- Volume 24 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Effects of Knee Brace on the Anterior Cruciate Ligament Injury Risk Factors during Spike Take Off in Female Volleyball Players
여자 배구 선수들의 스파이크 도약 시 무릎보호대가 전방십자인대 부상위험 요인에 미치는 영향
- Yang, Chang-Soo (Division of Exercise and Health, College of Arts and Physical Education, Incheon National University) ;
- Lim, Bee-Oh (Department of Physical Education, College of Education, Chungang University)
- Received : 2014.03.01
- Accepted : 2014.03.26
- Published : 2014.03.31
In volleyball, the most common injuries are anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) tears. For this reason, volleyball players frequently use knee brace as prophylactic and rehabilitation measures. The purpose of the study was to investigate the effects of knee brace on anterior cruciate ligament injuries risk factors during spike take off in female volleyball players. Fifteen female volleyball players were recruited and performed randomly spike take off with and without knee brace. Kinematics and ground reaction data were collected to estimate the anterior cruciate ligament injuries risk factors. The ACL risk factors are knee maximum flexion angle, thigh maximum adduction angle, thigh maximum internal rotation angle, shank maximum abduction angle, shank maximum external rotation angle, knee maximum extension moment and knee maximum abduction moment. Data were analyzed with paired samples t-test with Bonfferoni collection. Female volleyball players with knee brace had no significant results in knee maximum flexion angle, thigh maximum adduction angle, thigh maximum internal rotation angle, shank maximum abduction angle and shank maximum external rotation angle compare to without knee brace. Female volleyball players, however, with knee brace showed more reduced knee maximum extension moment and knee maximal abduction moment than without knee brace. In conclusion, Female volleyball players with knee brace reduced anterior cruciate ligament stress.
Supported by : 인천대학교
- Arendt, E., & Dick, R. (1995). Knee injury patterns among men and women in collegiate basketball and soccer. NCAA data and review of literature. American Journal of Sports Medicine, 23, 694-701. https://doi.org/10.1177/036354659502300611
- Boden, B. P., Dean, G. S., Feagin, J. A., & Garrett, W. E. Jr. (2000). Mechanisms of anterior cruciate ligament injury. Orthopedics, 23, 573-578.
- Chappell, J. D., Yu, B., Kirkendall, D. T., & Garrett, W. E. (2002). A comparison of knee kinetics between male and female recreational athletes in stop-jump tasks. American Journal of Sports Medicine, 30(2), 261-267.
- Choi, I. A., & Lim, B. O. (2009). Difference in lower extremity landing biomechanics between male and female ballet dancers during the box drop landing. Korean Journal of Sports Biomechanics, 19(4), 647-653. https://doi.org/10.5103/KJSB.2009.19.4.647
- Daniel, D. M., Stone, M. L., & Dobson, B. E. (1994). Fate of the ACL-injured patient: A prospective outcome study. American Journal of Sports Medicine, 22(5), 632-644. https://doi.org/10.1177/036354659402200511
- DeVita, P., Lassiter, T. Jr., Hortobagyi, T., & Torry, M. (1998). Functional knee brace effects during walking in patients with anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction. American Journal of Sports Medicine, 26(6), 778-784.
- Fagenbaum, R. & Darling, W. G. (2003). Jump landing strategies in male and female college athletes and the implications of such strategies for anterior cruciate ligament injury. American Journal of Sports Medicine, 31, 233-240.
- Fleming, B. C., Renstrom, P. A., Beynnon, B. D., Engstrom, B., & Peura, G. (2000). The influence of functional knee bracing on the anterior cruciate ligament strain biomechanics in weightbearing and nonweightbearing knees. American Journal of Sports Medicine, 28, 815-824.
- Ford, K. R., Myer, G. D., & Hewett, T. E. (2003). Valgus knee motion during landing in high school female and male basketball players. Medicine Science and Sports in Exercise, 35(10), 1745-1750. https://doi.org/10.1249/01.MSS.0000089346.85744.D9
- Ford, K. R., Myer, G. D., Smith, R. L., Byrnes, R. N., Dopirak, S. E., & Hewett, T. E. (2005). Use of an overhead goal alters vertical jump performance and biomechanics. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, 19, 394-399.
- Han, K. H., & Lim, B. O. (2007). The effects of knee brace on the knee muscular neuro-biomechanical variables during the rebound in female highschool basketball players. Korean Journal of Sports Biomechanics, 17(4), 107-113. https://doi.org/10.5103/KJSB.2007.17.4.107
- Hewett, T. E., Myer, G. D., & Ford, K. R. (2006). Anterior cruciate ligament injuries in female athletes part 1, mechanisms and risk factors. The American journal of sports medicine, 34(2), 299-311. https://doi.org/10.1177/0363546505284183
- Hewett, T. E., Myer, G. D., & Ford, K. R. (2004). Decrease in neuromuscular control about the knee with maturation in female athletes. The Journal of Bone & Joint Surgery, 86(8), 1601-1608.
- Huston, L. J., Vibert, B., Ashton-Miller, J. A., & Wojtys, E. M. (2001). Gender differences in knee angle when landing from a drop-jump. American Journal of Knee Surgery, 14, 215-219.
- Lim, B. O. (2007a). Does a knee brace decrease recurrent anterior cruciate ligament injuries? Health & Sports Medicine; Official Journal of KACEP, 9(1), 103-109.
- Lim, B. O. (2007b). The effects of knee brace on the knee extensor and valgus moment during the rebound in female highschool basketball player. The Korean Journal of Physical Education, 46(4), 509-514.
- Lim, B. O., Kim, K. W., & Seo, J. S. (2012). The effects of knee brace on anterior cruciate ligament injuries risk factors during one-legged landing of female gymnasts. The Korean Journal of Physical Education, 51(4), 419-425.
- Lim, B. O., Ryu, Y., & Kim, K. W. (2013). Effects of gymnasts shoes on risk factors of anterior cruciate ligament injuries during drop landing in female gymnasts. Korean Journal of Sports Biomechanics, 23(3), 219-223. https://doi.org/10.5103/KJSB.2013.23.3.219
- Lu, T. W., Lin, H. C., & Hsu, H. C. (2006). Influence of functional bracing on the kinetics of anterior cruciate ligament-injured knees during level walking. Clinical Biomechanics, 21(5), 517-524. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clinbiomech.2005.12.017
- Malinzak, R. A., Colby, S. M., Kirkendall, D. T., Yu, B., & Garrett, W. E. (2001). A comparison of knee joint motion patterns between men and women in selected athletic tasks. Clinical Biomechanics, 16, 438-445. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0268-0033(01)00019-5
- Mallory, N., Kelsberg, G., Ketchell, D., & Lord, J. L. (2003). Clinical inquiries. Does a knee brace decrease recurrent ACL injuries? The Journal of Family Practice, 52(10), 803-804.
- McLean, S. G., Neal, R. J., Myers, P. T., & Walters, M. R. (1999). Knee joint kinematics during the sidestep cutting maneuver: potential for injury in women. Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, 31, 959-968. https://doi.org/10.1097/00005768-199907000-00007
- McNair, P. J., Marshall, R. N., & Matheson, J. A. (1990). Important features associated with acute anterior cruciate ligament injury. New Zealand Medical Journal, 103, 537-539.
- Meeuwisse, W. H., Sellmer, R., & Hagel, B. E. (2003). Rates and risks of injury during intercollegiate basketball. American Journal of Sports Medicine, 31(3), 379-385.
- Moller, E., Forssblad, M., Hansson, L., Wange, P., & Weidenhielm, L. (2001). Bracing versus nonbracing in rehabilitation after anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction: a randomized pro spective study with 2-year follow-up. Knee Surgery, Sports Traumatology, Arthroscopy, 9, 102-108. https://doi.org/10.1007/s001670000192
- Mountcastle, S. B., Posner, M., Kragh, J. F. & Taylor, D. C. (2007). Gender differences in anterior cruciate ligament injury vary with activity: epidemiology of anterior cruciate ligament injuries in a young, athletic population. American Journal of Sports Medicine, 35(10), 1635-1642. https://doi.org/10.1177/0363546507302917
- Myer, G. D., Ford, K. R., & Hewett, T. E. (2002). A comparison of medial knee motion in basketball players when performing a basketball rebound. Medicine Science and Sports in Exercise, 34(5):S247.
- Myklebust, G., Maehlum, S., Holm, I., & Bahr, R. (1998). A prospective cohort study of anterior cruciate ligament injuries in elite Norwegian team handball. Scandinavian Journal of Medicine and Science in Sports, 8(3), 149-153.
- Olsen, O. E., Myklebust, G., Engebretsen, L., & Bahr, R. (2004). Injury mechanisms for anterior cruciate ligament injuries in team handball: a systematic video analysis. American Journal of Sports Medicine, 32, 1002-1012. https://doi.org/10.1177/0363546503261724
- Ramsey, D. K., Lamontagne, M., Wretenberg, P. F., & Valentin. A. (2001). Assessment of functional knee bracing: an in vivo three-dimensional kinematic analysis of the anterior cruciate deficient knee. Clinical Biomechanics, 16, 61-70. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0268-0033(00)00065-6
- Ramsey, D. K., Wretenberg, P. F., Lamontagne, M., & Nemeth, G. (2003). Electromyographic and biomechanic analysis of anterior cruciate ligament deficiency and functional knee bracing. Clinical Biomechanics, 18, 28-34. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0268-0033(02)00138-9
- Rebel, M., & Paessler, H. H. (2001). The effect of knee brace on coordination and neuronal leg muscle control: an early postoperative functional study in anterior cruciate ligament reconstructed patients. Knee Surgery, Sports Traumatology, Arthroscopy, 9, 272-281. https://doi.org/10.1007/s001670100202
- Theoret, D., & Lamontagne, M. (2006). Study on three-dimensional kinematics and electromyography of ACL deficient knee participants wearing a functional knee brace during running. Knee Surgery, Sports Traumatology, Arthroscopy, 14(6), 555-563. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00167-006-0072-3
- Tylkowski, C. M., Simon, S. R., & Mansour, J. M. (1982). Internal rotation gait in spastic cerebral palsy in the hip. Proceedings of the 10th Open Scientific Meeting of the Hip Society, (Edited by Nelson, J. P.), 89-125. Mosby, St. Louis.
- Vailas, J. C. & Pink, M. (1993). Biomechanical effects of functional knee bracing. Practical implications. Sports Medicine, 15(3), 210–218. https://doi.org/10.2165/00007256-199315030-00006
- Yang, C. S., & Lim, B. O. (2014). Effects of arm position on anterior cruciate ligament injury risk factors in single-limb drop landing. The Korean Journal of Physical Education, 53(1), 441-449.
- Analysis on Biomechanical Differences in Lower Limbs Caused by Increasing Heart Rates During Drop-landing vol.25, pp.2, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5103/KJSB.2015.25.2.141