- Volume 54 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Focal form of acquired myasthenia gravis with megaesophagus in a Yorkshire terrier dog
- Hahn, Tae-Yeon (Department of Veterinary Internal Medicine, College of Veterinary Medicine, Konkuk University) ;
- Kang, Min-Hee (Department of Veterinary Internal Medicine, College of Veterinary Medicine, Konkuk University) ;
- Eom, Ki-Dong (Department of Veterinary Radiology, College of Veterinary Medicine, Konkuk University) ;
- Park, Hee-Myung (Department of Veterinary Internal Medicine, College of Veterinary Medicine, Konkuk University)
- Received : 2013.02.18
- Accepted : 2013.07.02
- Published : 2014.03.31
A 12-year-old, castrated male Yorkshire terrier dog presented with frequent regurgitations that had begun 45 days earlier and become more progressive. Radiographs revealed an air-trap region behind the cranial esophageal sphincter muscle in the esophagus and esophagographies with barium contrast showed mild esophageal dilation with decreased motility. Esophageal motility increased within 5 min of neostigmine methylsulfate administration and acetylcholine receptor antibodies titer increased to beyond the normal range. Based on these findings, acquired myasthenia gravis with focal form was diagnosed, making this the first such case diagnosed by an acetylcholine receptor antibody test in Korea.
- Dewey CW. Myasthenia gravis: disorders of the neuromuscular junction. In: A Practical Guide to Canine & Feline Neurology. 2nd ed. pp. 530, Wiley-Blackwell, Ames, 2008.
- Dewey CW, Bailey CS, Shelton GD, Kass PH, Cardinet GH 3rd. Clinical forms of acquired myasthenia gravis in dogs: 25 cases (1988-1995). J Vet Intern Med 1997, 11, 50-57. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1939-1676.1997.tb00073.x
- Dewey CW, Shelton GD, Bailey CS, Willard, MD, Podell M, Collins RL. Neuromuscular dysfunction in five dogs with acquired myasthenia gravis and presumptive hypothyroidism. Prog Vet Neurol 1995, 6, 117-123.
- Hopkins AL, Howard JF, Wheeler SJ, Kornegay JN. Stimulated single fibre electromyography in normal dogs. J Small Anim Pract 1993, 34, 271-276. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1748-5827.1993.tb02685.x
- Jung DI, Park C, Kim JW, Kim HJ, Kang BT, Lim CY, Kang MG, Park HM. Juvenile onset acquired myasthenia gravis in a shih-tzu dog. Korean J Vet Res 2006, 46, 71-73.
- Kang BT, Yoo JH, Park HJ, Jung DI, Park C, Gu SH, Jeon HW, Kim JW, Kim HJ, Lim CY, Cho SK, Heo R, Lee SY, Kim JH, Han SK, Sung JH, Park HM. Acute fulminating myasthenia gravis in a shih-tzu dog. J Vet Clin 2006, 23, 465-468.
- Khorzad R, Whelan M, Sisson A, Shelton GD. Myasthenia gravis in dogs with an emphasis on treatment and critical care management. J Vet Emerg Crit Care 2011, 21, 193-208. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1476-4431.2011.00636.x
- Krotje LJ, Fix AS, Potthoff AD. Acquired myasthenia gravis and cholangiocelluar carcinoma in a dog. J Am Vet Med Assoc 1990, 197, 488-490.
- Lee HC, Jeon JH, Cho KW, Kang BT, Jung DI. Megaoesophagus secondary to myasthenia gravis in three dogs. J Vet Clin 2012, 29, 107-111.
- Lee SG, Hoh WP, Kim YJ, Kim TW, Yoo JH, Eom KD, Oh TH, Lee KW. A case of acquired myasthenia gravis in German shepherd dog. J Vet Clin 2005, 22, 392-395.
- Lindstrom J, Shelton D, Fujii Y. Myasthenia gravis. Adv Immunol 1988, 42, 233-284. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0065-2776(08)60847-0
- Masroujeh R, Otrock ZK, Yamout B, Jabbour MN, Bazarbachi A. Myasthenia gravis developing in a patient with CNS lymphoma. Int J Hematol 2010, 91, 522-524. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12185-010-0503-2
- Oh SJ, Kim DE, Kuruoglu R, Bradley RJ, Dwyer D. Diagnostic sensitivity of the laboratory tests in myasthenia gravis. Muscle Nerve 1992, 15, 720-724. https://doi.org/10.1002/mus.880150616
- Shelton GD. Myasthenia gravis: lessons from the past 10 years. J small Anim Pract 1998, 39, 368-372. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1748-5827.1998.tb03734.x
- Shelton GD. Acquired myasthenia gravis: what we have learned from experimental and spontaneous animal models. Vet Immunol Immunopathol 1999, 69, 239-249. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0165-2427(99)00058-6
- Shelton GD. Myasthenia gravis and disorders of neuromuscular transmission. Vet Clin North Am Small Anim Pract 2002, 32, 189-206. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0195-5616(03)00085-8
- Taylor SM. Selected disorders of muscle and the neuromuscular junction. Vet Clin North Am Small Anim Prac 2000, 30, 59-75. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0195-5616(00)50003-5
- Webb AA, Taylor SM, McPhee L. Focal myasthenia gravis in a dog. Can Vet J 1997, 38, 493-495.