- Volume 33 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Effects of Various Amendments on Heavy Metal Stabilization in Acid and Alkali Soils
여러 안정화제가 산성 및 알칼리 토양에서 중금속 안정화에 미치는 영향
- Received : 2013.12.17
- Accepted : 2014.02.04
- Published : 2014.03.31
BACKGROUND: Recent studies using many amendments for heavy metal stabilization in soil were conducted in order to find out new materials. But, the studies accounting for the use of appropriate amendments considering soil pH remain incomplete. The aim of this study was to investigate the effects of initial soil pH on the efficiency of various amendments. METHODS AND RESULTS: Acid soil and alkali soil contaminated with heavy metals were collected from the agricultural soils affected by the abandoned mine sites nearby. Three different types of amendments were selected with hypothesis being different in stabilization mechanisms; organic matter, lime stone and iron, and added with different combination. For determining the changes in the extractable heavy metals, water soluble, Mehlich-3, Toxicity Characteristic Leaching Procedure, Simple Bioavailability Extraction Test method were applied as chemical assessments for metal stabilization. For biological assessments, soil respiration and root elongation of bok choy (Brassica campestris ssp. Chinensis Jusl.) were determined. CONCLUSION: It was revealed that lime stone reduced heavy metal mobility in acid soil by increasing soil pH and iron was good at stabilizing heavy metals by supplying adsorption sites in alkali soil. Organic matter was a good source in terms of supplying nutrients, but it was concerning when accounting for increasing metal availability.
Acid/alkali soil;Amendments;Bioavailability;Heavy metal;Stabilization
- Alef, K., Nannipieri, P., 1995. Methods in applied soil microbiology and biochemistry, Academic Press, London, UK, pp. 216-217.
- Baumgarten, A., Spiegel, H., 2004. Phytotoxicity (Plant tolerance), Ecotox. Environ. Safe 30, 221-251.
- Black, C.A., Evans, D.D., Ensminger, L.E., White, J.L., 1965. American Society of Agronomy, in: Methods of soil analysis, Clark, F.E. (Eds), Madison, Wisconsin, USA, pp. 891-901.
- Boonamnuayvitaya, V., Chaiya, C., Tanthapanichakoon, W., Jarudilokkul, S., 2004. Removal of heavy metals by adsorbent prepared from pyrolyzed coffee residues and clay, Sep. Pur. Technol. 35, 11-22. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1383-5866(03)00110-2
- Borreli, R. C., Visconti, A., Mennella, C., Anese, M., Fogliano, V., 2002. Chemical characterization and antioxidant properties of coffee melanoidins, J. Agric. Food Chem. 50, 6527-6533. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf025686o
- Choi, M.K., Chiang, M.H., 2003. Soil conditioner treatment and growth responses of Artemisia princeps and Helianthus annuus for ecological restoration in abandoned zinc mine area, Kor. J. Hort. Sci. Technol. 21, 447-450.
- Chon, H.T., Ahn, J.S., Jung, M.C., 1998. Seasonal variations and chemical forms of heavy metals in soils and dusts from the satellite cities of Seoul, Korea. Environ. Geochem. Health 20, 77-86. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1006593708464
- Helyar K.R., 1976. Nitrogen cycling and soil acidification, J. Aust. Inst. Agric. Sci. 42, 217-221.
- Fiol, N., Escudero, C., Villaescusa, I., 2008. Chromium sorption and Cr(VI) reduction to Cr(III) by grape stalks and yohimbe bark, Bioresource Technol. 99, 5030-5036. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biortech.2007.09.007
- Gratao, P.L., Polle, A., Lea, P.J., Azevedo, R.A., 2005. Making the life of heavy metal-stressed plants a litter easier, Funct. Plant Biol. 32, 481-494. https://doi.org/10.1071/FP05016
- Hartley W., Edwards, R., Lepp, N.W., 2004. Arsenic and heavy metal mobility in iron oxide-amended contaminated soils as evaluated by short- and long-term leaching tests, Environ. Pollut. 131, 495-504. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.envpol.2004.02.017
- Inyang, M., Gao, B., Yao, Y., Xue, Y., Zimmerman, A.R., Pullammanappallil, P., Cao, X., 2012. Removal of heavy metals from aqueous solution by biochars derived from anaerobically digested biomass, Bioresource Technol. 110, 50-56. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biortech.2012.01.072
- Jung, G.B., Lee, J.S., Kim, W.I., Kim, B.Y., 1999. The effect of irrigation control and the application of soil amelioration on cadmium uptake in paddy rice, Korean J. Environ. Agric. 18, 355-360.
- Kim, D.Y., Park, H., Lee, S.H., Koo, N., Kim, J.G., 2009. Arsenate tolerance mechanism of Oenothera odorata from a mine population involves the induction of phytochelatins in roots, Chemosphere 75, 505-512. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chemosphere.2008.12.021
- Kim, J.Y., Kim, K.W., Lee, J.U., Lee, J.S., Cook, J., 2002. Assessment of As and heavy metal contamination in the vicinity of Duckum Au-Ag Mine, Korea, Environ. Geochem. Health 24, 213-225. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1016096017050
- Kim, K.R., Owens, G., Naidu, R., Kim, K.H., 2007. Assessment techniques of heavy metal bioavailability in soil - A critical review. Korean J. Soil Sci. Fert. 40, 864-871.
- Kim, K.R., Park, J.S., Kim, M.S., Koo, N., Lee, S.H., Lee, J.S., Kim, S.C., Yang, J.E., Kim, J.G., 2010. Changes in heavy metal phytoavailability by application of immobilizing agents and soil cover in the upland soil nearby abandoned mining area and subsequent metal uptake by red pepper, Korean J. Soil Sci. Fert. 43, 864-871.
- McCauley, D.J., DeGraeve, G.M., Linton, T.K., 2000. Sediment quality guidelines and assessment: overview and research needs, Environ. Sci. Policy 3(1), 133-144. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1462-9011(00)00040-X
- Kim, M.S., Koo, N., Kim, J.G., Yang, J.E., Lee, J.S., Bak, G.I., 2012. Effects of soil amendments on the early growth and heavy metal accumulation of Brassica campestris ssp. Chinensis Jusl. in heavy metalcontaminated soil, Korean. J. Soil Sci. Fert. 45, 961-967. https://doi.org/10.7745/KJSSF.2012.45.6.961
- Koo, N., Jo, H.J., Lee, S.H., Kim, J.G., 2011. Using response surface methodology to assess the effects of iron and spent mushroom substrate on arsenic phytotoxicity in lettuce (Lactuca sativa L.), J. Hazard. Mater. 192, 381-387.
- Lee, S.H., Park, H., Koo, N., Hyun, S. Hwang, A., 2011. Evaluation of the effectiveness of various amendments on trace metals stabilization by chemical and biological methods, J. Hazard. Mater. 188, 44-51. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhazmat.2011.01.046
- Mehlich, A., 1984. Mehlich 3 soil test extractant: A modification of Mehlich 2 extractant, Commun. Soil Sci. Plan. 15(12), 1409-1416. https://doi.org/10.1080/00103628409367568
- Miller, W.P., Miller, M., 1987. A micro pipette method for soil mechanical analysis, Commun. Soil Sci. Plant Anal. 18, 1-15. https://doi.org/10.1080/00103628709367799
- Nelson, D.W., Sommers, L.E., 1996. Soil Science Society of America, in Methods of Soil Analysis, Spark, D.L. (Eds), Madison, Wisconsin, USA, pp. 961-1010.
- Oh, S.J., Kim, S.C., Kim, T.H., Yeon, K.H., Lee, J.S., Yang, J.E., 2011. Determining kinetic parameters and stabilization efficiency of heavy metals with various chemical amendment, Korean. J. Soil Sci. Fert. 44, 1063-1070. https://doi.org/10.7745/KJSSF.2011.44.6.1063
- Ritchie, G.S.P., Dolling, P.J., 1985. The role of organic matter in soil acidification, Soil Res. 23, 569-576. https://doi.org/10.1071/SR9850569
- Sadiq, M., 1997. Arsenic chemistry in soils: an overview of thermodynamic predicitions and field observations, Water Air Soil Pollut. 93, 117-136.
- Smith, E., Naidu, R., Alston, A.M., 1998. Arsenic in the soil environment: a review, Adv. Agron. 64, 149-195. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0065-2113(08)60504-0
- Tran, T.S., Simard, R.R., 1993. Canadian Society of Soil Science, in Soil sampling and methods of analysis, Carter, M.R. (Eds), Lewis, Florida, USA, pp. 43-50.
- USEPA, 1986. Test Methods for Evaluating Solid Waste. Laboratory Manual Physical/Chemical Methods SW-846, EPA Publication, Washington DC, USA, pp. 40643-40654.
- Wang, S., Mulligan, C.N., 2009. Enhanced mobilization of arsenic and heavy metals from mine tailings by humic acid, Chemosphere 74, 274-279. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chemosphere.2008.09.040
- Yang, J.K., Kang, S.H., 2011. A study on pre-red mud and bio-soilds applicability as soil stabilizer, J. Korean Soci. Water Wastewater 25, 419-428.
- Zhang X., Lin, L., Chen, M., Zhu, Z., Yang, W., Chen, B., An, Q., 2012. A nonpathogenic Fusarium oxysporum strain enhances phytoextraction of heavy metals by the hyperaccumulator Sedum alfredii Hance, J. Hazard. Mater. 229-230, 361-370. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhazmat.2012.06.013
- Comparing Bioavailability of Cadmium and Arsenic in Agricultural Soil Under Varied pH Condition vol.48, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7745/KJSSF.2015.48.1.057
- Microcosm Experiment for Evaluating Efficiency of Chemical Amendments on Remediation of Heavy Metal Contaminated Soil vol.48, pp.2, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7745/KJSSF.2015.48.2.138
- The Applicability of the Acid Mine Drainage Sludge in the Heavy Metal Stabilization in Soils vol.33, pp.2, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5338/KJEA.2014.33.2.78
Grant : Optimum Remediation Technology for Heavy Metal Stabilization and Soil Amelioration
Supported by : Korea University