- Volume 10 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
South Korean Culture Goes Latin America: Social network analysis of Kpop Tweets in Mexico
- Choi, Seong Cheol ;
- Meza, Xanat Vargas ;
- Park, Han Woo
- Received : 2013.11.11
- Accepted : 2014.02.21
- Published : 2014.03.28
Previous studies of the Korean wave have focused mainly on fan clubs by taking an ethnographic approach in the context of countries in Southeast Asia and, in a minor extension, Europe. This study fills the gap in the literature by providing a social network analysis of Tweets in the context of Mexico. We used the Twitter API in order to collect Twitter comments with the hashtag #kpop from March to August 2012, analyzing them with a set of webometric methodologies. The results indicate that #kpop power Twitterians in Mexico were more likely to be related to the public television broadcast. The sent Tweets were usually related to their programs and promotion for Kpop artists. These Tweets tended to be positive, and according to URLs, not only Kpop but also Korean dramas had considerable influence on the Korean wave in Mexico.
K-pop;Kpop;Mexico;Korean Wave;Twitter;Social Network Analysis
- Instituto de los Mexicanos en el Exterior, "Estadistica de la poblacion mexicana en el mundo 2012", 2012, viewed March 11 2014. http://ime.gob.mx/en/resto-del-mundo.
- D. Boyd, S. Golder, and G. Lotan, "Tweet, Tweet, Retweet: Conversational Aspects of Retweeting on Twitter," Paper presented at the HICSS-43. IEEE Computer Society, Kauai, HI, 2010.
- A. Cueva, "Televisa y las telenovelas coreanas," Milenio, 2013. http://www.milenio.com/cdb/doc/impreso/9188387.
- D. Grey, "K pop llego a Mexico," Viewed February 3, 2014. http://greylive.blogspot.kr/2011/04/k-pop-llegomexico.html.
- D. Hansen, B. Shneiderman, and M. A. Smith, "Analyzing social media networks with NodeXL: Insights from a connected world," Morgan Kaufmann, 2010.
- A. Hermida, "Twittering the news: The emergence of ambient journalism," Journalism Practice, 4(3), 2010, pp. 297-308. https://doi.org/10.1080/17512781003640703
- Instituto Nacional de Estadistica y Geografia, "Censo de Poblacion y Vivienda 2010," 2010. Viewed March 11 2014. ttp://www.inegi.org.mx/sistemas/olap/Proyectos/bd/censos/cpv2010/PT.asp?s=est&c=27770&proy=cpv10_pt.
- Instituto Nacional de Estadistica y Geografia, "Poblacion extranjera residente en Mexico por pais de nacimiento según sexo. Anos censales de 1895 a 2000," 2009, viewed March 11 2014. http://www.inegi.gob.mx/prod_serv/contenidos/espanol/bvinegi/productos/integracion/pais/historicas10/Tema1_Poblacion.pdf.
- S. Jung, "K-pop, Indonesian Fandom, and Social Media," In Reid, R. A and S. Gaston (eds.), "Race and Ethnicity in Fandom," Transformative Works and Cultures, no. 8, doi:10.3983/twc.2011.0289, 2011. https://doi.org/10.3983/twc.2011.0289
- E. M. Kim, D. H. Lee, Y. H. Lim, and I. K. Jung, SNS revolution of the myths and the real, Nanam, 2011.
- E. M. Kim and J. Ryoo, "South Korean Culture Goes Global: K-Pop and the Korean Wave," Korean Social Science Journal, XXXIV, no. 1, pp. 117-152. 2007, http://kossrec.org/board/imgfile/KSSJ%20Vol.34.no.1%28Eun%20Mee%20Kim&Jiwon%20Ryoo%29%29.pdf.
- M. K. Kim, W. S. Kim, S. R. Kim, G. L. Sin, and S. Y. Sin, "A study of diffusion social media power Twitterian," Journal of East-West Communication Council, vol. 16, 2013, pp. 1-33.
- S. O'Riordan, J. Feller, and T. Nagle, "The impact of social network sites on the consumption of cultural goods," In ECIS, 2011.
- H. Kwak, C. Lee, H. Park, and S. Moon, "What is Twitter, a social network or a news media?," In Proceedings of the 19th international conference on World Wide Web, 2010, pp. 591-600, ACM.
- B. S. Lee, S. J. Kim, and B. Y. Hwang, "Analyzing the Credibility of the Location Information Provided by Twitter Users," Journal of Korea Multimedia Society, vol. 15, no. 7, 2012, pp. 910-919. https://doi.org/10.9717/kmms.2012.15.7.910
- D. Lee, J. Y. Park, J. Kim, J. Kim, and J. Moon, (2011). "Understanding music sharing behavior on social network services", Online Information Review, vol. 35 iss. 5, 2011, pp.716-733. https://doi.org/10.1108/14684521111176462
- H. W. Park and L. Leydesdorff, "Understanding the KrKwic: A computer program for the analysis of Korean text," Journal of the Korean Data Analysis Society,6(5), 2004, pp. 1377-1387.
- H. W. Park, "Network Analysis of Politician Blogs in South Korea: 17th National Assembly Members," Korean Journal of Journalism & Communication Studies, vol. 51, no. 3, 2007, pp. 388-409.
- C. R. Ryu, "Build a roadmap for the spread of Korean Wave Studies," Written in Korean, 2008.
- Secretaria de Economia, "Acuerdos y tratados comerciales suscritos por Mexico," 2013, http://www.economia.gob.mx/files/comunidad_negocios/comercio_exterior/acuerdos_y_tratados_comerciales_de_MExico.pdf.
- D. B. Sim and K. W. Roh, "Youtube and Girls Generation Fandom," Journal of the Korea Contents Association, vol. 12, no. 1, 2012, pp. 125-137.
- J. Sutton, L. Palen, and I. Shklovski, "Backchannels on the front lines: Emergent uses of social media in the 2007 southern California wildfires," In Proceedings of the 5th International ISCRAM Conference, Washington, DC., May 2008, pp. 624-632.
- H. Y. Yoon and H. W. Park, "Pattern of Twitter use by Korean Politicians: An Analysis of Politician's Twitter Message and Name-Referring Message Network," The Journal of Society for Humanities Studies in East Asia, vol. 20, 2011, pp. 559-582.
- Network Analysis of East Asian Research in South Korea for the 2004-2013 Period vol.11, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5392/IJoC.2015.11.1.052
- The networked cultural diffusion of Korean wave vol.39, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1108/OIR-07-2014-0160
- Globalization of cultural products: a webometric analysis of Kpop in Spanish-speaking countries vol.49, pp.4, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11135-014-0047-2
- Analysis of a Korea-based Language Teacher Organization Public Social Networking Service vol.12, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5392/IJoC.2016.12.2.066
- Transcultural fandom of the Korean Wave in Latin America: through the lens of cultural intimacy and affinity space pp.1460-3675, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1177/0163443718799403