- Volume 17 Issue 1
Typically, massive rotator cuff tears have stiff and retracted tendon with poor muscle quality, in such cases orthopaedic surgeons are confronted with big challenging to restore the cuff to its native footprint. Furthermore, even with some restoration of the footprint, it is related with a high re-tear rate due to less tension free repair and less tendon coverage. In this tough circumstance, the partial repair has yielded satisfactory outcomes at relatively short follow-up by re-creating the transverse force couple of the rotator cuff. Through this partial repair, the massive rotator cuff tear can be converted to the "functional rotator cuff tear" and provide improvement in pain and functional outcomes in patient's shoulder.
Shoulder;Massive rotator cuff tear;Partial repair;Arthroscopy
- Ahmad CS, Kleweno C, Jacir AM, et al. Biomechanical performance of rotator cuff repairs with humeral rotation: a new rotator cuff repair failure model. Am J Sports Med. 2008;36(5):888-92. https://doi.org/10.1177/0363546508316285
- Gerber C, Blumenthal S, Curt A, Werner CM. Effect of selective experimental suprascapular nerve block on abduction and external rotation strength of the shoulder. J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2007;16(6):815-20. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jse.2007.02.120
- Burkhart SS, Nottage WM, Ogilvie-Harris DJ, Kohn HS, Pachelli A. Partial repair of irreparable rotator cuff tears. Arthroscopy. 1994;10(4):363-70. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0749-8063(05)80186-0
- Duralde XA, Bair B. Massive rotator cuff tears: the result of partial rotator cuff repair. J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2005;14(2):121-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jse.2004.06.015
- Wellmann M, Lichtenberg S, da Silva G, Magosch P, Habermeyer P. Results of arthroscopic partial repair of large retracted rotator cuff tears. Arthroscopy. 2013;29(8):1275-82. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.arthro.2013.05.006
- Iagulli ND, Field LD, Hobgood ER, Ramsey JR, Savoie FH 3rd. Comparison of partial versus complete arthroscopic repair of massive rotator cuff tears. Am J Sports Med. 2012;40(5):1022-6. https://doi.org/10.1177/0363546512438763
- Hansen ML, Otis JC, Johnson JS, Cordasco FA, Craig EV, Warren RF. Biomechanics of massive rotator cuff tears: implications for treatment. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2008;90(2):316-25. https://doi.org/10.2106/JBJS.F.00880
- Kim SJ, Kim SH, Lee SK, Seo JW, Chun YM. Arthroscopic repair of massive contracted rotator cuff tears: aggressive release with anterior and posterior interval slides do not improve cuff healing and integrity. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2013;95(16):1482-8. https://doi.org/10.2106/JBJS.L.01193
- Galatz LM, Ball CM, Teefey SA, Middleton WD, Yamaguchi K. The outcome and repair integrity of completely arthroscopically repaired large and massive rotator cuff tears. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2004;86-A(2):219-24.
- Burkhart SS. Arthroscopic treatment of massive rotator cuff tears. Clinical results and biomechanical rationale. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1991;(267):45-56.
- Burkhart SS. Reconciling the paradox of rotator cuff repair versus debridement: a unified biomechanical rationale for the treatment of rotator cuff tears. Arthroscopy. 1994;10(1):4-19. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0749-8063(05)80288-9
- Oh JH, McGarry MH, Jun BJ, et al. Restoration of shoulder biomechanics according to degree of repair completion in a cadaveric model of massive rotator cuff tear: importance of margin convergence and posterior cuff fixation. Am J Sports Med. 2012;40(11):2448-53. https://doi.org/10.1177/0363546512458775
- Burkhart SS, Athanasiou KA, Wirth MA. Margin convergence: a method of reducing strain in massive rotator cuff tears. Arthroscopy. 1996;12(3):335-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0749-8063(96)90070-5
- Parsons IM, Apreleva M, Fu FH, Woo SL. The effect of rotator cuff tears on reaction forces at the glenohumeral joint. J Orthop Res. 2002;20(3):439-46. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0736-0266(01)00137-1
- Kim SJ, Lee IS, Kim SH, Lee WY, Chun YM. Arthroscopic partial repair of irreparable large to massive rotator cuff tears. Arthroscopy. 2012;28(6):761-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.arthro.2011.11.018
- Thompson WO, Debski RE, Boardman ND 3rd, et al. A biomechanical analysis of rotator cuff deficiency in a cadaveric model. Am J Sports Med. 1996;24(3):286-92. https://doi.org/10.1177/036354659602400307
- Bedi A, Dines J, Warren RF, Dines DM. Massive tears of the rotator cuff. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2010;92(9):1894-908. https://doi.org/10.2106/JBJS.I.01531
- Cofield RH. Subscapular muscle transposition for repair of chronic rotator cuff tears. Surg Gynecol Obstet. 1982;154(5):667-72.
- Gerber C, Fuchs B, Hodler J. The results of repair of massive tears of the rotator cuff. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2000;82(4):505-15.
- Goutallier D, Postel JM, Bernageau J, Lavau L, Voisin MC. Fatty muscle degeneration in cuff ruptures. Pre- and postoperative evaluation by CT scan. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1994;(304):78-83.
- Fuchs B, Weishaupt D, Zanetti M, Hodler J, Gerber C. Fatty degeneration of the muscles of the rotator cuff: assessment by computed tomography versus magnetic resonance imaging. J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 1999;8(6):599-605. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1058-2746(99)90097-6
- Omid R, Lee B. Tendon transfers for irreparable rotator cuff tears. J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2013;21(8):492-501. https://doi.org/10.5435/JAAOS-21-08-492
- Arthroscopic Partial Repair of Irreparable Rotator Cuff Tears vol.43, pp.8, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1177/0363546515585122