- Volume 44 Issue 1
Electron backscatter diffraction (EBSD) is widely used for quantitative microstructural analysis of the crystallographic nature of variety of materials such as metals, minerals, and ceramics. EBSD can provide a wide range of information on materials including grain size, grain orientation, texture, and phase identity. In the case of metallic alloys, EBSD now has become an essential technique to analyze the texture, particularly when severe deformation is applied to the alloys. In addition, EBSD can be one of the very useful tools in identification of twin, particularly in Mg alloys. In Mg alloys different type of twin can occur depending on the c/a ratio and stacking fault energy on the twinning plane. Such an occurrence of different type of twin can be most effectively analyzed using EBSD technique. In this article, the recent development of Mg alloys and occurrence of twin in Mg are reviewed. Then, recently published example for identification of tension and compression twins in AZ31 and ZX31 is introduced to explain how EBSD can be used for identification of twin in Mg.
Electron backscatter diffraction;Twin;Texture;Mg alloy
- Lee J Y, Yun Y S, Suh B C, Kim N J, Kim W T, and Kim D H (2014) Comparison of static recrystallization behavior in hot rolled Mg-3Al-1Zn and Mg-3Zn-0.5Ca sheets. J. Alloys Compd. 589, 240-246. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jallcom.2013.11.210
- Chino Y, Sassa K, Kamiya A, and Mabuchi M (2006) Enhanced formability at elevated temperature of a cross-rolled magnesium alloy sheet. Mater. Sci. Eng. A 441, 349-356. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.msea.2006.08.038
- Chino Y, Sassa K, and Mabuchi M (2008) Enhancement of tensile ductility of magnesium alloy produced by torsion extrusion. Scripta Mater. 59, 399-402. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scriptamat.2008.04.013
- Huang X, Suzuki K, Watazu A, Shigematsu I, and Saito N (2008) Microstructure and texture of Mg-Al-Zn alloy processed by differential speed rolling. J. Alloys Compd. 457, 408-412. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jallcom.2007.02.144
- Lim H K, Lee J Y, Kim D H, Kim W T, Lee J S, and Kim D H (2009) Enhancement of mechanical properties and formability of Mg-MMSn-Al-Zn alloy sheets fabricated by cross-rolling method. Mater. Sci. Eng. A 506, 63-70. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.msea.2008.12.037
- Mackenzie L W F and Pekguleryuz M O (2008) The recrystallization and texture of magnesium-zinc-cerium alloys. Scripta Mater. 59, 665-668. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scriptamat.2008.05.021
- Sun H F, Liang S J, and Wang E D (2009) Mechanical properties and texture evolution during hot rolling of AZ31 magnesium alloy. Trans. Nonferrous Met. Soc. China 19, 349-354. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1003-6326(10)60067-2
- Wang M, Xin R, Wang B, and Liu Q (2011) Effect of initial texture on dynamic recrystallization of AZ31 Mg alloy during hot rolling. Mater. Sci. Eng. A 528, 2941-2951. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.msea.2010.11.069
- Xia W, Chen Z, Chen D, and Zhu S (2009) Microstructure and mechanical properties of AZ31magnesium alloy sheets produced by differential speed rolling. J. Mater. Process. Technol. 209, 26-31. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmatprotec.2008.01.045
- Zhang Z, Wang M, Zhu S, and Jiang N (2012) Preferential dynamic recrystallization at original grain boundaries in the hot-rolling process of AZ31 alloy. Mater. Sci. Eng. A 544, 159-165.
- Agnew S R and Nie J F (2010) Preface to the viewpoint set on: the current state of magnesium alloy science and technology. Scripta Mater. 63, 671-673. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scriptamat.2010.06.029
Supported by : Ministry of Knowledge and Economy