- Volume 33 Issue 1
BACKGROUND: Best management practices are often implemented to control nonpoint source pollutants. Best management practices need to be simulated and analyzed for effective Best management practices implementations. Filter strip is one of effective Best management practices in agricultural areas. METHODS AND RESULTS: Soil and Water Assessment Tool model was selected to explore the effectiveness of filter strip to control total phosphorous in Golji watershed. Soil and Water Assessment Tool model was calibrated for flow and total phosphorous by Sequential Uncertainty Fittin ver.2 algorithm provided in Soil and Water Assessment Tool-Calibration and Uncertainty Procedures. Three scenarios defined by filter strip width were applied. The filter strip width of 5 m was able to reduce the most amount of total phosphorous. In other words, the total phosphorous reduction by filter strip of 5 m was 28.0%, while the reduction was 17.5% by filter strip of 1 m. However, the reduction per unit filter strip width were 17.4%, 8.0%, and 4.5% for 1 m, 3 m, and 5 m of filter strips, respectively. CONCLUSION: Best management practices need to be simulated and analyzed so that the BMP scenario can be cost-effective. A large size of BMP might be able to control large amount of pollutants, however it would not be indicated as a cost-effective strategy.
Bast management practice;Filter strip;SWAT;SWAT-CUP
- Abbaspour, K.C., 2007. User Manual for SWAT-CUP, pp. 1-33, Swiss federal Institute of Aquaitc Science and Technology, Eawag, Deubendorf, Switzerland.
- Ahn, J.H., Yun, S.L., Kim, S.K., Park, Y.S., Lim, K.J., 2012. Analysis of Suspended Solids Reduction by Vegetative Filter Strip for Cultivated Area Using Web GIS-Based VFSMOD, J. Korean Soc. Emviron. Eng. 34, 792-800. https://doi.org/10.4491/KSEE.2012.34.12.792
- Arnold, J.G., Williams, J.R., Nicks, A.D., Sammons, N.B., 1990. SWRRB: A Basin Scale Simulation Model for Soil and Water Resources Management. 1-210, Texas A&M University Press, Texas, USA.
- ASCE, 1993. ASCE task committee on definition of criteria for evaluation of watershed models, Criteria for Evaluation of Watershed Models, J. Irrig. Drain Eng. 119, 429-442. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9437(1993)119:3(429)
- Bracmort, K.S., Arabi, M., Frankenberger, J.R., Engel, B.A., Arnold, J.G., 2006. Modeling Long-term Water Quality Impact of Structural BMPs, Trans. ASABE 49, 367-374. https://doi.org/10.13031/2013.20411
- Bulter, G.B., Srivastava, P., 2007. An Alabama BMP Database for Evaluating Water Quality Impacts of Alternative Management Practices, Applied Eng. Agric. 23, 727-736. https://doi.org/10.13031/2013.24056
- Dillaha, T.A., Reneau, R.B., Lee, M.D., 1989. Vegetative filter strips for agricultural non-point sources pollutant control, Trans. ASABE 32, 513-519. https://doi.org/10.13031/2013.31033
- Gitau, M.W., Veith, T.L., Gburek, W.J., 2004. Farm-level Optimization of BMP Placement for Cost-effective Pollution Reduction, Trans. ASABE 47, 1923-1931. https://doi.org/10.13031/2013.17805
- Jin, C.X., Dabney, S.M., Römkens, M.J.M., 2002. Trapped mulch increases sediment removal by vegetative filter strips: A flume study, Transactions of the ASAE, 45, 929-939.
- Gitau, M.W., Gburek, W.J., Bishop, P.L., 2008. Use of the SWAT Model to Quantify Water Quality Effects of Agricultural BMPs at the Farm-scale Level, Trans. ASABE 51(6), 1925-1936. https://doi.org/10.13031/2013.25398
- Kang, H.W., Ryu, J.C., Kang, H.S., Choi, J.W., Moon, J.P., Choi, J.D., Lim, K.J., 2012. Enhancement and Application of SWAT Auto-Calibration using Korean Ministry of Environment 8-Day Interval Flow, Water Quality data, J. Korean Soc. Water Quality 28,247-254.
- Kang, M.S., Park, S.W., 2003. Development and Application of Total Maximum Daily Loads Simulation System Using Nonpoint Source Pollution Model, J. Korean Water Resour. Assoc. 36, 117-128. https://doi.org/10.3741/JKWRA.2003.36.1.117
- Lee, J.W., Eom, J.S., Kim, B.C., Jang, W.S., Ryu, J.C., Kang, H.W., Kim, K.S., Lim, K.J., 2011, Water Quality Prediction at Mandae Watershed using SWAT and Water Quality Improvement with Vegetated Filter Strip, J. Korean Soc. Agri. Eng. 53, 37-45. https://doi.org/10.5389/KSAE.2011.53.1.037
- Lee, M.S., Park, G., Park, M.J., Park, J.Y., Lee, J.W., Kim, S.J., 2010. Evaluation of non-point source pollution reduction by applying Best Management Practices using a SWAT model and QuickBird high resolution satellite imagery, J. Environ. Sci. 22, 826-833. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1001-0742(09)60184-4
- Leonard, R.A., Knisel, W.G., Still, D.A., 1987. GLEAMS: Groundwater loading effects on agricultural management systems, Trans. ASABE 30, 1403-1428. https://doi.org/10.13031/2013.30578
- Nash, J.E., Sutcliffe, J.E.,1970. River Flow Forecasting through Conceptual Models, Part I-A Discussion of Principles, J. Hydrol. 10, 282-290. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-1694(70)90255-6
- Parajulia, P.B., Mankinb, K.R., Barnesb, P.L., 2008. Applicability of targeting vegetative filter strips to abate fecal bacteria and sediment yield using SWAT, Agric. Water Manage. 95, 1189-1200. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.agwat.2008.05.006
- Park, Y.S., Kim, J., Park, J., Jeon, J.H., Choi, D.H., Kim, T., Choi, J., Ahn, J., Kim, K., Lim, K.J., 2007. Evaluation of SWAT applicability to simulation of sediment behaviors at the Imha-dam watershed, J. Korean Soc. Water Quality 23, 467-473.
- Park, Y.S., Engel, B.A., Shin, Y.C., Choi, J.D., Kim, N.W., Kim, S.J., Kong, D.S., Lim, K.J., 2013. Development of Web GIS-based VFSMOD System with Three Modules for Effective Vegetative Filter Strip Design, Water 5, 1194-1210. https://doi.org/10.3390/w5031194
- Robinson, C.A., Ghaffarzadah, M., Cruse, R.M., 1996. Vegetative filter strip effects on sediment concentration in cropland runoff, Journal of Soil & Water Conservation 51, 227-230.
- Romanowicz, R.J., Beven, K.J., Tawn, J., 1994. Evaluation of predictive uncertainty in nonlinear hydrological models using a Bayesian approach, in: Barnett, V., Turkman, K.F.(Eds), Statistics for the Environment 2: Water Related Issues, Wiley, England, pp. 297-315.
- Ryu, J.C., Kang, H.W., Choi, J.W., Kong, D.S., Kum, D.H., Jang, C.H., Lim, K.J., 2012. Application of SWAT-CUP for Streamflow Auto-calibration at Soyang-gang Dam Watershed, J. Korean Soc. Water Enviorn. 28, 347-358.
- Shin, M.H., Won, C.H., Park, W.J., Choi, Y.H., Jang, J.R., Lim, K.J., Choi, J.D., 2011. Analysis of the Reduction Effect on NPS Pollution Loads by Surface Cover Application, J. Korean Soc. Agric. Eng. 53, 29-37.
- Srinivasan, R., Arnold, J.G., 1994. Integration of a basin-scale water quality model with GIS, J. American Water Resources Assoc. 30(3), 453-462. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1752-1688.1994.tb03304.x
- Williams, J.R., Jones, C.A., Dyke, P.T., 1984. A modeling approach to determining the relationship between erosion and soil productivity. Trans. ASABE. 27, 129-144. https://doi.org/10.13031/2013.32748
- Williams, J.R., Nicks, A.D., Arnold, J.G., 1985. Simulator for water resources in rural basins, J. Hydraul. Eng. 111, 970-986. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9429(1985)111:6(970)
연구 과제 주관 기관 : Korea Environmental Industry & Technology Institute