn. Soc. Civ. Eng., 242, 91-103.
- Fukuda, T. (1976), "Analysis of multispan suspension bridges", J. Struct .Div., 93(ST3), 63-86.
- Gimsing, N.J. (1997), Cable-supported bridges - concept & design, 2nd Edition, John Wiley & Sons Ltd., England.
- Wang, P. (2007), Study on the static and dynamic performance of multi-tower continuous suspension bridge, Southwest Jiaotong University.
- Jiao, C.K., Li, A.Q., Wang, H., Yang, Y.D. and Ji, L. (2010), "Influence of central buckle on seismic response of triple-tower suspension bridge", J. Southeast Univ. (Natural Science Edition), 40(1),160-164.
- Ministry of Communications (2008), Guidelines for seismic design of highway bridges (JTGT B02-01-2008), China Communications Press.
- Nazir, C.P. (1986), "Multispan balanced suspension bridge", J. Struct. Eng., ASCE, 112(11), 2512-2527 https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1986)112:11(2512)
- Wang, H., Zou, K.G., Li, A.Q. and Jiao, C.K. (2010), "Parameter effects on the dynamic characteristics of a super long-span triple-tower suspension bridge", J. Zhejiang Univ. Sci. A, 11(5), 305-316. https://doi.org/10.1631/jzus.A0900496
- Wang, S.B., Zhu, Y. and Li, J.Z. (2009), "Research of seismic performance of Maanshan three-pylon suspension bridge, J. Highw. Trans. Res. Develop., 26(12), 91-95.
- Yang, J., Xu, G.Y. and Han, D.Z. (2008), "Overall design and structural type selection of three-tower and two-span suspension bridge of Taizhou Changjiang River Highway Bridge", Bridge Construction, l, 37-40.
- Yang, J. (2009), "Technical feasibility and advantages of applying multi-tower and multi-span suspension bridge to construction of long bridge across straits", Bridge Construc., 2, 36-39.
- Yang, J. (2009), "Construction of long-span multi-tower suspension bridges innovated by mainland china", Bridge Construct., 6, 39-41.
- Yoshida, O., Okuda, M. and Moriya, T. (2004), "Structural characteristics and applicability of four-span suspension bridge", J. Bridge Eng., ASCE, 9(5), 453-463. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)1084-0702(2004)9:5(453)
- Zhu, B.J. (2007), Structural system research of multi-tower suspension bridge, Tongji University.
- Zhang, X.J. (2008), "Wind stability of three-tower suspension bridges", Wind Struct., 11(4), 341-344. https://doi.org/10.12989/was.2008.11.4.341
- Zhang, X.J. (2010), "Study of structural parameters on the aerodynamic stability of three-tower suspension bridge", Wind Struct., 13(5), 471-485. https://doi.org/10.12989/was.2010.13.5.471
- Zheng, K.F., Li, H.G. and Xu, R.D. (2009), "Rigidity characteristics of multi-span suspension bridges", Journal of Southwest Jiaotong University, 44(3), 342-346.