- Volume 10 Issue 1
Usually, cloud storage systems are developed based on DFS (Distributed File System) for scalability and reliability reasons. DFSs are designed to improve throughput than IO response time, and therefore, they are appropriate for batch processing jobs. Recently, cloud storage systems have been used for update intensive applications such as OLTP and so on. However, in DFSs, in-place update operations are not carefully considered. Therefore, when updates are frequent, I/O performance of DFSs are degraded significantly. DFSs with RAID techniques have been proposed to improve their performance and reliability. Their performance degradation caused by frequent update operations can be more significant. In this paper, we propose an in-place update method for DFS RAID exploiting a differential logging technique. The proposed method reduces the I/O costs, network traffic and XOR operation costs for RAID. We demonstrate the efficiency of our proposed in-place update method through various experiments.
DFS;RAID;In-place update;Differential logging
- B. Fan, W. Tantisiriroj, L. Xiao, and G. Gibson, "DiskReduce: Replication as a Prelude to Erasure Coding in Data-Intensive Scalable Computing," Proc. GRID, 2012, pp. 174-183.
- D. Borthakur, "The Hadoop Distributed File System: Architecture and Design," Hadoop Project Website, 2007.
- B. Fan, W. Tantisiriroj, RAID for Data-Intensive Scalable Computing," Proc. PDSW. 2009. pp. 6-10.
- L. Rizzo, "Effective Erasure Codes for Reliable Computer Communication Protocols," ACM SIGCOMM Computer Communication Review, vol. 27, 1997, pp. 24-36. https://doi.org/10.1145/263876.263881
- S. P. Jamms," "A Tutorial on Reed-Solomon Coding for Fault-Tolerance in RAIID-like Systems," Proc. Software Practice and Experience, 1997, pp. 995-1012.
- S. Ghemawat, H. Gobioff, and S. Leung, "The Google File System," Proc. ACM SIGOPS Operating Systems Review, 2003, pp. 29-43.
- S. P. James, "The RAID-6 Liberation codes," Proc. The 6th Usenix Conference on file and Storage Technologies, 2008, pp. 97-110
- S. P. James, "The RAID-6 Liber8tion Code," International Journal of High Performance Computing Applications, vol. 23, 2009, pp. 242-251 https://doi.org/10.1177/1094342009106191
- S. P. James, L. B. Adam, T. Bradley, and V. Zanden, "Minimum Density RAID-6 Codes," ACM Transactions on Storage, vol. 6, 2011.
- Y. Min, H. Kim, and Y. Kim " Distributed File System for Cloud Computing," Proc. The Korean Institute of Information Scientists and Engineers, 2009, pp. 86-94.
- B. Gu, "RAID Technology Introduction," Proc. The Korean Institute of Information Scientists and Engineers, 2009, pp. 61-66.
Supported by : National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF)