- Volume 16 Issue 1
Nonlinear analysis of reinforced concrete structures is carried out by using Reissner-Mindlin (RM) shell finite element (FE). The brittle inelastic characteristic of concrete material is represented by using the elasto-plastic fracture (EPF) material model with the relevant material models such as cracking criteria, shear transfer model and tension stiffening model. In particular, assumed strains are introduced in the formulation of the present shell FE in order to avoid element deficiencies inherited in the standard RM shell FE. The arc-length control method is used to trace the full load-displacement path of reinforced concrete structures. Finally, four benchmark tests are carried out and numerical results are provided as future reference solutions produced by RM shell element with assumed strains.
Reinforced Concrete;Shell;EPF model;Tension Stiffening;Assumed Strains;Arc-length control
- Chan, E.C. (1983) Nonlinear geometric, material and time dependent analysis of reinforced concrete shells with edge beams. Ph.D. Dissertation, UC Berkeley, SESM Report No. 82-8.
- ABAQUS User's Manual (1999) Version 5.8, Hibbit, Karlsson & Sorensen, Inc., Pawtucket, Rhode Island.
- Ahmad, S., Irons, B.M. and Zienkiewicz, O.C. (1970) Analysis of thick and thin shell structures by curved finite elements. Int. J. Numer. Meth. Engng., 2, 419-451. https://doi.org/10.1002/nme.1620020310
- Aoyagi, Y. and Yamada, K. (1984) Strength and deformation characteristics of RC shell elements subjected to in-plane forces. Concrete library international JSCE, 4, 129-160.
- Dvorkin, E.N. and Bathe, K.J. (1984) A continuum mechanics based on four-node shell element for general nonlinear analysis. Eng. Comput., 1, 77-88. https://doi.org/10.1108/eb023562
- Figueiras, J.A. and Owen, D.R.J. (1984) Ultimate load analysis of reinforced concrete plates and shells including geometric nonlienar effect in the Finite element software for plates and shells. Pineridge Press, Swansea
- Floegel, H. and Mang, H. (1981), On tension stiffening in cracked reinforced concrete slabs and shells considering geometric and physical nonlinearity, Inginieur-Archiv, 51, 215-242.
- Gilbert, R.J. and Warner, R.F. (1978) Tension stiffening in reinforced concrete slabs. J. Struc. Division, ASCE, 104, ST12, 1185-1900.
- Hedgren, A. W. and Billington, D.P. (1967) Mortar model test on a cylindrical shell of varying curvature and thickness. ACI Journal
- Hinton, E and Owen, D.R.J. (1984) Finite element software for plates and shells. Pineridge Press, Swansea
- Lee, S.J. and Seo, J.M., (2000) A study on the nonlinear finite element analysis of reinforced concrete structures. Technical report (KAERI/TR-1631/2000), Korea Atomic Energy Research Institute.
- Hinton, E., Rahman, H.H.A. and O.C. Zienkiewicz (1981) Computational strategies for reinforced concrete slab systems. Int. Assoc. Bridge Struc. Eng. Colloquium on adanced mechanics of reinforced concrete, Delft, 303-313.
- Huang, H.C. and Hinton, E. (1986) A new nine-node degenerated shell element with enhanced membrane and shear interpolation. Int. J. Numer. Meth. Engng., 22, 73-92. https://doi.org/10.1002/nme.1620220107
- Jain, S.C. and Kennedy, J.B. (1974) Yield Criteion for reinforced concrete slabs, J. Struc. Division, ASCE, 100, ST3, 631-644.
- Lee, S.J. and Seo, J.M., (2001) A 9-node degenerated shell element for inelastic analysis of reinforced concrete structures. J. of Computational Structural Engineering Institute of Korea, 14(4), 481-493
- Lee, S.J., Lee, H.P. and Seo, J.M., (2002) The nonlinear finite element analysis program NUCAS for reinforced concrete containment building. Technical report (KAERI/TR-2076/2002), Korea Atomic Energy Research Institute.
- Lee, S.J. and Kanok-Nuchulchai, W. (1998) A nine-node assumed strain finite element for large deformation analysis of laminated shells. Int. J. Numer. Meth. Engng., 42, 777-798. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0207(19980715)42:5<777::AID-NME365>3.0.CO;2-P
- Li, B., Maekawa, K. and Okamura, H. (1989) Contact density model for stress transfer across cracks in concrete. Journal of faculty of Engineering, University of Tokyo (B), 40(1), 9-52.
- Lin, C. H. and Scordelis, A.C. (1975) Finite element study of a reinforced concrete cylindrical shell through elastic cracking, and ultimate ranges. ACI Journal, 71, 628-633.
- Mirza, S.A., Hatzinikolas, M. and Macgregor, J.G. (1979) Statistical descriptions of the strength of concrete. ASCE, J. Struc Div., 105, ST6, 1021-1037.
- McNeice, A.M. (1967) Elastic-Plastic Bending of Plates and Slabs by the Finite Element Method. PhD. Thesis, London University
- Maekawa, K. and Okamura, H. (1983) The deformation behaviour and constitutive equation concrete using Elasto-Plastic and Fracture Model. Journal of faculty of Engineering, University of Tokyo (B), 37(2), 253-328.
- Mindlin R.D. (1951) Influence of rotatory inertia and shear on flexural vibration of isotropic, elastic plates. Journal of Applied Mec hanics, 18, 31-38.
- Niwa, J. (1980) Mechanical property of RC panels. MSc thesis, Dept. of Civil Eng., Univ. of Tokyo.
- Ngo, D. and Scordelis, A.C. (1967) Finite element analysis of reinforced concrete beam. ACI Journal, 64( 3)
- Okamura, H. and Maekawa, K. (1997) Nonlinear analysis and constitutive models of reinforced concrete. 2nd edition, Gihodo Publisher.
- Reissner, E. (1945) The effect of transverse shear deformation on the bending of elastic plate. ASME, J. Appl. Mech., 12, 69-76.
- Shima, H., Chou, L. and Okamura, H. (1987) Micro and Macro models for bond behaviour in reinforced concrete. Journal of faculty of Engineering, University of Tokyo (B), 39(2), 133-194.
- Stolaski, H. and Belytscho, T. (1983) Shear and membrane locking in curved elements. Comp. Mech. Appl. Mech. Engng., 41, 279-296. https://doi.org/10.1016/0045-7825(83)90010-5
- Vecchio, F and Collins, M.P. (1982) The response of reinforced concrete to in-plane shear and normal stress. University of Toronto.
- Zienkiewicz, O.C., Taylor, R.L. and Too, J.M. (1971) Reduced integration technique in general analysis of plates and shells. Int. J. Numer. Meth. Engng., 3, 275-290. https://doi.org/10.1002/nme.1620030211