- Volume 54 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Serum cardiac troponin I concentrations in clinically normal and Dirofilaria immitis infected Korean Jindo dogs
- Hwang, Soo-Hyen (Laboratory of Veterinary Internal Medicine, College of Veterinary Medicine, Chungnam National University) ;
- Park, Hyung-Jin (Laboratory of Veterinary Internal Medicine, College of Veterinary Medicine, Chungnam National University) ;
- Seo, Kyoung-Won (Laboratory of Veterinary Internal Medicine, College of Veterinary Medicine, Chungnam National University) ;
- Lee, Sang-Eun (Division of Malaria & Parasitic Diseases, Korea National Institute of Health, Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention) ;
- Song, Kun-Ho (Laboratory of Veterinary Internal Medicine, College of Veterinary Medicine, Chungnam National University)
- Received : 2013.11.22
- Accepted : 2014.01.22
- Published : 2014.03.31
This study was conducted to determine the serum cardiac troponin I (cTnI) concentrations in clinically normal (uninfected) Korean Jindo dogs and those infected with Dirofilaria (D.) immitis. Forty Korean Jindo dogs (22 females, 18 males) were obtained from two kennels in the Boryeong area of Chungnam Province and the Daejeon area, Korea. Significantly higher cTnI concentrations were observed in D. immitis-infected dogs than clinically normal dogs. cTnI testing in addition to thoracic radiography, echocardiography, and electrocardiography shows promise as an additional method for diagnosis of heartworm infection.
- Gazyagci S, Dogru MT, Yagi BB. Cardiac troponin I levels in dogs with dirofilariosis and without dirofilariosis. Asian J Anim Vet Adv 2011, 6, 738-743. https://doi.org/10.3923/ajava.2011.738.743
- Healey JS, Davies RF, Smith SJ, Davies RA, Ooi DS. Prognostic use of cardiac troponin T and troponin I in patients with heart failure. Can J Cardiol 2003, 19, 383-386.
- Lee JC, Lee CY, Shin SS, Lee CG. A survey of canine heartworm infections among German shepherds in South Korea. Korean J Parasitol 1996, 34, 225-231. https://doi.org/10.3347/kjp.1918.104.22.168
- McCall JW, Genchi C, Kramer LH, Guerrero J, Venco L. Heartworm disease in animals and humans. Adv Parasitol 2008, 66, 193-285. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0065-308X(08)00204-2
- Nelson RW, Couto CG. Small Animal Internal Medicine. 4th ed. pp. 169-183, Mosby, St. Louis, 2009.
- Sleeper MM, Clifford CA, Laster LL. Cardiac troponin I in normal dog and cat. J Vet Intern Med 2001, 15, 501-503. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1939-1676.2001.tb01582.x
- Song KH, Lee SE, Hayasaki M, Shiramizu K, Kim DH, Cho KW. Seroprevalence of canine dirofilariosis in South Korea. Vet Parasitol 2003, 114, 231-236. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0304-4017(03)00137-7
- Song KH, Park JE, Lee DH, Lee SH, Shin HJ. Serological update and molecular characterization of Dirofilaria immitis in dogs, South Korea. Res Vet Sci 2010, 88, 467-469. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rvsc.2009.10.007
- immunoreactive proteins in serodiagnosis pp.01419838, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1111/pim.12598