- Volume 38 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Development of Disassembly Tool for Intermediate Examination of Nuclear Fuel Rods
핵연료봉 중간검사를 위한 장탈착 툴 개발
- Hong, Jintae (Dept. of Research Reactor Applications, Korea Atomic Energy Research Institute) ;
- Heo, Sung-Ho (Dept. of Research Reactor Applications, Korea Atomic Energy Research Institute) ;
- Kim, Ka-Hye (Dept. of Research Reactor Applications, Korea Atomic Energy Research Institute) ;
- Park, Sung-Jae (Dept. of Research Reactor Applications, Korea Atomic Energy Research Institute) ;
- Joung, Chang-Young (Dept. of Research Reactor Applications, Korea Atomic Energy Research Institute)
- 홍진태 (한국원자력연구원 연구로이용연구본부) ;
- 허성호 (한국원자력연구원 연구로이용연구본부) ;
- 김가혜 (한국원자력연구원 연구로이용연구본부) ;
- 박승재 (한국원자력연구원 연구로이용연구본부) ;
- 정창용 (한국원자력연구원 연구로이용연구본부)
- Received : 2013.11.07
- Accepted : 2014.01.21
- Published : 2014.04.01
To check the characteristics of nuclear fuels during an irradiation test, the nuclear fuel rod needs to be disassembled from the test rig located in the pool of the research reactor. Then, the disassembled fuel rod is delivered to the hot cell for intermediate examination. A fuel rod that passes the intermediate examination is delivered to the reactor pool to be reassembled into the test rig. The irradiation test is resumed with the reassembled test rig. Because nuclear fuel rods irradiated by neutrons are highly radioactive, all the disassembly and reassembly processes should be carried out in the pool of the research reactor to prevent operators being exposed to radiation. In particular, because a test rig is 5.4-m long and the reactor pool of HANARO is 6-m deep, special tools need to be developed for performing the disassembly and reassembly processes. In this study, a new assembly design of nuclear fuel rods for intermediate examination is introduced. Furthermore, tools for treating the irradiated fuel rod assembly are introduced, and their performance is verified by an out pile test.
Intermediate Examination of Nuclear Fuel Rod;Nuclear Fuel Irradiation Test;Assembly/Disassembly of Nuclear Fuel Rod
- Park, J. Y., 1997, "PWR Fuel Inspection and Repair Technology Development in the Republic of Korea," IAEA-TECDOC-1050, pp. 101-113.
- Ruggirello, G. and Zawerucha, A., 1997, "Applied Monitoring Methods for the Control of Fuel Elements and Reactor Internals in Argentine Nuclear Power Plants Poolside Facilities," IAEA-TECDOC-1050, pp. 7-12.
- Knecht, K., 1997, "New Inspection and Reconstitution Techniques for Fuel Assemblies Increase Power Plant Efficiency," IAEA-TECDOC-1050, pp. 15-27.
- Leroy, G., 1997, "Framatome Experience in Fuel Assembly Repair and Reconstitution," IAEATECDOC-1050, pp. 61-69.
- Knecht, K. and Kraus, K., 1987, "Method and Device for Repairing Fuel Assemblies of Boiling-Water Nuclear Reactors," US Patent, No. 4697322.
- Hong, D. H., Jin, J. H., Jung, J. H., Kim, K. H. and Yoon, J. S., 2005, "Development of Transportation Capsule for Spent Nuclear Fuel Rod Cuts," Proc. of KSPE Autumn Conference, pp. 1055-1058.
- Goswami, G. L., Chatterjee, A., Chandra, M., Kulkarni, H.B., Prasad, K. K., Jayarajan, K., Mishra, J. K., Kumar, S., Gangotra, S., Sahoo, K. C. and Nathan, T. P. S, 2004, "Development of Automatic Remotely Operable Laser Cutting System for Disassembly of PHWR Spent Fuel Bundles," BARC Newsletter, Issue No. 249, pp. 116-122.
- Ku, J. H., Seo, K. S., Kang, H. Y. and Kim, Y. J., 1995, "A FEM Analysis of the Dynamic Behavior of Spent Nuclear Fuel Transport Cask Under Oblique Drop Impact," Trans. Korean Soc. Mech. Eng. A, Vol. 19, No. 12, pp. 3252-3259.
- Hong, D. H., Jung, J. H., Kim, H. D., Yoo, K. S., Lee, Y. P. and Lee, W. K., 2008, "Development of Transportation & Loading Device for Spent Nuclear Fuel Rod Cuts," Proc. of KSPE Spring Conference, pp. 785-786.
- Chung, S. H. and Lee, Y. S., 1997, "A Study on the Side Drop Impact of a Nuclear Spent Fuel Shipping Cask," Trans. of the KSME A, Vol. 21, No. 3, pp. 457-469.
- Hong, J. T., Ahn, S. H., Joung, C. Y. and Kim, K. H., 2013, "Nuclear Fuel Rod Assembly and Device of Installation/Separation Thereof," KHNP, KR 10-2013-0098690.