- Volume 4 Issue 1
The objective of this paper is to present the implementation of a joint modeling system able to evaluate the propagation of the polluting agents in the marine environment. The system is composed by circulation model (Mohid) and a spectral wave model (SWAN). The results coming from the circulation model are provided as input to the SWAN simulations. Following this target the Mohid water circulation model was implemented and calibrated in the Black Sea basin. The current simulations were run for one year (2010) with a time step of 24 hours, using wind fields from ECMWF. The results concerning the current fields were introduced into SWAN, and the difference between the results of the SWAN simulations with and without the current input from Mohid was assessed. In this regard, 10 points where the significant wave height difference is higher were considered and analyzed. The conclusion of the work is that such a joint system provides more reliable results concerning the wave and current conditions in the Black Sea as it is very useful in providing the support in the case of the environmental alerts that may occur in marine environments.
Numerical models;Black Sea;Mohid;SWAN;currents and waves
- L. Cancino, and R. Neves "Hydrodynamic and sediment suspension modelling in estuarine systems. Part II: Application to the Western Scheldt and Gironde estuaries", Journal of Ma-rine Systems, vol. 22, pp. 117-131, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0924-7963(99)00036-6
- J. J. Taboada, M. Ruiz-Villarreal, M. Gomez-Gesteira, P. Montero, A. P. Santos, V. Perez-Villar and R. Prego, "Estudio del transporte en la Ría de Pontevedra (NOEspana) mediante un modelo 3D: Resultados preliminares, In: Estudos de Biogeoquimica na zona costeira iberica." Servicio de Publicaciones da Univer-sidade de Aveiro in press, 2000.
- P. Montero, M. Gomez-Gesteira, J. J. Taboada, M. Ruiz-Villarreal., A. P. Santos, R. J. J. Neves, R. Prego and V. Perez-Villar, "On residual cir-culation of Vigo Ria using a 3D baroclinic model", Boletin Instituto Espanol de Oceano-grafia, no 15., Suplemento 1, 1999.
- Rusu, E., Conley, D.C. and Coelho, E.F., 2008: "A Hybrid Framework for Predicting Waves and Longshore Currents." Journal of Marine Systems, Volume 69, Issues 1-2, pp 59-73 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmarsys.2007.02.009
- P. C. Leitao, "Modelo de Dispersao La-grangeano Tridimensional." Ms. Sc. Thesis, Universidade Tecnica de Lisboa, Instituto Su-perior Tecnico, 1996.
- R. Neves, H. Coelho, P. Leitão, H. Martins, and A. Santos, "A numerical investigation of the slope current along the western European margin.", Computational Methods in Water Resources XII, vol. 2, pp. 369-376, 1998.
- Chippada S., C. Dawson, M. Wheeler, (1998) - Agodonov-type finite volume method for the system of shallow water equations, Computer methods in applied mechanics and engineering. 151(01): 105-130 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0045-7825(97)00108-4
- Stelling, G.S. and Leendertse, J.J., 1992. Ap-proximation of convective processes by cyclic AOI methods, Proceeding 2nd international conference on estuarine and coastal modeling, ASCE Tampa, Florida, 771-782.
- Booij, N., and Holthuijsen, L.H.,1987. Propa-gation of ocean waves in discrete spectral wave models, Journal of Computational Physics, vol. 68, 307-326. https://doi.org/10.1016/0021-9991(87)90060-X
- Holthuijsen, L.H., Herman, A. and Booij, N., 2003. Phase-decoupled refractiondi difraction for spectral wave models, Coastal Engineering, 49, 291-305 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0378-3839(03)00065-6
- Rusu, E., Rusu, L. and Guedes Soares, C., 2006: Assessing of extreme wave conditions in the Black Sea with numerical models, the 9th International Workshop on Wave Hindcasting and Forecasting, Victoria, Canada, September, 2006.
- Rusu, E, 2009: Wave energy assessments in the Black Sea, Journal of Marine Science and Technology, Vol. 14, pp. 359-372. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00773-009-0053-6
- Holthuijsen, H., 2007. Waves in Oceanic and Coastal Waters, Cambridge University Press, pp. 387.
- Ghahramani, Saeed (2000). Fundamentals of Probability (2nd Edition). Prentice Hall: New Jersey. p. 438.
- Szekely, G.J. and Mori, T.F. (2001) "A charac-teristic measure of asymmetry and its applica-tion for testing diagonal sym-metry", Communications in Statistics - Theory and Methods 30/8&9, 1633-1639. https://doi.org/10.1081/STA-100105689
- Hosking, J.R.M. (2006). "On the characterization of distributions by their L-moments". Journal of Statistical Planning and Inference 136: 193-198 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jspi.2004.06.004