- Volume 4 Issue 1
A three-dimensional multidirectional nonlinear numerical wave tank (NWT) based on the Navier-Stokes equations and the Finite Volume Method (FVM) is developed by using the two-phase hydrodynamic flow solver naoe-FOAM-SJTU based on the open source toolbox OpenFOAM. The free surface is capturing with the Volume Of Fluids (VOF). The directional wave including Stokes wave, solitary wave and nonlinear wave are simulated and verified. The multi-directional waves are also simulated with particular wave spectral such as JONSWAP and wave directional spreading function. The obtained numerical results show the capability of the solver to generate different type of multidirectional nonlinear waves accurately. Meanwhile, it implies that the presented NWT can easily extend to model the wave-structures interactions, which will be great help to the offshore structures design.
Multi-directional waves;Numerical wave tank;FVM;VOF;naoe-FOAM-SJTU solver
- Michael S. Longuet-Higgins and E.D Cokelet. The deformation of steep surface waves on water. I. a numerical method of computation, Proceedings of the Royal Society of London. Series A, Mathematical and Physical Sciences, 350 (1660) (1976) 1-26.
- Stephan T. Grilli, J. Skourup and I.A. Svendsen. An Efficient Boundary Element Method for Nonlinear Water Waves, Engineering Analysis with Boundary Elements, 6 (2) (1989) 97-107. https://doi.org/10.1016/0955-7997(89)90005-2
- Guoxiong Wu and R. Eatock Taylor. Finite element analysis of two dimensional non-linear transient water waves, Applied Ocean Research, 16 (1994) 363-372. https://doi.org/10.1016/0141-1187(94)00029-8
- Yuxin Zhang and Decheng Wan. Apply MPS method to simulate motion of floating body in-teraction with solitary wave, Proceedings of the 7th International Workshop on Hydrodynam-ics, Shanghai, China, September 16-19, (2011) 275-279.
- Qingwei Ma and S Yan. Quasi ALE finite element method for nonlinear water waves, Journal of Computational Physics, 212 (2006) 52-72. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcp.2005.06.014
- Jongchun Park, Moohyun Kim and Hideaki Miyata. Fully non-linear free-surface simulations by a 3D viscous numerical wave tank, International Journal for Numerical Methods in Fluids, 29 (6) (1999) 685-703. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0363(19990330)29:6<685::AID-FLD807>3.0.CO;2-D
- Gunther F. Clauss, C.E. Schmittner and R. Stuck. Numerical wave tank-simulation of extreme waves for the investigation of structural response, Proceedings of the 24th International Conference on Offshore Mechanics and Arctic Engineering, Halkidiki, Greece, June 12-17, (2005).
- Zhirong Shen, Hongjian Cao, Haixuan Ye and Decheng Wan. The manual of CFD solver for ship and ocean engineering flows: naoe-FOAM-SJTU. Technical report, No.2012SR118110, Shanghai Jiao Tong University (2012).
- Zhirong Shen and Decheng Wan. RANS Com-putations of Added Resistance and Motions of Ship in Head Waves, International Journal of Offshore and Polar Engineering, 23(4) (2013), 263-271
- Yuanchuan Liu and Decheng Wan. Numerical Simulation of Motion Response of an Offshore Observation Platform in Waves. Journal of Marine Science and Application, 12(1) 2013, 89-97 https://doi.org/10.1007/s11804-013-1171-z
- Hongjian Cao, Decheng Wan and Chi Yang. Numerical Simulation of Violent Flow of 3-D Dam-Breaking Wave around Square Cylinder. Chinese Journal of Hydrodynamics, 28(4) 2013, 414-422
- Shuxue Liu, Jinxuan Li and Yisan Sun. Numer-ical investigation of multidirectional wave fo-cusing properties, Proceedings of the 8th Inter-national Offshore and Polar Engineering Con-ference, Vancouver, BC, Canada, July 6-11, (2008) 8-15.
- Ruche H. Computational fluid dynamics of dispersed two-phase flows at high phase fractions, Ph.D. Thesis, Imperial College of Science, Technology and Medicine (2002)
- Jesper Larsen and Henry Dancy. Open bounda-ries in short wave simulations - a new ap-proach, Coastal Engineering, 7 (1983) 285-297. https://doi.org/10.1016/0378-3839(83)90022-4
- Cox D.T. and Ortega J.A. Laboratory observa-tions of green water overtopping a fixed deck, Ocean Engineering, 29 (14) (2002) 1827-1840. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0029-8018(02)00011-2
- Numerical simulations of viscous flow around the obliquely towed KVLCC2M model in deep and shallow water vol.28, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5574/IJOSE.2014.4.1.049
- URANS simulations of ship motion responses in long-crest irregular waves vol.26, pp.3, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5574/IJOSE.2014.4.1.049