- Volume 38 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Estimation of Hardfacing Material and Thickness of STD61 Hot-Working Tool Steels Through Three-Dimensional Heat Transfer and Thermal Stress Analyses
3 차원 열전달/열응력 해석을 통한 STD61 열간 금형강의 하드페이싱 재료 및 두께 예측
- Park, Na-Ra (Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Chosun Univ.) ;
- Ahn, Dong-Gyu (Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Chosun Univ.)
- Received : 2014.02.04
- Accepted : 2014.02.19
- Published : 2014.04.01
The goal of this paper is to estimate proper hardfacing material and thickness of STD61 hot-working tool steel through three-dimensional heat transfer and thermal stress analyses. Stellite6, Stellite21 and 19-9DL superalloys are chosen as alternative hardfacing materials. The influence of hardfacing materials and thicknesses on temperature, thermal stress and thermal strain distributions of the hardfaced part are investigated using the results of the analyses. From the results of the investigation, it has been noted that a hardfacing material with a high conductivity and a thinner hardfaced layer are desired to create an effective hardfacing layer in terms of heat transfer characteristics. In addition, it has been revealed that the deviation of effective stress and principal strain in the vicinity of the joined region are minimized when the Stellite21 hardfaced layer with the thickness of 2 mm is created on the STD61. Based on the above results, a proper hardfacing material and thickness for STD61 tool steel have been estimated.
Hardfacing Material;Hardfacing Thickness;Hot-working Tool Steel;Temperature Distribution;Stress-Strain Distribution
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- Farhani, M., Amadeh, A., Kashani, H. and Saeed-Akbari, A., 2006, "The Study of Wear Resistance of a Hot Forging Die, Hardfaced by a Cobalt-base Superalloy," Materials Science Forum, Vol. 30, pp. 212-218.
- Lee, R. S. and Jou, J. L., 2003, "Application of Numerical Simulation for Wear Analysis of Warm Forging Die," Journal of Material Processing Technology, Vol. 140, Issue 1-3, pp. 43-48. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0924-0136(03)00723-4
- Ahn, D. G., 2013, "Hardfacing Technologies for Improvement of Wear Characteristics of Hot Working Tools: A Review," International Journal of Precision Engineering and Manufacturing, Vol. 14, No. 7, pp. 1271-1283. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12541-013-0174-z
- Lange, K., Cser, L., Geiger, M. and Kals, J. A. S., 1992, "Tool Life and Tool Quality in Bulk Metal Forming," CIRP Annals, Vol. 41, Issue 2, pp. 667-675. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0007-8506(07)63253-3
- Stern, K. H., 1996, "Metallurgical and Ceramic Protective Coatings," Chapman & Hall, pp. 74-111.
- Kohopaa, J., Hakonen, H. and Kivivuori, S., 1989, "Wear Resistance of Hot Forging Tools Surfaced by Welding," Wear, Vol. 130, Issue 1, pp. 103-112. https://doi.org/10.1016/0043-1648(89)90225-1
- Frenk, A. and Kurz, W., 1994, "Microstructural Effects on the Sliding Wear Resistance of a Cobalt-Based Alloy," Wear, Vol. 174, Issues 1-2, pp. 81-91. https://doi.org/10.1016/0043-1648(94)90089-2
- D'Oliveira, A. S. C. M., Vilar, R. and Feder, C. G., 2002, "High Temperature Behaviour of Plasma Transferred Arc and Laser Co-based Alloy Coatings," Applied Surface Science, Vol. 201, Issues 1-4, pp. 154-160. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0169-4332(02)00621-9
- Majumdar, J. D., 2010, "Laser Assisted Composite Surfacing of Materials for Improved Wear Resistance," Physics Procedia, Vol. 5, Part A, pp. 425-430. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.phpro.2010.08.164
- Ahn, D. G., 2011, "Applications of Laser Assisted Metal Rapid Tooling Process to Manufacture of Molding & Forming Tools - State of the Art," International Journal of Precision Engineering and Manufacturing, Vol. 12, No. 5, pp. 925-938. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12541-011-0125-5
- Ocken, H., 1995, "The Galling Wear Resistance of New Iron-Base Hardfacing Alloy: a Comparison with Established Cobalt-and Nickel-base Alloys," Surface Coating Technology, Vol. 76-77, Part 2, pp. 456-461. https://doi.org/10.1016/0257-8972(95)02573-1
- Ming, Q., Lim, L. C. and Chen, Z. D., 1998, "Laser Cladding of Nickel-based Hardfacing Alloys," Surface Coating Technology, Vol. 106, Issues 2-3, pp. 174-182. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0257-8972(98)00524-6
- Persson, D. H. E., Jacobson, S. and Hogmark, S., 2003, "Effect of Temperature on Friction and Galling of Laser Processed NOREM 02 and Stellite 21," Wear, Vol. 255, Issues 1-6, pp. 498-503. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0043-1648(03)00122-4
- Mingxi, L., Yizhu, H. and Guoxiong, S., 2004, "Microstructure and Wear Resistance of Laser Clad Cobalt-based Alloy Multi-layer Coatings," Applied Surface Science, Vol. 230, Issues 1-4, pp. 201-206. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apsusc.2004.02.030
- MatWeb, "Deloro Stellite Stellite(R)6," http://www.matweb.com
- Wu, A. P., Ren, J. L., Peng, Z. S., Murakawa, H., and Ueda, Y., 2000, "Numerical Simulation for the Residual Stresses of Stellite Hard-facing on Carbon Steel," Journal of Material Processing Technology, Vol.101, Issue 1, pp. 70-75. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0924-0136(99)00456-2
- Bhanu Kiran, V. T., Krishna, M., Praveen, M. and Pattar, N., 2011, "Numerical Simulation of Multilayer Hardfacing on Low Carbon Steel," International Journal of Engineering Technology, Vol. 3, No. 1, pp. 53-63. https://doi.org/10.7763/IJET.2011.V3.200
- Ahn, D. G. and Park, N. R., 2012, "A Study on the Influence of Hard-facing Material and Its Thickness on Temperature and Thermal Stress Distributions in Hotworking Tools Using 3-D Finite Element Analysis," Proceedings of 2012 Autumn Meeting of the Korean Society of Mechanical Engineers, pp. 2357-2358.
- Latrobe Specialty Metals Inc., "LSS H13 Tool Steel," http://www.latrobesteel.com
- MatWeb, "Bohler-Uddeholm SUPERIOR H13 Hot Work Tool Steel," http://www.matweb.com
- China Steel Suppliers Inc., "Stellite 6," http://www.steelgr.com
- Touloukian, Y. S., Powell, R. W., Ho, C. Y. and Klemens, P. G., 1970, "Thermal Conductivity/Metallic Elements and Alloys," Thermophysical Properties Research Center, New York-Washington, pp. 947-949.
- Deloro Stellite, "STELLITE 21 ALLOY," http://www.stellite.co.uk/Portals/0/Completed%20Data%20 Sheets/Stellite%2021%20DS01-22208%20(S%20R0808).pdf
- ASM International Handbook Committee, 1990, "ASM Handbook-Tenth Edition, Properties and Selection: Irons, Steels and High Performance Alloys," ASM International, Vol.1, pp. 950-980.
- MatWeb, "Deloro Stellite Stellite(R)21," http://www.matweb.com
- China Steel Suppliers Inc., "Stellite 21," http://www.steelgr.com
- MatWeb, "AISI Type 651(19-9) Stainless Steel," http://www.matweb.com
- A study on the effects of hardfacing thickness on wear characteristics of Stellite21 hardfaced STD61 hotworking tool steel at the elevated temperature vol.15, pp.5, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1007/s12541-014-0420-z
- A study on the Effects of Geometrical Parameters of Overlay Coated Layer on the Thermal Stress-strain Distributions of Co-based Super-alloy Deposited Layer on Hot-working Tool Steel vol.40, pp.2261-236X, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1051/matecconf/20164001003