- Volume 14 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Comparison of Conventional DC-DC Converter and a Family of Diode-Assisted DC-DC Converter in Renewable Energy Applications
- Zhang, Yan (State Key Laboratory of Electrical Insulation and Power Equipment, School of Electrical Engineering, Xi'an Jiaotong University) ;
- Liu, Jinjun (State Key Laboratory of Electrical Insulation and Power Equipment, School of Electrical Engineering, Xi'an Jiaotong University) ;
- Ma, Xiaolong (State Key Laboratory of Electrical Insulation and Power Equipment, School of Electrical Engineering, Xi'an Jiaotong University) ;
- Feng, Junjie (State Key Laboratory of Electrical Insulation and Power Equipment, School of Electrical Engineering, Xi'an Jiaotong University)
- Received : 2013.04.27
- Accepted : 2013.10.31
- Published : 2014.03.20
In the conventional dc-dc converter, a pair of additional diode and the adjacent passive component capacitor/inductor can be added to the circuit with an X-shape connection, which generates a family of new topologies. The novel circuits, also called diode-assisted dc-dc converter, enhance the voltage boost/buck capability and have a great potential for high step-up/step-down power conversions. This paper mainly investigates and compares conventional dc-dc converter and diode-assisted dc-dc converter in wide range power conversion from the aspects of silicon devices, passive components requirements, electro-magnetic interference (EMI) and efficiency. Then, a comprehensive comparison example of a high step-up power conversion system was carried out. The two kinds of boost dc-dc converters operate under the same operation conditions. Mathematical analysis and experiment results verify that diode-assisted dc-dc converters are very promising for simultaneous high efficiency and high step-up/step-down power conversion in distributed power supply systems.
- J. Momoh, Renewable Energy and Storage, Wiley, New York, 2012.
- M. Nehrir and C. Wang, Modeling and Control of Fuel Cells: Distributed Generation Applications, Wiley, New York, 2009.
- X. Yu, M. R. Starke, and L. M. Tolbert, "Fuel cell power conditioning for electric power applications: a summary," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., Vol.1, No.5, pp. 643-656, Sep. 2007.
- S. Nguyen Van, W. Choi, and D.-W. Kim, "Non-isolated boost charger for the Li-Ion batteries suitable for fuel cell powered laptop computers," Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 13, No. 1, pp. 31-39, Jan. 2013. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2013.13.1.31
- W. Li and X. He, "Review of nonisolated high-step-up dc/dc converters in photovoltaic grid-connected applications," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 58, No. 4, pp. 1239-1250, Apr. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2010.2049715
- A. B. Jidin, N. R. B. N. Idris, and A. H. B. M. Yatim, "A wide-speed high torque capability utilizing overmodulation strategy in DTC of induction machines with constant switching frequency controller," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 27, No. 5, pp. 2566-2575, May. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2011.2168240
- A. M. Howlader, N. Urasaki, and A. Y. Saber, "Optimal PAM control for a buck boost DC-DC converter with a wide-speed-range of operation for a PMSM," Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 10, No. 5, pp. 477-484, Sep. 2010. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2010.10.5.477
- K. Shu-Kong and D. D. C. Lu, "A high step-down transformerless single-stage single-switch AC/DC converter," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 28, No.4 pp. 36-45, Apr. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2012.2195505
- K. Yao, Y. Mao, X. Ming, and F. C. Lee, "Tappedinductor buck converter for high-step-down DC-DC conversion," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 20, No.1 pp. 775-780, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2005.850920
- M. H. Rashid, Power electronics: circuits, devices, and applications, Prentice Hall, 2nd ed., New Jersey, 1988.
- H. Nomura, K. Fujiwara, and M. Yoshida, "A new DC-DC converter circuit with larger step-up/down ratio," PESC '06, pp. 1-7, Jun. 2006.
- E. H. Ismail, M. A. Al-Saffar, and A. J. Sabzali, "High conversion ratio DC-DC converters with reduced switch stress," IEEE Trans. Circuits Syst. I, Reg. Papers, Vol. 55, No. 7, pp. 2139-2151, Aug. 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TCSI.2008.918195
- E. H. Ismail, M. A. AI-Saffar, A. J. Sabzali, and A. A. Fardoun, "A family of single-switch PWM converters with high voltage-boosting conversion ratio," IEEE Trans. Circuits Syst. I, Reg. Papers, Vol. 55, No. 4, pp. 1159-1171, May 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TCSI.2008.916427
- O. Abutbul, A. Gherlitz, and Y. Berkovich, "Step-up switching-mode converter with high voltage gain using a switched-capacitor circuit," IEEE Trans. Circuits Syst. I, Fundam. Theory Appl., Vol. 50, No. 8, pp. 1098-1102, Aug. 2003. https://doi.org/10.1109/TCSI.2003.815206
- B.-D. Min, J.-P. Lee, J.-H. Kim, T.-J. Kim, D.-W. Yoo, K.-R. Ryu, J.-J. Kim, and E.-H. Song, "A novel gridconnected PV PCS with new high efficiency converter," Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 8, No. 4, pp. 309-316, Oct. 2008.
- Q. Zhao and F. C. Lee, "High-efficiency, high step-up DC-DC converters," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 18, No.1, pp. 65-73, Jan. 2003. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2002.807188
- R. J. Wai, C. Y. Lin, and C. C. Chu, "High step-up DC-DC converter for fuel cell generation system," in Proc. IEEE IECON'04, pp. 57-62, 2004.
- Y. Tao and S. J. Park, "A novel ripple-reduced DC-DC converter," Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 9, No. 3, pp. 396-402, May 2009.
- J.-H. Kim, D.-Y. Jung, S.-H. Park, and S.-W. Lee, "High efficiency soft-switching boost converter using a single switch," Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 9, No. 6, pp. 929-939, Nov. 2009.
- F. Z. Peng, "Z-Source inverter," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., Vol. 39, No. 2, pp. 504-510, Mar. 2003. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2003.808920
- F. Gao, P. C. Loh, R. Teodorescu, and F. Blaabjerg, "Diode-assisted buck-boost voltage-source inverters," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 24, No. 9, pp. 2057-2064, Sep. 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2009.2020551
- Y. Zhang and J. Liu, "Improved pulse-width modulation of diode-assisted buck-boost voltage source inverter," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 28, No. 8, pp. 3675-3699, Aug. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2012.2227816
- F. Gao, C. Liang, and P. C. Loh, "Buck-boost currentsource inverters with diode-inductor network," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., Vol. 45, No. 2, pp. 794-804, Apr. 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2009.2013596
- M. Shen, J. Wang, and F. Z. Peng, "Comparison of traditional inverters and Z-Source inverter for fuel cell vehicles," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 22, No. 4, pp. 1453-1463, Jul. 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2007.900505
- M. Mohr, W. T. Franke, and B. Wittig, "Converter systems for fuel cells in the medium power range - A comparative study," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 57, No. 6, pp. 2024-2032, Jun. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2010.2044730
- Y. Zhang, J. Liu, and C. Zhang, "Comparison of traditional two-stage buck-boost voltage source inverter and diode-assisted buck-boost voltage source inverter," in Proc. Appl. Power Electron. Conf. Expo., pp. 141-148, 2012.
- J. W. Kolar and S. D. Round, "Analytical calculation of the RMS current stress on the DC-link capacitor of voltage-PWM converter systems," IEE Proceedings-Electric Power Applications, pp. 535-543, 2006.
- A. M. Bazzi, P. T. Krein, and J. W. Kimball, "IGBT and diode loss estimation under hysteresis switching," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 27, No. 3, pp. 1044-1048, Mar. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2011.2164267
- F. Blaabjerg, J. Pedersen, and A. Elkjaer, "An extended model of power losses in hard-switched IGBT inverters," in Proc. 31st IAS Annu. Meeting, Conf. Record of IEEE Ind. Appl. Conf., pp. 3006-3012, 1996.
- D. Graovac and M. Purschel, "IGBT power losses calculation using the data-sheet parameters," Infineon Neubiberg, Germany, Tech. Rep., Appl.Notes, pp. 3-6, Jul. 2006.
- Study on dynamic characteristic of wind turbine emulator based on PMSM vol.97, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.renene.2016.06.034
- Dynamic Performance Improvement of Diode–capacitor-Based High Step-up DC–DC Converter Through Right-Half-Plane Zero Elimination vol.32, pp.8, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2016.2616411
- An assessment on performance of DC–DC converters for renewable energy applications vol.58, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rser.2015.12.057
- A Family of Magnetic Coupling DC-DC Converters With Zero-Voltage-Switching Over Wide Input Voltage Range and Load Variation vol.16, pp.5, 2016, https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2016.16.5.1639
- Input-Constrained Current Controller for DC/DC Boost Converter vol.16, pp.6, 2016, https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2016.16.6.2016
- A novel high-gain DC–DC converter with non-linear carrier controller for photovoltaic applications pp.2050-4578, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1177/0020720919825809