- Volume 38 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Design of a Helmholtz Resonator for Noise Reduction in a Duct Considering Geometry Information: Additional Relationship Equation and Experiment
형상 정보를 고려한 덕트 소음 저감용 헬름홀츠 공명기 설계: 추가 관계식과 실험
- Ryu, Hokyung (Division of Mechanical Engineering, Ajou Univ.) ;
- Chung, Seong Jin (Samsung Medison Co., System Development Lab.) ;
- Lee, Jin Woo (Division of Mechanical Engineering, Ajou Univ.)
- Received : 2014.01.08
- Accepted : 2014.02.20
- Published : 2014.04.01
An additional relationship equation is numerically obtained to increase the accuracy of the conventional equation for obtaining the resonant frequency of a resonator. Although the conventional equation is widely used in industry because of its simplicity, it does not provide enough information on the cavity or the neck of the resonator for noise reduction in a duct. Resonator designers have difficulty implementing resonator design owing to the uncertainty in geometry presented by the well-known formula for determining the resonant frequency. To overcome this problem, this work determines an approximate equation using results of numerical calculation. To this end, shape parameters of the neck and cavity of a resonator are defined, and an equation describing the relationship between them is derived by adjusting the peak frequency in the transmission loss curve of a resonator to its resonant frequency. The application and validity of the derived equation are investigated in a numerical simulation and an acoustic experiment, respectively.
Resonator Design;Geometry Uncertainties;Transmission Loss;Shape Parameter;Resonant Frequency;Peak Frequency
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- Helmholtz, H., 1954, On the Sensations of Tone, DoverPublications, New York, pp. 36-45.
- Ingard, U., 1953, "On the Theory and Design of Acoustic Resonator," Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, Vol. 25, No. 6, pp. 1037-1061. https://doi.org/10.1121/1.1907235
- Sun, D., Qiu, L., Wang, B. and Xiao, Y., 2009, "Novel Helmholtz Resonator Used to Focus Acoustic Energy of Thermoacoustic Engine," Applied Thermal Engineering, Vol. 29, No. 5-6, pp. 945-949. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2008.05.004
- Selamet, A., Kothamasu, V. and Novak, J. M., 2001, "Insertion Loss of a Helmholtz Resonator in the Intake System of Internal Combustion Engines: an Experimental and Computational Investigation," Applied Acoustics, Vol. 62, No. 4, pp. 381-409. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0003-682X(00)00042-6
- Chen, K. T., Chen, Y. H., Lin, K. Y. and Weng, C.C., 1998, "The Improvement on the Transmission Loss of a Duct by Adding Helmholtz Resonators," Applied Acoustics, Vol. 54, No. 1, pp. 71-82. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0003-682X(97)00036-4
- Yasuda, T., Wu, C., Nakagawa, N. and Nagamura, K., 2013, "Studies on an Automobile Muffler with the Acoustic Characteristic of Low-Pass Filter and Helmholtz Resonator," Applied Acoustics, Vol. 74, No. 1, pp. 49-57. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apacoust.2012.06.007
- Selamet, A., Radavich, P. M., Dickey, N. S. and Novak, J. M., 1997, "Circular Concentric Helmholtz Resonators," Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, Vol. 101, No. 1, pp. 41-51. https://doi.org/10.1121/1.417986
- Oh, J. E., Han, K. H. and Hong, J. H., 1998, "Development of the Simulator for Estimating Intake Noise of Vehicle and Its Improvement (Part I) -Selection of Optimum Position of a Resonator," Trans. Korean Soc. Mech. Eng. A, Vol. 22, No. 2, pp. 391-398.
- Selamet, A. and Ji, J. L., 1997, "Circular Asymmetric Helmholtz Resonators," Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, Vol. 107, No. 5, pp. 2360-2369.
- Haa, S. T. and Y. H. Kim, 1994, "The Limitation and Applicability of Helmholtz Resonator, Regarding as Equivalent Single-Degree of Vibration System," Transactions of the Korean Society for Noise and Vibration Engineering, Vol. 4, No. 2, pp. 209-219.
- Chanaud, R. C., 1997, "Effect of Geometry on the Resonance Frequency of Helmholtz Resonator Part2," Journal of Sound and Vibration, Vol. 204, No. 5, pp. 829-834. https://doi.org/10.1006/jsvi.1997.0969
- Hwang, S., Hwang, S. and Jeong, W., 1998, "Advanced Design Technique of Helmholtz Resonator Adopting the Genetic Algorithm," Transactions of the Korean Society for Noise and Vibration Engineering, Vol. 8, No. 6, pp.1113-1120.
- Alster, M., 1972, "Improved Calculation of Resonant Frequencies of Helmholtz Resonators," Journal of Sound and Vibration, Vol. 24, No. 1, pp. 63-85. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-460X(72)90123-X
- Chanaud, R.C, 1994, "Effect of Geometry on the Resonance Frequency of Helmholtz Resonators," Journal of Sound and Vibration, Vol. 178, No. 3, pp. 337-348. https://doi.org/10.1006/jsvi.1994.1490
- Dan, Z., Morgans, A. S., 2009, "Tuned Passive Control of Combustion Instabilities Using Multiple Helmholtz Resonators," Journal of Sound and Vibration, Vol. 320, No. 4-5, pp. 740-757.
- Kim, H. J., Cha, J. -P., Song, J. -K. and Ko, Y. S., 2010, "Geometric and Number Effect on Damping Capacity of Helmholtz Resonators in a Model Chamber," Journal of Sound and Vibration, Vol. 329, No. 16, pp. 3266-3279. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsv.2010.02.018
- Tang, S. K., 2005, "On Helmholtz Resonators with Tapered Necks," Journal of Sound and Vibration, Vol. 279, No. 3-5, pp. 1085-1096. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsv.2003.11.032
- Kweon, Y. H., Aoki, T., Miyazato, Y., Kim, H. D., Setoguchi, T., 2006, "Computational Study of an Incident Shock Wave into a Helmholtz Resonator," Science Direct, Vol. 35, No. 10, pp. 1252-1263.
- Xu, M. B., Selamet, A. and Kim, H., 2010, "Dual Helmholtz Resonator," Applied Acoustics, Vol. 71, No. 9, pp. 822-829. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apacoust.2010.04.007
- Park, S. H. and Seo, S. H., 2012, "Low-frequency Noise Reduction in an Enclosure by Using a Helmholtz Resonator Array," Transactions of the Korean Society for Noise and Vibration Engineering, Vol. 22, No. 8, pp. 756-762. https://doi.org/10.5050/KSNVE.2012.22.8.756
- Tang, S.K., Ng, C. H. and Lam, E. Y. L., 2012, "Experimental Investigation of the Sound Absorption Performance of Compartmented Helmholtz Resonators," Applied Acoustics, Vol. 73, No. 9, pp. 969-976. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apacoust.2012.03.016
- Li, D., and Cheng, L., 2007, "Acoustically Coupled Model of an Enclosure and a Helmholtz Resonator Array," Journal of Sound and Vibration, Vol. 305, No. 1-2, pp. 272-288. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsv.2007.04.009
- Kim, S. R. and Kim, Y. H., 2005, "A Helmholtz Resonator Array Panel for Low Frequency Sound Absorption." Transactions of the Korean Society for Noise and Vibration Engineering, Vol. 15, No. 8, pp. 924-930. https://doi.org/10.5050/KSNVN.2005.15.8.924
- Kinsler, L. E., Fre, A. R., Coppens, A. B., Sanders, J. V. Park, S. H. and Seo, S. H., 2000, Fundamentals of Acoustics, John Wiley and Sons, Hoboken, pp. 284-285.